Clark Foam has Quit Business

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

ScottMac
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
kneecaps
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by kneecaps »

I think he has a patent on the blanks (or some part of the process) which has acted as a barrier preventing other entreprenuers from entering this market.
He horded that privilage, as he should have...
but perhaps licensing out his patent to some other company that can make custom-blanks(?) within the confines of local and national environmental laws, even though he apparently was...
may be smart by him, and good for the industry.
When in doubt, trust your rail.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
kneecaps

Post by kneecaps »

The shapers may want to check their property insurance policies for some contingent business interruption coverage that may apply...
They may have some lost income, extra expense, etc. coverage for the "shutdown" of a major supplier.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

so whats wrong with epoxy?
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin W
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Kevin W »

Can't we all just order boards from Australia now? Or did they get their foam from Clark too?
-Kevin Williams
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kneecaps

Post by kneecaps »

Beeline wrote:I heard all the boards in the Used Board Section
just went up by $50

:twisted:
I assume that would include yours too?! :evil:
hart

foam

Post by hart »

Kevin W wrote:
Can't we all just order boards from Australia now? Or did they get their foam from Clark too?
Australia blows its own foam

There are 4 blank factories within one square kilometre of mine (only two of which that blow kneeboard blanks) that have all been contacted by US companies looking for supply

I would say that Dion Chemicals and Midget (Surfblanks) Sydney's largest foam suppliers, will be most interested in the recent developments in the US

hart
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

From Scotty Mac " Guy's like Bud would have an advantage though, having the shaping machine for the rockers."
We have the technology up here as well. I have talked to this source and so have others. There may be an expanded epoxy line coming your way soon. This is all good to see a new adventure in the surfing world. It will be interesting who the new players will be. [/quote]
Shelfbreak
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Shelfbreak »

Thanks Scott Mac for the posting the article from the Santa Cruz Sentinel. It seems like a curious decision if as reported the company wasn't facing any immediate sanctions for environmental or safety issues. Why didn't he sell the business if dealing with EPA etc was giving him the shits?

It does seem a bit shabby with respect to those clients that have maintained professional dealings with Clark foam.

Hopefully like nature, business abhors a vacuum.
Shelfbreak
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Guess I'm going to have to harvest some redwoods and mill some 2 3/4 " lumber....................Back to the Future.

But if we can come up with environmentally sensitive stock material then is the glass half empty or half full?

Which reminds me that I need to go grab another glass of my Duckhorn cab.
kbing since plywood days
albert

Post by albert »

Shelfbreak wrote:Thanks Scott Mac for the posting the article from the Santa Cruz Sentinel. It seems like a curious decision if as reported the company wasn't facing any immediate sanctions for environmental or safety issues. Why didn't he sell the business if dealing with EPA etc was giving him the shits?
I thought the same when I read the article, then I read Clark's 7 page fax and it changed my mind, it also reminded me of how the EPA (and other regulatory agencies in California) operate.

I think the journalist was pressed to find actual fines imposed by the regulatory agencies, because there were so few. These agencies typically threaten to impose these fines in the hopes of avoiding the paperwork and having the firm correct its actions without having to resort to the use of the legal system. I think what got to Clark was the mounting amount of threats and the fact that if they did go through the process of fining Clark foam for the infringements regarding TDI it would amount to a very large fine. Not to mention all the other bits and pieces that were noncompliant. Better to walk away now and nip it in the bud rather than draw the process out for decades and pay millions more than what he is actually going to pay.

just my 2 cents...
T Hall

Recycle those old boards

Post by T Hall »

While everybody is in shock about the closure of Clark foam I'm surprised that the subject of surfboard recycling hasn't surfaced. Today at the local landfill I picked up a Doug Haut shaped Sail board. This 1985 board is made with Clark foam, is a 9'6" winged pintail that is 4" thick 24"wide and has a 1" high density foam T-band stringer with 1/8" wood stringers on each side. This board not only has length to spare but a ton of thickness to accomodate lots of different shapes. $5.00 was the purchase price. Now do you think that I can get a nice 6'0" kneeboard out of this or what? For a little extra work this old board will provide me with a brand new custom board. I'm stripping it tomorrow but I'll take some pictures of it before I tear into it so I can have some before and after shots for comparison. Anybody else out there reusing old boards? It's a great alternative. T Hall