SchoelKopf: shapes.

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Jon Manss
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Jon Manss »

Barry say Hi for me it was really nice meeting Eric and Robin. Jon
barry

Eric's phone #

Post by barry »

To all out there that are interested Eric's Phone # is (760)505-4769
the # Weinbaum put in is no longer working. This # is current and he may even answer it if he can hear it over the planer!!! Photos will be coming soon I will just have to get Ler or some computer literate person to upload them. The boards that Eric shapes can be made with any fin set up that you prefer. I have had mostly twins and a few tri fins. Most people around here want quads so that what you see mostly. I have seen him ride single fins, tri fins, quads, and also lg. single fin center fin with small outside fins (technically a tri fin but not the typical style) His new favorites are quads with the larger fins in back and more centered as Tom mentioned earlier in this forum. Eric feels that having the small fins ahead of the larger ones increases the drive/speed of the board. Tom Backer is currently trying one out in H.B. If you happen to see him check it out. I plan on test riding it myself it a few times, it doesn't hurt to try something new (especially if it doesn't cost us anything)
Barry
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

sssshhhhhhhh!
I'm going to get one too, but not quite yet (hopefully later this year). Couldn't resist. After meeting Eric at Jalama and talking design, seeing Barry surf, watching Jack and Chris over the years, and trying Craig and Jack's at Oceanside I think it's time to "try a quad" as Jack said.
No doubt I'll have it wired and dialed in for SantaCruz!
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-man

QUAD-TWINZER

Post by K-man »

scott,
Mel talked me into a twinzer quite a while ago.First board had glass ons,after that boxes.Have two boards,one for minnies,the other for med.sized waves.Both are loose,much more positve than twins and they accelerate nicely.Nice to know there's at least two of us that like that fin setup.
Your fins are set back on the tail?

Chuck
DavidW
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by DavidW »

Eric's setup is not the same as a twinzer. His fin configuration is closer to to the quad set up that I've seen on a lot of Blast boards. With the exception that the fins have been reversed, small in front, big in back. Both set ups use single foiled fins up front and double foiled fins in the back.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-man

Post by K-man »

Thank's scott,good looking boards-and I bet they go!Gives me ideas for future boards.

DAVID,
The fins foiled on both sides seems to be gaining strength.Can anyone tell the difference?The speed fin system [www.speedfins.com]fins are foiled outside,and slightly foiled inside.My bud[shaper] says to file the leading edge[fcs] till it's slightly foiled-worth a try.Innovation it's sweeping the nation!

chuck
Greg Little

Post by Greg Little »

K-man---- I've been riding the new set up for 7 months now and I really noticed the difference. I had Eric put new back fin boxes on my board. They are 2 inches in from the original boxes. They are FCS boxes, and when I ride the normal quad config I use g-5's in the front and g-l's in the back. All four fins are single foiled. When I started riding the new config, I put the g-l's in the front(single foil) and new g-5's in the back(full/double foiled). I have noticed big changes in how the board rides. The small fins in the front let the board enter the turn easier and then accelerate. The board does drive like a dream especially when its hollow. I have made sections I know I would have never made with the old setup. Now for me, it took me a long time to get used to this new setup but when I figured it out I really liked it. I just got my new board today, and can't wait to try it. It is a rounded pin, hope I like it. Greg... P.S. I also ride fiberglass FCS fins. More tip flex. I would like glass ons, but I travel to much. If you use a fin system, I would highly recommend fiberglass fins!! Plastic fins SUCK!!
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

OK, after 25 years or whatever on twin fin fishes, I'm having Eric make me a quad! Thanks to Wayne Kopit, Jack, Mutiny, Barry, Tom and Craig for letting me try their sticks; it helped me decide what to do.
Now I'm praying Eric works some OT!!
barry

schoelkopf

Post by barry »

Brad, Glad you decided to get a new stick. I had a new twinnie ordered then I tried Waynes new quad with the new fin set up. I liked it sooo much that I called Eric and ordered one. It was the first quad that really felt good to me and my style. I have picked up both boards and they both work Great. I am really hooked on the quad. (the twin is gathering a little dust right now) These are the first installment towards my north shore quiver. Can not wait until Feb!!!!!!!!!!!! It's going to be a BLAST!!!!!!!!
Barry
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Yeah Barry, your stoke helped to get me all fired up as well :D
As for the No Shore, I'm only dreamin about it at this point. At least that's better than not thinking about it all...
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Well I got my new quad just after the KSUSA Titles last November and we had a very consistent winter here in San Diego which was great. It took me a while to find the sweet spot but once I did I couldn't get enough of it :D :D I did so many dawn patrols (and often returning home from work in the dark) it seemed like I never saw the sun. The board has alot of speed and drive and really increased my confidence in bigger surf in that it was easier to catch waves and I felt I could really drive it off the bottom and Never Worry about instability of any kind. I've pulled reentrys that I could not have made before.
I don't think it's a perfect board (I'd only make small changes next time), but the increased stoke is... well, Priceless 8)
-SPB
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Skim reading... I may have missed this point, but will throw it out there (again:)

3 of 4 in the KSUSA Open finals last year rode 'em
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

Hey Brad, I'm glad you like your new Scoellkopf......I sure do like both of mine 8)