float

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

john -
Legend (Contribution King!)

float

Post by john - »

whats the design feature that creates "float" to get into waves easier

Ive just been checking out a flashpoint and Diplock on the UK site that apparently have this feature

Hey Wax ....you melted!

dorje
merely labled
john -

Post by john - »

good to hear your fingers tap :wink: :D
merely labled
john -

Post by john - »

wax

now your a shaper of some repute and a zen master toboot with your catch a wave and let the question disolve into the glorious emptiness of surfings pure left hander can i just say that there are no waves around he for the foreseeable future and since i had nought that was better to do can i the humble chela again trouble the wise with the original question to this thread being about attributes of float inherant in kneeboards

:?

however i am going to port macquarie for two nights this weekend for pa's 80th bash and i am taking the board in hope of a few no wetsuit surfs - im sure the question wont bother me at that time

dorje
merely labled
TIMO
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by TIMO »

I think you work out tonnes per centermetre of water line (sinkage) , or in this case convert tonnes back to KGs by moving the decimal piont.
As in ship building?
Why cant this have spell check! :shock:
Ben B.

Post by Ben B. »

Hey dorge,
bring the wettie pal,we have nrthly swell=coold currents!

:shock:
john -

Post by john - »

guest - i dont think incorrect spelling really bothers anyone here - i happen to like its creative nature

ben b - good tip - but as a victorian your cold currents are perhaps warm - all relative - but i will pack the spring and the hotskin - cheers - can i expect some waves then? - we have had 20 to 30 knot easterlys down this way for days - the absolute worst conditions

lama wax - its in the rocker eh - float then would seem to be a fancy pants advertisement term - well - this smuck wont go buying no kb based on float let me tell you

dorje
merely labled
red

Post by red »

Dorje,
Surfed 5 hours monday. Some good 1m waves. Perfect conditions. Methinks your part of the coast lacks a bit in the consistency department.

I had a 6' standup board that was 3' thick almost to the rails. I could paddle into anything. My kneeboard shortboards are now 6'0"!
If you can get the thickness and still have nice shape rails (say 1.5" thick at 1" in) you probably get the best of both worlds - paddle and rail control.

By the way, it's key to keep the nose down when paddling into waves so the board planes. Flipperless KS and standos do this way better than guys who wear flippers because they naturally lie further forward on the board. Guys with flippers tend to push the board into waves through brute force. The "nose-up" (stall) attitude of their board becomes obvious when they are sucked backwards up the face as they transition to their knees, whence a late drop and slower initial speed. Boards in trim tend to slide down the face and get less sucked backwards during get-up transition.
Geez - you can see I've frame by framed a few vids!

All spelling mistakes purely intentional.
john -

Post by john - »

Yep Red ive been very mindful of your boards and discussion - good info!

A woman i work withs partner who lives at Jan Jac on weekends but with her in melbourne during the week had monday off and rather than stay down this way also went to the island and had a blast to! (bastards!)

West coast just does not pick up the same summer swell as the island and Gunamatta way - still yesterdays and todays wind renders everywhere as crap but i did see some punters getting some reforms near fishos at torquay just before (sick day of with kid)

Maybe tomorrow if the wind settles as it has blown up quite a wind swell.

well all information logged in - i will check out my drop body position - and yep i do tend to drop late

dorje
merely labled
red

Post by red »

HW
By the way bodyboarders get into waves through reverse rocker. They push the front to flex the board and force it over the lip.
I think this overcomes pushing water effect as I described in post above.
hart

Re: float

Post by hart »

dorje wrote:
Ive just been checking out a flashpoint and Diplock on the UK site that apparently have this feature

dorje
Umm..

I don't know what float is, in the context with which you describe.

It may be a Diplock thing but certainly not a Flashpoint Surfing expression.

hart

PS

:D

Happy Christmas and New Year to everyone
john -

Post by john - »

hey hart

someone had labled a flashpoint as having float (and a diplock)- i checked twice but the adds change so may not be there any longer

good to be back online

dorje
merely labled
Tony B

Post by Tony B »

Hey dorje. Just to let you know - I have updated the ads on Kneeboard Surfing UK again.

I hope I dont get you confused again! I just try to give our customers as much info about the boards on our site as possble with what ever description suits bests.

Chin up and dont take things to seriously.

All the best.