Spoon Competitions: Soul Sessions or Muscle Flexing?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

RW
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by RW »

albert wrote:Its pretty obvious riding a spoon does not lend itself to excelling in current format contests. Otherwise everyone would be riding them in contests.

Therefore, whatever format is used to judge a spoon contest, its probably not going to be the current format..

Here's a short sequence taken during the 2004 Surfer Bowl. This is one of Terry's spoons being ridden during both the semi and final KB heats...as a non contestant.

The judging panel later said the spoon would have finished 2nd overall in the final....using the current judging system.

Imagine that.

So much for the different rules theory....and proof that small wave spoons have already been successfully designed......ages ago.

What it always comes down to in a contest format is experience, no matter what kinda device you chose to ride.
tumak
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by tumak »

Man O War - I think spoon riding will have to one day end up including the competitive angle IF enough people are on them, because a certain percentage of the people will feel the competitive urge. When that happens, THEY'LL figure out the parameters of contestability. In the meantime, spoon gatherings among soulful types (such as myself) should remain FLEXPRESSION SESSIONS!

I'd certainly like to order a spoon at some point; whenever I see a picture of Velo, that "gotta have" thing happens...and it's starting to happen more & more. -tumak
"Imprisonment in the contemporary is the worst of all intellectual tyrannies." -Weston La Barre
DarcyM
Legend (Contribution King!)

Re: spooned

Post by DarcyM »

Jack Beresford wrote:Spoonists,

I've never riden one but here's a thought - there are now small GPS systems that will record your fastest speed during your session. How about a bunch of guys paddle out at nice point break and the one with the fastest speed wins? No judges/jerseys necessary and GPS doesn't lie. Any tubes you get are just gravy.

Jack
Jack gets to wear 40 lbs of weights though just to even out the field ...
:twisted:

dm
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Burnwater

Post by Burnwater »

RW,
Seriously cool post. Could only come from an OBeachian. Thanks
tread lightly, lean forward, leave a clean trail.
john -

Post by john - »

hart wrote:whatever mate huh?
:D
merely labled
john -

Post by john - »

Man O' War wrote:Sorry, dorje, I've got my buddy's back on this one. Cost is no object, especially at first.

Don't worry, now that everyone knows your plight, not to mention the respect we feel for a struggling teacher with a family, you'll have your spoon, rejoice.

dont have a plight!!!!

my situation his better than most people in this world...ive travelled asia and africa so im sure of this

we rejoice in trying to be less selfish and
other peoples good qualities

cost is everything if there is nothing to start with....obvious no!

good luck with your projects

:D
merely labled
Chris Buscemi

Keep on flexing

Post by Chris Buscemi »

Flexman- Thanks for the information. I wonder if George has a mystery profile on this site and reads all these posts? That would be pretty wild.
-Chris
Flexman

Post by Flexman »

Last edited by Flexman on Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Man o' War,
Must stick my snoot in and add to the chorus: Keep it up!! This has been a fantastic subject, and if many others are like me, we're definately reading, if not contributing. Raptly.
G.G. is the reason a lot of us got on this crazy caravan. His lines (and "his" waves!) are a sort of goal for many, too....if I had any craftsman chops, I'd try to make one of those things, for sure. And if one of us can make spoons available for anything near affordability, man I'd try to get one :mrgreen:
(little green guy with a turd-eating grin: envious, covetous surfer/consumer)
And these threads have sure brought some interesting people out of the woodwork!
THANKS, mow
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

Sharkbait -- First of all, my respect for choosing the name you chose, and my prayers. Secondly, I appreciate the encouragement. Like you, I'm amazed. I have to check ksusa 5 or 6 times a day now, always excited about what might be there. This is evidently satisfying a hunger that's been there a long time. I'm being told that the posts are getting more and more outrageous (good) and that it looks like people had all this stuff stored up and are now pulling it all out. Friends are telling friends to check it out too. It all bodes really well for The Movement.

Personally, I feel grateful for each and every one of the bros (and sis) who've posted on this subject, especially Hart, who's sticking his neck out in a special way. I'm sure other pro shapers who are a little quieter than Hart the rugby player, as well as some budding shapers in the wings, are already working privately on ideas. It's going to be incredible to see how this thing blossoms, if it continues this way.

Since you're ready to beg, borrow or steal a spoon and I don't want you to get into trouble, I'm going to try to get all my spoon-building notes on this site this week on a string I'll cleverly call, "How To Build A Spoon." My goal is by Friday. Then you can have at it. Flexspoon has already given us the Clift Notes version--his motto is Just Do It, and the way he does it works for him. The McTavish article goes into more detail but still leaves a lot out. I'd like to get the whole process down step-by-step, including a materials list. It would be great if everyone who knows spoon-building would do the same, or at least read my notes and correct/supplement them. I'm thinking of Flexman, MTB, Flexspoon, Jon Manss, Surfhorn, and RW, but I'm probably forgetting someone, and there are probably others besides.

Originally, I was going to email the notes to anyone who wanted them, but I can see now the best way is to just post them.

It's been a big week for this side of kneeriding. Could this coming week be even bigger?
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

A PS TO JACK ABOVE -- I've been thinking about it, and just for coining the term "Spoonists," you deserve to have one, comp or no comp. That was classic, I hope it sticks.

You still have to wear Darcy's weights, though.

"Spoonists Of The World, Unite"
red

Post by red »

It would be great if everyone who knows spoon-building would do the same, or at least read my notes and correct/supplement them
Man'OWar

Thanks for your incredible offer.
NOW we're getting somewhere!
Was it the 3rd response to the original post that asked for a 'how to"?
Good stuff!
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I've been threatening to build a spoon for years; this might be the time.
Nothing like backyard surfboard construction. Love those pine needles in the hot coat! And my repair rack hasn't rotted away!

Seriously, though, I do have an old blank sitting in the garage..............
kbing since plywood days
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Man o', re your sat. post-

Big ups for your hard work.

I'd say it's Kneelo Community Activism at its finest.

visual depiction:

:idea: ... :?: ... :!: :arrow: :!: :arrow: :!: :arrow: :!: :arrow: :shock:

:) sharkbait

ps dumb ksusa nickname choice...3 am...ya know.

prayers accepted anyway

Jon
MTBarrels

Re: spooned

Post by MTBarrels »

Jack Beresford wrote:Spoonists,

I've never riden one but here's a thought - there are now small GPS systems that will record your fastest speed during your session. How about a bunch of guys paddle out at nice point break and the one with the fastest speed wins? No judges/jerseys necessary and GPS doesn't lie. Any tubes you get are just gravy.

Jack
Warning will(ing) riders! Jack is already gaming you. :)
Experience gained is in proportion to equipment ruined.