fin placement

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

waka
Legend (Contribution King!)

fin placement

Post by waka »

would like some feedback on this if possible
after rideing a 5 10 tri-fin drift the other day, I felt something wasnt right with this board compared to a 6 footer he made me last year. It turn alright, but lack "drive".
The 6 footer goes unreal in both small and big surf, which is funny as it was intended as a big wave board. Its one of those boards that just "feel" right in all conditions.
Got home and pulled out the tape measure to see if the fin placements were the same, and found there was some difference.
Got out a 510" Island board, which also powers in smaller surf, and decided to compare all three boards fin placements.
the Islands 2 main fins are set at 18"1/4
with the tail fin set at 8"1/4
the spaceing between the main fins is 18", with 1/4" toe-in
The 5 10 drift main fins are set at 16"1/2
with the tail fin at 11"1/2
the spacing between the main fins is 15"1/4, with 1" toe-in
The 6 foot drift main fins are set at 17"3/4
with the tail fin at 10"1/2
the spaceing between the main fins is 16", with 1/2" toe-in.
Iwas surprised at the difference in the fin placements, and how it affected the "feel" of the boards
Two of the boards had fin systems, while one was fixed fins, this i supposed could have a affect on the performance of the board.
The Island is for smaller surf, which accounts for the greatest difference in fin placement, with the other two built for larger surf.
It would be good if i could have some feedback on this subject.
Hope you can understand my babble!
waka
Just call me 'Poppy'
Wandandian Devil
K-man

Post by K-man »

Thats seems to be a tight fin cluster in comparison to your other boards.Taking into account all the variables in three different boards,the tight cluster may be the reason for lack of drive.

cheers :)
K-man

Post by K-man »

Thats seems to be a tight fin cluster in comparison to your other boards.Taking into account all the variables in three different boards, especially the fin spread-trailing edge to trailing edge in in/cent,the tight cluster ''might'' account for lack of drive.

cheers
Steven Lewis
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

ANY INFO FOR QUADS

Post by Steven Lewis »

There are so many board's out there to many to name and they all place there fin's different, But from all the board's I have been looking at the one board set up I liked the front fin's were set at 16in with the fin's 1 1/2 from the rail and the back's were set at 8 in and the fin's were set the same 1 1/2 from the rail, And yes I like glass better.
Steve
dannyh
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

fin placement

Post by dannyh »

Hi
dude.
first : what feel do you want the board to have tight/loooose.
second: what size surf do you normally surf in (not the freak days)
third: how heavy are ya.
forth: how tall are ya
fith: how many yrs kneeloing.
sixth: are you a barell bandit or a face rider.

Sorry my name is danny I shape HS boards (kneelos/mals)
i also own the company any help i can give ill be glad to .
kooooooooooool
cya
danny :)
no no I just take out the trash.
Burnwater
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Burnwater »

I love muckin’ about with fins. Since I don’t shape my own boards it’s one area of design where I can enjoy experimenting and not worry about ruining boards.
One reason I go with the FCS setup is that I’ve discovered I can use other brands of fins such as Futures, Rainbow or O’FishL. With a simple coping saw, a mill file and some sand paper I can convert any of them to not only fit FCS plugs but to control placement of the fin studs to affect fin placement. For example If I’m looking for more drive and speed I can take the appropriate fin, cut out the studs toward the front of the fin placing it further back on the board for added drive while at the same time creating more flex in the trailing edge of the fin (similar to a Speedfin) allowing improved water flow and thus added speed.
It’s not brain surgery. Any Home Depot hero can do it, and Its always a hoot when you come up with something that works.

PS Hint: Ruin a few plastic fins first before moving up to the more expensive glass or carbon fins.
tread lightly, lean forward, leave a clean trail.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Hey Waka
the spacing between the main fins is 15"1/4, with 1" toe-in
the toe in's one clue here - assuming that: the fin rake, the fin flex and the fin bases (not to mention the rocker and the kneeling position relative to the fins) are equivalent.
waka

fin placement

Post by waka »

Thanks guys for all the feedback-
K-man's comment about the fin set up on the 5' 10" being a tight fin cluster is pretty much spot on, and i think this board would suit larger , tubey waves.
Dannyh,
I surf waves rangeing from your average beachie (the Farm, Mystics) to reef and point breaks, and i like rideing boards that are purpose built for these conditions.Being a fairly heavy build , i do like larger reef waves , but still enjoy a paddle in the small stuff.
Started out 25yrs ago on a Carey twin fin, then to twins with a small fin stabiliser, back to a 4 fin system similar to what Bud makes, and then to Daves 4 fin setup.
I found that the four fins tended to 'track' to much, which was not letting me turn, but hey they have speed to burn! It was surfing with Slats and the boys, that got me back onto the tri-fins, and found more 'pivot' in my surfing.I was also rideing flat bottom boards, with now the double concave or channels , this has also made a huge difference.
I am still playing around with fins Harry, the 6 ft board had custom fibreglass fins made by Dave Parkes, while the 5'10" had fixed fins very similar in length and rake.The Island board that i bought from Neil Luke had plastic fins-x-cell and the main fins are 'retro' twin fins-very broad base, with a slightly smaller third fin in the tail, and i LUV that board, so much drive from those big fins!
Now i am getting custom fibreglas fins made ln 'retro', and standard base and rake, to fit FCS.The fun is in the experimenting with all these varibles!
thanks again guys :D
waka
Just call me 'Poppy'
Wandandian Devil