Kneeboarding At 3 G's

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Man O' War
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Man O' War »

Yes, it revealed a mass interest that deviates from the status quo, which appears to show that KB'ing is NOT in a tailslide...but it is in a tailslide until those who are wired to live the spoonist life are riding spoons.
Tumak mi socio -- A prof of mine once said, "The most powerful force in the world is one idea."

This idea is already accepted, so the tailslide is over and it's damn the torpedoes. It just takes a while for life to line up with belief.

I'd also like to think that this idea, spread in this way, will bring out the best in both mediums and increase the joy for everybody.

Hey, how about a word on our visit to the surf shop Saturday? No one tells it like you.
fooj

Post by fooj »

"This idea is already accepted, so the tailslide is over and it's damn the torpedoes. It just takes a while for life to line up with belief.

I'd also like to think that this idea, spread in this way, will bring out the best in both mediums and increase the joy for everybody."

MOW, are you thinking tailslide at 3G? Of course, gouging, fully committed, railburning tailslide, heheh.
bongbong
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

Foo -- Not quite sure what you mean, but may you be the first to do it, man! Just make sure your swim fins have some asbestos.
tumak
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by tumak »

...our visit to Ultimate Sports Warehouse,
Twas in the moon's last quarter...waning.
There, after Da Kine Diego's ultra burritos,
We entered fiery under the sun.
Only WE had ridden that day, through sheer determination,
As the waves were...really small.
Anyway, as they say, we opened the door
And entered the shop...and brother Mark was HOLDING.
He was holding the mysterious black slab from
2001: A Space Odyssey.
The gathered hominids stood in transcendent AWE as they
Struggled to reach - tried so hard to touch - this THING from
Beyond their known dimension.

Proof of LIFE OFF THE PLANET...OUT THERE...
An object of prayer while down on one's knees...
A resting place for the troubled Spirit.

A vehicle of metatechnological transactions with the oceanic vortices
Like nothing they had ever seen...they stood virtually speechless...
Like the first to see an atlatl, a Clovis point, a bow, or a wheel...

We had fun!

-tumak
"Imprisonment in the contemporary is the worst of all intellectual tyrannies." -Weston La Barre
RW
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by RW »

:arrow: I addressed a specific topic which no longer exists and find my original input unrelated to this New Topic Heading. Please excuse my small intrusion as a profound analitcal error in my comprehensive reading skills. I guess it's the downside of the aging process.

At this time I elect to remain silent regarding the implications of this thread's New opening statement.

I have no meritorious commentary worth sharing on the schizophrenic nature of community bulletin boards.....it appears to work for those who need the outlet.

Guess it wasn't worth much afterall. 8)
shoulder huggin' chickens
fooj

Post by fooj »

RW, Your post was killer and relevant, even to the new heading. It's too bad you took some of it off. We're all probably schizophrenic to some degree, just some of us hide it better (not me...me either). Yeah, looking back and forward at the same time is hard and confusing. I disagree with you and would say that your posts are worth much. I hope you saved your original and can put it back up, its good to know that there are people out there doing things very inspired and intelligent that can be gleened upon by the next generation, whoever they are.
bongbong
john -

Post by john - »

[quote="tumak"]
One is foamy, too long and comfy,
quote]

tumak....the next time i get drilled and my board (foamy long & comfy) is possibly going to cannon into my head or the fins slice something, i will remember the above statement

though i do believe spoons are harder

speaking of such did anybody catch the photo from teaupho (spelling?)of the tow in jet ski sans rider, dropping in on the local who had been towed (4meter wave) and apparently missing his head by all of not much
merely labled
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

RW -- Your post was beautiful, friendly, illuminating and promising. Now this. Hats off for leaving in your Terry section, which showed class. But when we address a negative situation and contribute to its reversal, we're allowed to celebrate.

I hope you continue to cruise ksusa and contribute, but there's no guarantee that success won't break out again.
red

Post by red »

Using my powers of Edit, I've done my best to put things right.
Confused the hell out of me
No wonder I couldn't find previous posts!

The thing that interests me most about spoons is being able to carry the width in the tail yet retain manoeuvrability. But it surprises me that the boards are mostly narrow and that the tails are narrow, too.
To my thinking, then, all the speed is coming from the flat rocker rather than wide planing surface (forgetting about the board's natural inclination to tap into the power source in the wave). Is this a functon of the boards being meant for good waves, so large planing surface is not needed to help retain speed through flat spots?

Another thing. I've read a lot about GG being small. Did we as kneeboarders "inherit" board dimensions from him? Is that why almost all boards in the 70's were 5 3/4 feet or so?
flexspoon

Post by flexspoon »

tumak said:
The way it looks to me is that KB'ing is evolving into two 21st century species. In fact, perhaps kneeboarding and spooning are two different species already. Perhaps there's kneeboard surfing and then there's spoon surfing... two distinct forms. One is foamy, too long, and comfy, while the other is bold, brazen, inventive, hard edged, and retro-minded and future-thinking at the same time.
You've got it! 2 different species. Much farther apart than kneeboard surfing -vs- standup surfing.

Think of a piece of wood carved in the shape of a fish floating in the ocean compared to a living, moving, flexible fish swimming along.

Board size:
In my ignorance I must ask a question - what is the advantage of flotation in a kneeboard? And why did they get bigger and bigger?

It seems to me that over the past 25 years that surfboards have gotten smaller and shorter while kneeboards have gotten larger and longer.
Just as football "pants" have gotten shorter and basketball shorts have gotten longer?

Spoon size:
I'll use my racecar analogy. I raced Pro Rally. It was the form of car racing where the driver had the most to do with the outcome. You race your car 1 at a time on an unknown stretch of road with no one to see you do it. It's just you against the road. You select and setup your car to do what you want when you want and according to your particular style - I liked being loose and hanging out the rear end with LOTS of power.

When you set up a car the driver is just so much balast that you must contend with. You don't change the wheelbase for a heavier driver.

So with spoons they were designed for the best COMPROMISE (because everything is a compromise) between speed and manueverability. The flexible nature of spoons(copied from actual living, swimming creatures) means much less compromise. The spoon itself adjusts while you're riding, much like the suspension in a racecar. So when you need to go fast, the bottom is flat for planning and when you need to carve a turn it bends and twists to accomplish the turn(like turning the steering wheel in a car).

The edge board rocker(bottom) will actually go from flat to concave to bent
in a turn to bending flatter(or beyond flat?) by pushing down on the nose.

Oh yeah this was in response to Red.

My Velo board is 22" wide and 5' long. Widest board I've ever had.

Edge board is 19.5 wide by 5' and is a triplane so the bottom planning area is even narrower. People have told me it is too small for me. I never felt that. I do feel that it is too flexible for me and will stiffen it up soon. And remember this edge board does NOT even float. It will sink.

And for sure the edge board is the fastest I have ridden.

So my feeling is that spoons get their planing and lift not from the size but from their variable shape and planning. A flat or concave bottom for speed then a curved,bent and twisted one for turning. Thats why I've posted some of the flex and twist shots - the shape you see on the beach or in the shaping racks is not what you will be riding on a wave.

This fact makes me really appreciate the challanges of shaping a foam and glass kneeboard or surfboard. It would be like the guys who race NASCAR not being allowed to adjust their cars during the race as conditions changed.

All my spoons until this Velo board were at the widest 20.5" and 5' long. And I've weighed between 180 and 200lbs. They worked well in 2-3' beachbreak and 12' Rincon. I never felt lacking.

Hope that answers something. Remember - maybe I just don't know any better - having always/only ridden spoons! Ignorance is bliss.
Living the Greenough Legacy...and beyond
john -

Post by john - »

Hi flexspoon

some of your post refers to the quiz i offered to u on your thread re spoons.... it would be interesting to hear your comments after riding a modern cutting edge foam/glass board...and I used the road bikes to mountain bikes as a spoon/foam board comparison

.or were you avoiding me? :oops: :cry: :wink:

Beeline has posted a thread on board design that looks into longer boards...Red perhaps has good answers as he got a 6.3 flashie last year that hart suggested rides both long and short

the feeling of the two boards may well be poles apart from reading about spoons.......and modern boards have perhaps evolved parallel to the standup progression

the idea of longer kneeboards is in some part based on easy paddle and earlier entry - we are getting old no! :wink: but it also has helped in crowds

hart and red are obvious the best to answer from what ive read...but check Beelines development of longer boards as a primer....and do have a go on a modern foam/glass number as i hope to one day have a go on a spoon
merely labled
joe

Post by joe »

I've never riden a spoon and I've only seen them out in the line up a couple of time. RW's post mentioning San Diego spoon riders of days past brings to memory a magic session many years ago - late 70's.

A couple of us groms were lucky enough to find big rock going off and no one out. We were joined shortly after by Creature riding this beat up board that looked like it was falling apart. He completely dominated taking off impossibly deep and making everything. Gave us a real surfing lesson.

He showed us his board and explained it was a spoon. Tri fin I think. I had no idea what a spoon was, but this board didn't look like it would work as well as it did. Not your ordinary spoon, he had filled in the deck with boogey board type foam. Plenty of float and lots of flex. It looked like a standard kneeboard with the fiberglass deck pealed off.

Now this board certainly worked, but was it true to the spoon ideal? A good compromise? Would the additional float make it more competitive in the line up?
red

Post by red »

Flexspoon,
Thanks for your feedback. I'm learning all the time. I'll learn a lot more when I get my hands on a spoon. I'm just trying to get some principles clear before I make one. But I've noticed how much water GG's board pushed out the front (Crystal Voyager) so the design is not flawless yet. I need to understand why he was pushing water - wave shape, board length, board width? The discussion in these threads is helping with all this. (Oops! Did I just attack a sacred cow?)
kneeboard? And why did they get bigger
You'll understand when you paddle a 6'6" (or bigger) kneeboard into some big waves. Takes all the stress out of it - let's you concentrate on surfing (Well, kind of - like those guys on 12', 3" thick guns at Sunset, I suppose).
A more rational (personal) answer is that surfboard bottom contours changed. When they were flat (in the 70's) kneeboards could go fast enough. As they curved, kneeboards needed more length/width to be able to have the speed yet still be turned. Surfboards can be flattish and so retain speed for length but competition style (aka surfing imitation) kneeboarding requires lots of curve but still needs speed - whence longer and wider K/B shapes of the 80's and 90's. Too much width is a problem, so it became pragmatic to trade width for length.
When you set up a car the driver is just so much balast
But you'll change the set up when you change the power train. The rider is the power train of the board. They need to be matched (just ask Simon Anderson!)
22" wide and 5' long
From what I've seen the spoons look about 18" wide at 12" up and 16" at 9" from the tail?
This, combined with flat bottom in the "business end" (the last 2' of board) is where the speed comes from, I think. Oh, yes, those hard edges all help with speed, too. I'd be looking more tail width than this (pending feedback to the contrary).
The beauty of the flex is how it allows manoeuvrability. This point on the speed/turn trade off is not possible with stiff foam boards.

Apologies in advance if I've ruffled any feathers. I only know what 30 years of competition style K/S has taught me.
hart

meat

Post by hart »

Red..umm

so I pick

[d] X

..all the above makes sense

:D

with no contradiction whatsoever, to the past

8)

and I've only noticed GG pushing water when his bottomcurve is loaded yet he is unweighted (and I loathe that term)..like at the immediate point after a 'bounce'

[..and maybe his later edgeboards eliminated this]

But foam boards by sheer fabric alone, must be shaped to reflect the principles of rigidity and flex. all within the one (almost rigid)medium..

Somewhere, at some point..within the inherent straightness of bottom line.. curves must appear..be it by way of outline or rail

..and this is of course, only possible with length.

hart

meaning that with length alone, the lessons of the past have been observed, by some at some stage..in the future