deck pads

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

albert
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by albert »

yeah....
red

Post by red »

Tops of my booties wear out too, even with flippers on.

Rear deck pad has stopped this problem and improved my grip when board is on edge in floater or roller coaster (shows you age if you know what this is!)
Burnwater
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Burnwater »

I was fortunate enough to find a stack of closed cell foam 2' x 2' sq. at a surplus hardware store that I haunt down near the ship yards in San Diego. They are only 3/32" thick and have some type of 3m peel and stick backing. Supposedly they're for no-slip applications on boat decks and gangways but work beautifully as tail pads since they are barely noticeable in terms of thickness, have good grip and don't require booties when you're flipperless. They can probably be found at commercial marine hardware suppliers.
tread lightly, lean forward, leave a clean trail.
hart

Post by hart »

BW

informative post, mate

irrespective of people's choices :idea:

all for kneeboarding and of course..all good

regards from OZ

hart

(and flippers are better when they're flat against the board..yeah?)
willli
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by willli »

So glad Hart has released his grip design. I was fortunate to receive a prototype set on my flashpoint. I asked bruce to indicate where he thought the board should be ridden, expecting small marks or maybe a diagram. I received a beautiful piece of design instead.
The unique thing about North East USA surfing is the range of temperature, water and air, that we surf, from a low of 25degF air and 36degF water to a high of 100degF air and 75degF water. With that temp range comes a quiver of wetsuits including boots gloves and hoods. I can report that Hart Grip performs perfectly WITHOUT WAX throughout that range. Once your knees are set you feel locked to the board, even in a 6mil wetsuit. This is a function of both the material used and the overall 3 dimension design. On that 25deg day I walked through the snow drifts to the waters edge without a care about what temp wax I had, or whether I would slide around on takeoff. In summer, bare knees, same feeling of solid connection as I banked under the lip of a nice hurricane 8 footer, with no "slide about the pad hesitation" before going for the full on rail cutback.