quad v thruster tri rant - blah blah

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Bud
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Bud »

dorje,

I've done something like that a number of times.
(Well not the "blind test".)

Take a really great 5' 10" tri-fin and added 2 extra plug sets on the sides of the center fin.
Maybe about half way to the rail.
Or vice-versa.

The difference in ride is that the 4 fin setup has more bite, projection and will bank a turn more on edge, with consistent drive through the turn, since there's be a rear fin always engaged.
(Too much fin can become too tracky though.
The key is to find a comfotable feeling fin size and template.)

Where, as a tri-fin, the same board needs to be turned with a bit more care, kinda turned in little stages to manage keeping the center fin engaged.

Edited:
I forgot (sick child calling :( ) to add that the tri-fin set up was easier to turn in general.
Tail slides are a breeze. They definately pivot better at a tip of the hat.
Though, while in the barrel the center fin disengages at times and you have to let the board just ride it out relying on the side fins and rail for hold. Can be exciting! :shock:

In tri-fin mode, if I drove the turn as hard, and banked over, as I would in 4 fin mode it'd over steer and or spin out.

One could approximate the tri-fin turn feel by cutting down the size of the dual back fins. It'll still feel different enough to notice.
You can spin it out as well, but the release is more gradual.

Note:
I set the rear fins of my 4 fins with little angle at all.
They are also symetrically foiled.

I have also used asymatric back fins and they are a little looser still.

I have also set the back fins, on many a board, with an untold variety of angles.

You could get even closer to the tri-fin feel, using more acute angles on the back fins.

I still think you'd notice the difference.
The tri-fin feel is quite distinct.

It's all great fun regardless. :D
Last edited by Bud on Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Good post, Bud: thanks for the info
john -

Post by john - »

[quote="Scott MacDonald"]

dorje,

Just for shits and giggles, what type of fin systems do both boards sport?? :lol:

I'm guessing FCS??

quote]

yep!
merely labled
Howard
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Howard »

Just thought I'd add my 5 cents worth.

I've ridden Rounded pin 22 1/2"thrusters for years. Anything from 5'10" through to the short board I'm riding at present,a 6'0 and my gun 6'3". All 22 1/2. All triple concave with Future Fins (Vectors)

These boards have always suited my style because I am upright (except bottom turns) and kneel way back on my boards.

Somebody had made an observation that being positioned back on your board can be fickle as far as hitting the sweet spot. I totally agree. If I'm up a fraction to far its a stiff ride and with no room to be to far back you have to be bang on. The hollower the wave the the easier it is to hit the sweet spot.

These boards smoke with waves to suit them. Bog in junk though.

Having surfed an epic, but crowded session this year in Hawaii on the West Side during the NSG 2005(anybody that surfed it or the 2 other days that it cranked will know which session(s) ) it would be easy say that array of board styles that were being ripped on were wide and varied.

Pretty much attests to the fact that you have got to get the boards that work for style.

I'm sure some guys could shred on an ironing board.

Different strokes eh.

Check out the gallery for pic of the above mentioned session.

Out
Bud

Post by Bud »

Sorry,
I'd fogotten to add a bit more about my experience with the tri-fin set up.
See the above post with the added info.
Headwax
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Headwax »

Howard writes:
Somebody had made an observation that being positioned back on your board can be fickle as far as hitting the sweet spot. I totally agree. If I'm up a fraction to far its a stiff ride and with no room to be to far back you have to be bang on.
Oddly enough I found the opposite. I reckon its the amount of flat area in the rocker profile that determines the size of the sweet spot (depending on fin position of course)
Headwax

Post by Headwax »

Dorje

Writing instructions in the wax ain't as silly as it seems.
I've got an old video telling you how to surf. One of the hints is to write in pencil on the nose rail a few notes to yourself on what you need to remember.

I used to do this all the time: eg keep centred on floaters, arms forward on re-os, buy yog-hart (there's that hart again) on the way home etc etc.

One day Pat Bright (a bloody good kneelo) saw it and asked me what it was about. I explained it to him.

After a while he walked off without saying anything.

Seems he was more embaressed than I was about it.... :oops:
john -

Post by john - »

thats not bad thinking - writing a note

as a cricketer whether keeping or batting I was always reminding myself of the little basics that produce the goods - stay low, soft hands or eye on the ball, get foward, play straight - but when you have ball after ball - concentration is easier - im sure there are baseball equivalents

surfing is a bit different as whilst waiting for waves you can drift off and then the adrenalin rush can wipe out any little things you were being mindful of

sometimes surfers are too cool to employ a bit of lateral thinking
merely labled
john -

Post by john - »

Howard wrote:
as hitting the sweet spot. I totally agree. If I'm up a fraction to far its a stiff ride and with no room to be to far back you have to be bang on.

we talking surfing here :wink:

actually I was introducing the idea of context (and out of context) to my class of 7/8 year olds today - probably wont use above example
merely labled
Howard

Post by Howard »

Urhhhhhh