Utility of a Flex Spoon

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

AM_Glass
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Utility of a Flex Spoon

Post by AM_Glass »

All the talk of spoons has "peaked" my interest. I would consider making my own or buying one except one point that sticks out every time it's made, "Spoons are only good in lined up point waves." I, living in Santa Crowdz, Crowdedfornia, rarley get more than a few waves when the points line up, and most of those are spent dodging people. I don't complane, I move away. There are pleanty of good sessions to be had when it's smaller, or not lined up, or at some out of the way spot that shouldn't be working so nobody has checked it. These sessions come as a surprise to me, and I don't have the ability to carry multiple boards to the beach (bikeing or small car w/ fear of car getting broken into.) So I want to know if I could use a spoon as my primary board. How well would a spoon work at a decent lined up reef or beach break? Maybe 4 foot with a good 10 yard section to race? A mushy point, breaking at higher tide before the hotshots think the tide is right? Will these waves even begin to light the spoon fire? **

If not, how can I get used to the board and be ready for the good day when the points are working and I happen to have the board with me? If I'm riding a modern kneeboard most of the time because the spoon doesn't work, will it be difficult to switch to the spoon?

**(This reminds me of the bonzer longboards Eaton makes, they are just plain old eggy longboards untill the waves are 6'+ with juice, then they are TOTALLY different. Many people never got to experience then in better waves and so know nothing of thier potential. Their small wave experienced opinion is that they're nothing boards and they sold them.)
It could be worse, I could be in Oakla-homa.
Man O' War
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Man O' War »

Glass -- If you haven't already done it, read through the four or five other recent spoon threads. There's plenty of discussion on the practicality of spoons by guys with experience.

Somewhere buried in my parents' attic is Super 8 footage of me, 17, riding my spoon alone at Stockton Ave, shot from the ice plant, early morning high tide, kind of bouncy and short-shouldered, not epic Stockton, not classic spoon conditions, and having so much fun! But there might be something wrong with me.

One thing for sure: you live in place that has the juice. Stay in touch with Jon Manss and Scott Wessling; they'll be interested in what you're doing.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

MOW - Grab that Super 8 film and have it transfered to digital medium IMMEDIATELY. You can then make me a copy which I will add to the archives at the Surfing Museum. I'm serious, boy!

That's a good point for all of you. Old film degrades horribly....you need to preserve whatever you have NOW! There isn't that much surfing footage around, let alone KNEEBOARDING FOOTAGE. I've been putting info together re: kneeboarding history/contact info so whenever I can spare a moment, we can develop a 'KBing in Santa Cruz' exhibit for the museum.
(maybe in the "Jon Manss Wing"............)
kbing since plywood days
flexspoon
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by flexspoon »

"Spoons are only good in lined up point waves."
True for the Velo type board. The edge type board rides everything, 2' - 15'. I never owned a Velo type board until just recently for that very reason. And now if today I was faced with perfect, peeling 10' walls I could ride either Velo type or edge board - they would both rip. The decision would then be based on how I wanted to ride and what I wanted to feel.
It's all about the feeling.

And the middle type board the I mentioned in the "spoon basics" thread rides pretty much everything also. If you are going to make a board I would suggest the "middle variety". Like the ones at Ron Romonowsky's site.

Get the "Crystal Voyager" DVD. I got mine at Wetsand. Greenough riding mainly edge boards in 2-4' waves. On many of those waves Velo would not work or would be very frustrating. If you have the "Children of the Sea" DVD watch him ride Velo in better waves.

Compare the two, look closely at the spray coming off each type of board and you can see how "efficient" the edge boards are. And how little movement or effort he puts into riding the edge board -vs- Velo.
Living the Greenough Legacy...and beyond
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

Dan -- It's from Jan. 1970, so I guess it would be old enough for the museum, and Jon was the one who ruled the roost at that time, so locating it in his wing would be a good call. But man, I've looked all over for that film. No one in my family remembers where they put it. It's more lost than the horn section of an intermediate school band.

Tenover -- I agree with Flexspoon. The problem with a true velo is the severity of that hull, and edge boards have their own set of challenges. The middle board (a toned-down velo) sounds wise.