A PROPOSAL

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

eqKneelo
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by eqKneelo »

Surfhorn, JDC, SFkneelo,
Ok... if that's the way you guys feel, maybe that's what's best.
Maybe that's what The KSUSA should be.

But you have to be honest... this site is NOT getting a diverse opinion anymore.
A lot of the best surfers... the best shapers... and the most supportive guys are NOT participating anymore. (Except in The Photo Gallery. :D)
There are a lot of people who come to this site for that inspiration... they want to aspire to those levels.
Without their voices... their knowledge... the site loses it's appeal to THOSE surfers... and they too drift away.
So the question becomes "What's best for the Community."?

The status-quo or some BIG changes to hopefully re-invigorate the site.
barry

the site

Post by barry »

I like the creativeness and openminded process going on now 8)
heres my thoughts/opinion on how the community can benefit.
we could have a site sort of a kneelo.com thing that has the forums, etc.
where people can post and communicate sort of freely like this site has been

Then have the KSUSA site be a sorta kneeriding Library and/or Archive.
that can still put on events,etc.
in the site we can adopt the best and positive aspects from other sites ksa etc by having interviews, premium photos, research and design articles from shapers (current and past)
Then when the kneelo community around the globe is going to have an event it could be a great promotional tool for media, sponsorship, etc that is necessary to put on a worldclass event!
I speak for myself saying I could have personally went out and got more sponsors to donate to the past ksusa events (which could have made them even better)
but In reading the forums at those times the lack of respect for 1 another was down right embarrassing.
so to have a sponsor come and research the site to see if they want to be associated with it and its events was not even an option :shock:
to all involved in this family, keep up the good work.
Peace to you all, Barry
kage
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by kage »

my $.02
I wonder if KSUSA as an organization needs to be different than the site. KSUSA is a parent organization. And then there is a website where people mix it up.
And/or one of the forums is designated rude. If someone is being a butthead - they get slotted in that forum and all those who like that kind of thing can join in.
we are the knights that say knee
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

EQ,

I'm not sure your following the 'everybody' part. I mean everybody!

That includes you.

Please don't jump too far ahead on the solution. I'm gathering the requirements from the community.

There have definitely been design ideas, call them prototypes, like Barry's, that are in play, and those thoughts can help build better requirements... what we want or don't want...

In the end, the design, and then the actual solution, better meet the requirements of the whole community, or we will lose that part of the community.

That's the level where I'd like to keep things until we can present the complete design.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Who are the best surfers/shapers? And, if not posting on the KSUSA site, where have they fled?

KBing is such a small community, dividing it further by splintering off into elitist pockets does no one any good. Your everyday KBer doesn't receive new info and the board builders lack an avenue for feedback and potential sales which further fuels their design research.

I love having current shapers keeping us posted on what they're shaping and experimenting with. I don't design or work on boards anymore but relish the time I spent working on new kneeboard shapes. The work of the new generation is refreshing.

But why let a few knuckleheads stop the fun. If someone is antagonistic, just don't respond; they will go away. Or a moderator will intervene.

But I don't want a site where only a select few try and preach to me. This site for me is purely for recreation. I ride what I ride and my boards work. But its fun to read about the new styles.

I hope the site remains mainly as it is.
kbing since plywood days
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

SFkneelo- :?
Not sure what you meant by that... or what you were referring to... but you sound angry so this will be my last post till the new "model" arrives.

Also, I think it best if I sit out next weeks KSUSA TITLES.
I don't think it's fair to put people who agree with me in the awkward position of defending me... and it's definitely NOT fair for those people who strongly disagree (and I know there are many. :wink:) to have to listen to my annoying voice for two days.
This should be forgotten and the Contest enjoyed.

Best of luck and have a great Comp.
EQ
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Hello,

What I meant by that is that your proposal is valid, and addresses the needs of a segment of the community. By everyone, I don't intend to discount YOUR needs. That was my point.

I'm listed along some others as ones who feel your proposal is not best for the site. I'm trying to say that I'm gathering ideas so we can best figure out HOW to meet everyone's needs.

I should have broken the last post into two, one to validate your needs, and the other is a addressed to all as to how I see the solution developing.

To all, we should all be careful about giving the respect to the needs of others, even if they are completely contrary to what you want.

Note to self: slow down with life! :lol:
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

surfhorn wrote:Who are the best surfers/shapers? And, if not posting on the KSUSA site, where have they fled?

KBing is such a small community, dividing it further by splintering off into elitist pockets does no one any good. Your everyday KBer doesn't receive new info and the board builders lack an avenue for feedback and potential sales which further fuels their design research.

I love having current shapers keeping us posted on what they're shaping and experimenting with. I don't design or work on boards anymore but relish the time I spent working on new kneeboard shapes. The work of the new generation is refreshing.

But why let a few knuckleheads stop the fun. If someone is antagonistic, just don't respond; they will go away. Or a moderator will intervene.

But I don't want a site where only a select few try and preach to me. This site for me is purely for recreation. I ride what I ride and my boards work. But its fun to read about the new styles.

I hope the site remains mainly as it is.
I agree with Surfhorn...and I agree with EQ.

1) I joined this site to meet other KBer's WorldWide, as well as get feedback from a BROAD community...meaning EVERYBODY that kneeboards. To "exclude", "water-down" or "moderate" certain users from the site does tend to lend itself to "elitism". I wanna hear the opinions of guys who ride 6'2" tri-fin pintails in contests, and I wanna hear from the guys who ride 5'6" keel fin fishes at their esoteric, semi-secret home breaks with black wetsuits and "no goon cords". EVERYONE ON THIS SITE HAS A VALID OPINION, AND SHOULD BE RESPECTED. Vive le difference!!!

2) As EQ has stated, it is also of the essence that the foremost recognized shapers and riders in our sport play an integral part in this forum. We all know who the main players are by now, and because of their contributions to this forum, as well as their contributions to the medium of KBing, this site NEEDS the opinions and the input of guys like Steeno, Sparrow, Bud, Neil, et al. But this only reinforces my opinion of who should be contributing to this site: EVERYBODY.

I understand there has been some discord on this forum, a lot of which I am to blame. But, I only spoke up because I believed that many of the contributors were being shut out by others BECAUSE THEY DID NOT SHARE THE SAME OPINIONS. I'm cool with that, I think it's best to either agree to disagree, or not respond at all. But I'm NOT cool with myself or others getting slammed. :evil:

So, being said, I apologize to everyone who I may have offended. Even EQ. 8) We are starting to see the seeds of discontent be sown into a new, respectful relationship between EVERYONE (again!) Sometimes you need a little fertilizer to make a flower grow... :wink:

kidrock out. 8)
kidrock

Re: dsv

Post by kidrock »

trowt wrote:Kidrock? you're a kook! but well said- :lol: :lol: :lol:

Geno would approve.

StupidTee and getting stupider!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now now, be nice. :wink:
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

I figure all this forum needs is 3 things:

1) a strong moderator

2) an empowered strong moderator.

3) a moderator who believes: the only person on this forum who can issues threats or repeatedly yank someones chain or repeatedly wont back down and has to be right all the time, loudly, repeatedly and incessantly, should be the moderator.

W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

:lol: Trowt... :lol:
Beeline2.0

Re: wS

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Actually I dont know why I even bothered.
Because if after this site has a new incarnation after the contest,
if this inane shiite is still repeatedly going on then like several others, I will delete all my posts, grab my marbles and go home.
trowt wrote:I'M WITH BEELINE,

EQ SHOULD BE ELECTED!

OR MALLEE BULL!

TO BAD-GENO's BEEN KICKED OFF
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Moderation points taken.

That said, everyone has a choice right now about whether I use my limited time for good or evil.

Trowt, quit stirring the pot. By your own suggestion, adding warning/banishment guidelines is in the works.

That said, there are no guidelines, so banishment is perpetually forever at the moment.

Your choice.
randiego

Post by randiego »

EQ, your contest commentary will be missed. I witnessed it at Santa Cruz last year. Occasionally witty, sometimes insightful, frequently banal, but never boring and always hilarious. :P :P

Kidrock - good post. :lol: :lol: I don't speak for them, but what I've seen makes me believe KSUSA welcomes ALL opinions if expressed respectfully (including the 5'6" keel-fish, no deck-pad, black-wetsuit crowd), and will continue to do so. It's only natural, we all have a common history, right? At times there are intolerant posters/commenters, but I think it's important to separate the two, and I think that's what folks have been getting at with the suggestions of improved moderation in the forums.
Bintang Bob

Post by Bintang Bob »

people, people.... take a deep breath, step back.... 8) there's always going to be people out there who enjoy winding you up & there's always going to be people out there who enjoy being wound up.... so no one should quit & no one should be banned, you folks need each other.... :D the forums are amazing in their content & diversity, keep it all coming.... please.... :!: I look at your photos & read your opinions, feelings and world views every morning with coffee & a bagel.... I look forward to it... :D I consider this website to be a rare & precious gift that all of us bring into each others' worlds....
Kneel before the majesty of our mother ocean