In Search of the Tube

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

toofast
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by toofast »

I have to, I think it has to with being in the right place at the right time. I the places I surf aren`t known for the perfect, contsitent tube waves. Each wave is different. But what I have learned is, that are times that I need to drag my hand to slow down some. For me, all my boards do great in the tube.
splashy
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by splashy »

dorje wrote:Fair enough John Manas

oh and the best tube riding board is the one your on when the little sucker winks at ya :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
...this could just about be the meaning of life.... :lol:

I wouldn't be worrying too much about getting a board for tubes. Anything that you can ride, and have fun on, and can control to get you in the spot and you're there!!!

The closest thing I have to a "tube" board would be my 6' Bali board.... but it only works in down-the-line barrelling waves... damn!! No wonder I loev that board so much. Whenever I pull it out it means the surfing is CRANKING!!!
One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name - so stay tubed!
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

dont you guys have heaving reef breaks where every wave is a barrel...and nothing but a barrel???

This is when you need a dedicated tube board, all boards will manage, but a specified tube board will get you out of more barrels.

we have beachies that are barrel only waves aswell, get a barrel and thats it

:wink:
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
john -
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by john - »

Steenos

ive been up and down the great ocean rd for 30years and im yet to find a classical tube wave where u know you will come away with countless tubes and/or tubes only

I know a few places that when conditions are purrrfect will tube but im not the only one who knows about these places - crowwwwwwwwded on the day unless its mid-week and winter - when mostly im at work

id be surprised but interested if there was a standup tube board for the great ocean rd let alone a kneelo version

but as i said earlier if you got the course then get the right horse

dorje
merely labled
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I think what is missing from this discussion is that Jon Manss (and myself) are from the reefs of Santa Cruz County.

Jon grew up across the street from Mitchell's Cove and has reigned supreme at The Lane, Stockton Ave. and Sewer Peak for close to 40 years.
And you should see those Manss boys at The Harbor.

All reefs.....all killer barrels. No matter swell direction or size, there are always barrels. Thats how we grew up surfing. Our boards have evlolved into total tube riding machines. We've designed in characteristics to allow us to function out on the shoulder but thats all just a set up for the next, steep, barreling tube ride.

We're all products of our environment. In our case, kneeriding is tube riding. If I want to surf a small, flat face, I have a 1966 9'10" Yater.
kbing since plywood days
john -

Post by john - »

I have just read in the paper there is a $14 million dollar upgrade penciled in for the Great Ocean Rd - im about to start writing my submission for a beach with a tubing wave to be incorperated into expenditure plans :lol: :wink:

dorje

and some money for my "tube board" to road test the wave!
merely labled
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

Now Dan we are not in Hawaii. We do have to wait for the right swell direction, tide,size and wind conditions just like everyone else. As for making tube riding boards I don't think I have ever made a board specificly for tubes, but they have always been designed for our conditions. By the way it is flat and hot in SC while southern Cal is ripping on over head surf.
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

yes it is! 90 degree's and head high for 3 days straight and glass all day very little crowd here also . Fall should be more of the same.I love southern california(not cali).
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I wish I could have stayed in SoCal for today's fun but had to fly on home yesterday after a great surf session. My wife & I were so stoked on surfing great waves yesterday that we paddled out today - even though it was pretty close to flat.

Between Greenough's in-the-tube photography and Griffin's in-the-tube artwork, riding barrels on my KB has been my vision since Day One. Speed and manuevers are all but tools in preparation for setting up the next barrel.
kbing since plywood days
john -

Post by john - »

thanks wax

applying as we speak so to speak

:wink:

dorje

and i think thats 300 posts :shock: :D

do i get life membership like afl football players @300 games?

my grade 2 teacher told me i talk to much
merely labled
AM_Glass

Post by AM_Glass »

I looked at the board the Manss has for sale. Looks like a clean one and I'll be in the area soon. Is it still for sale? John, check your IMs