Questions of KBoard basics

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

SDMustang

Questions of KBoard basics

Post by SDMustang »

A. Why are the Aussie KBoards are So different to the US KBoards?

B. Why So Much foam behind the fins on the Aussie KBoards?
kidrock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by kidrock »

Mustang, welcome to the site.

I'm a bit surprised that no one else has chimed in on your question. It might be due to the fact that this subject has been previously covered extensively on this site (beaten to death, some might say). If you look into the Kneeboard Design Forums, you will no doubt find some interesting tidbits...be prepared to spend some time viewing over the countless contributions to this particular thread.

I'm no expert on this matter. But in a nutshell, you will most likely discover that the Aussies have a much more "rail-driven" approach towards our sport-art. Consequently, you will see many pictures of our Aussie brethren riding their boards much closer to the center of the board, probably necessitating the fins to be placed further from the tail. My opinion is arguable, so keep in mind this is only my opinion. :wink:

Historically, California's version has been more "tail-driven", therefore boards tended to have the fins placed closer to the tail and in line with the stringer, as opposed to being canted (i.e., the "Fish").

I think you will find many subscribers to this forum are moving towards the Aussie-style boards and approach to waveriding. Many will say that it is progressive, and their surfing abilities have jumped accordingly. You will also find others who love their Fishes, and state that the original fish has also made many progressive changes over the last few years.

Either way, it's a good time to be a KB'er. 8)
C J Gagner
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by C J Gagner »

Kidrock thanks for that that made it so easy to understand! As a poor boy trying to learn the ins and outs of board design and trying to put that to work for me as I am trying my hand at shaping. ( After 2 boards 1 good 1 bad). That helps alot and every little morsell helps!!!!!
Though the course may change sometimes rivers always reach the sea!!!!
KEL

Post by KEL »

Hey Kid, I agree.... coming from a long time romo rider to my 1st flashie...what you said makes good sense between the two. I am not a shaper and am not in the shaping room with my shaper so much trust goes into the shaper. When I started with the flash, it was so different and did not understand the rails and fin placement and the impact. KEL 8) 8)
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

I'm glad you guys understand, because I'm STILL scratchin' my head

:lol: :lol: :lol: (just kidding.) :wink: :wink: :wink:

Good luck with the shaping, CJ. Shaping was always a dream of mine when I was a kid...unfortunately I never had a chance to follow through. 8)
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

"Historically, California's version has been more "tail-driven", therefore boards tended to have the fins placed closer to the tail and in line with the stringer, as opposed to being canted (i.e., the "Fish")."

We've always aimed the side fins about and inch off of the stringer. Personally, I've always place my side fins (traditional thruster set up) just in front of where my ankles will land on the deck so I can push the fins/water. Center fin at least 2 fin base lengths from tail.
kbing since plywood days
budgie

Post by budgie »

hi guys
two postings in one day, I'm on fire.

Depends on where you turn youboard depends on where your fins go

Forward turning(from your knees) = forward fins

Rear turning(from your feet) =backwards fins

Dont really know why the Aussies surf further forward
but it isn't all of them that do it