Kneeboard foam blanks

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

MIK911
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Kneeboard foam blanks

Post by MIK911 »

Are the foam blanks used to shape a kneeboard different than a surfboard? Can a kneeboard be shaped from a surfboard blank, or is the rocker, width,etc prohibitive?
If so, I assume that once the Clark kneeboard blanks are used up, all shapers will need to find alternatives (EPS, epoxy, foam from other companies, etc), right?

Are there any altermative foam boards on the market yet? (EPS, etc)

thanks
boards_and_fins
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by boards_and_fins »

Blanks exist for kneeboards, both poly and EPS. Rhino and Safari both make a fish type blank that work well for kneeboards. EPS is always an option, I have one and the jury is still out except regarding durability which is really good so far.
your mom goes to college
landy
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

foam blanks

Post by landy »

the clark 62c had a very limited use as kneeboards go only being suitable for thin narrow boards 221/2x 21/2 and up to 6 1 in length there are much better blanks available surfblanks australia has two plugs available one is a 6 2 and the other is a 6 10 also bennet dion have a 6 6 plug and last but not least surf blanks south africa have one 6 3 and a6 8 coming out very soon all far better than the 6 2c plus the foam itself is far superior the best being surfblanks oz +they all should be available now the clark monoply has gone.
surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by surfhorn »

Kneeboard shapers who have been in the game for over 30 years can shape from any blank. Compared to today's blanks which are very close to being a finished board, older shapers come from a day when you had to actually fully shape the rocker.
kbing since plywood days
MIK911

Post by MIK911 »

So anyone order a new board since Clark folded? If so, what type of 'foam' and how's it surf compared to 'traditional' Clark type foam?
Andy

Shaping EPS blanks

Post by Andy »

Went to order my next blank recently - saw an EPS blank and was impressed by the lightness and apparent hardness vs the std polyeurethane blank. The epoxy glassing can apparently also be lighter, board is more bouyant etc - all this sounds too good 2 B true !? I hear the EPS, being harder, is more difficult to shape eg planer blades must be super sharp, hand tools are difficult to use etc. I really like the idea of lightness/bouyancy, the possibility of some flex under turns & longetivity isnt really an issue.

Should i take the plunge and go for it or chicken out and stick with the polyeurethane blank ?
WillP

Post by WillP »

I recently made 3 boards and found the US Blanks 6'2"A and 6'5"A very suitable for kneeboards up to 23" wide. The 3rd was made from a White Hot EPS 6'4"F.

The EPS from White Hot was actually very user friendly compared to some of the other EPS options out there.

Call Foam EZ and ask for Brad. He's more than willing to answer all of your questions.
skansand

eps

Post by skansand »

i make my own blanks with insulfoam and urethane glue....just glue two sheet together and tape to bottom of a glassed kneeboard for rocker...let it sit a couple days and start shapin......2 4x8 sheets cost $18-24 depending on what density you buy....1ib shapes easiest but 2ib floats more =thinner board....i like 1.5 myself....so for 18-24$ you get 2 blanks for 23" wide boards...24" if you have a hotwire..

with eps you should glass heavier because of the spongy foam...but itll still be lighter than your light-glassed poly board......and you NEED to use epoxy..i went through 3 burned blanks before i learned..... :oops:
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
rhwilson

Blank for Kneeboard

Post by rhwilson »

I'm having a new board built. Shaper ordered a 9'-6" blank, to get the thickness we wanted. thick blank, easy to get rocker we wanted. Its a custom Fish, so I'm doing a 3 t-band stringer Fish. One t-band down the center. One each side, beginning at the nose and ending at each tail. Nose and tail blocks to match. Awsome stick, G&S is doing the polishing now. Hope to get it wet before Christmas. PLUS-ONE-SURFBOARDS, George Gall designed and shaped. I'll post a photo when I pick it up.
OLD GRAY KNEELO
gene west

Blanks

Post by gene west »

I snapped 2 Hynsons in the past month at the rock, not sure what Mike used blank wise, but how I miss Clarks triple stringers for strength!!!
geno
rhwilson

Kneeboard blanks

Post by rhwilson »

While I'm having a new board built, I picked up a ULI 5'10" Fish. Inflatable, great for travel. It's not a performance board but it is allot of fun. Floats great, has soft rails , Deflate and roll it up and put it in a duffel bag. Everyone I tell laughts until they watch me inflate it, Blows everyone away! Small enough to carry-on when you fly. Same with their 6-6, 7-6, and 8-6.
OLD GRAY KNEELO
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

hmmm, an inflatable fish...this I gotta see. Do you have an URL for it???

Almost sounds like an inflatable girlfriend :lol: :twisted: :wink:
still here

Post by still here »

Speaking of blanks, check out the pics of the blank being used to shape the latest Drift board on the KSA site

www.kneeboardsurfaustralia.com
T Hall

Post by T Hall »

Hey Geno,
I have a couple of well seasoned clark 62-C blanks in my shed. Custom ordered them right before they closed down. Even have the reciepts for custom order from fiberglass hawaii in Santa Cruz. Custom tri strings, all redwood with the side stringers 6" from center. Not warped and turned on the rack weekly. Got real lucky getting them when I did. Havn't done anything with them yet. Drooling yet?
T Hall

Post by T Hall »

Sorry I meant a couple of well seasoned 69-A blanks.
T Hall.