Busting out fins?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

SFKneelo

Busting out fins?

Post by SFKneelo »

Anyone else losing fins/plugs lately? I was comparing notes with Don, who just lost one.

I've lost four in the last year... although 2 I'd attribute to forcing spinners. (OK, I know, I know... stop doing spinners!)

Both of my boards are Parkes, 5'10" swallow. One has the 'old' style FCS, one has the new style.

Too much torque? Is there such a thing as an industrial strength setup? I'd like to rule out glassed-on fins... just to focus on what to do with FCS plugs, etc.

Thanks!
DarcyM
Legend (Contribution King!)

busting fins

Post by DarcyM »

I busted an FCS plug out of my Blast fish at Black's last December. I have no idea how I did it other than turning hard (didn't hit anything, didn't run over Ler, can't do spinners, etc). It was a medium/small day. Haven't had a problem before or since.

Someone mentioned getting some extra glass around the fin plug for re-enforcement. But the ding repair guy said it was unnecessary and it shouldn't be a problem.

I busted out a glassed on fin once, but that was cuz I hit a rock. :roll:
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Jeff Ommen
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Jeff Ommen »

:( Same story, old style FCS fins in my Blast tri busted out on 5'-6' day at O-Side. My first and last experience with FCS fins.
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

i go through a set or two every year. and most of the times i need new fins as well. always from running over the reef. we have real shallow spots here. i'm getting futures in all my new boards. Johns right, if you hit something whatever you have will break but the futures seem more solid. personally the fcs are too wussy for me, i'm far too destructive with my boards.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

The Future lies in Futures for removable fins. What about all the debris you can pick up under the FCS fins and board. I came in the other day with streamers of eel grass on each fin.
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Maybe lot less damage to board w/ glass on break off than with Futures.

I'm guessing if fin broke off in small wave turn likely was prestressed/cracked from previous impact you didn't know about and that wasn't enuf by itself to snap it. Just how peoples backs go out when they pick up a paper clip. Previous cumulative stress.

Futures do look strong to me but that may be disadvantage when you do break one--whole big box tearing hole in your board vs more surface damage w/ glass-on. FCS most likely to break though.

Lot of chat on this at Swaylocks...
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Beresford

bob

Post by Jack Beresford »

Bob - a boogie board would be much easier for you to spin away on! I hear they also let you on the bus with them too!
Jack Beresford
stemple

Post by stemple »

I have never busted the plugs in the board but I have snapped several fins leaving the fin nubs stuck in the board plug slots. On saturday, Don pointed out that his board plugs were loose. He has the new design FCS as well. He uses fiberglass fins I think. Does a stiffer fin make this problem occur more often?
hart

New FCS?

Post by hart »

hello all

I'm feeling very ignorant here..I don't know what the new 'FCS' system is?

Here in OZ there has been a company that took Surf Hardware International (makers of FCS) to court over copyright..and won.

They were seen to have 'varied' the original design sufficiently.

This system is now on the market and it is designed to be compatible with all current FCS fin types and shapes..like, they have an existing market generated by others (ie the original FCS system).

anyway..I wonder if this is the system that is being referred to above as "the new FCS"?

cause if it is..it isn't :wink: (the real McCoy, that is)

hart

PS

and could be the reason it is failing..
Last edited by hart on Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Ommen

Post by Jeff Ommen »

stemple wrote:I have never busted the plugs in the board but I have snapped several fins leaving the fin nubs stuck in the board plug slots. On saturday, Don pointed out that his board plugs were loose. He has the new design FCS as well. He uses fiberglass fins I think. Does a stiffer fin make this problem occur more often?

Yes, since I switched from the Carbon/Graphite fins back to the less expensive composite that have more flex I have not popped out any more plugs.
K-man

Post by K-man »

I've seen three boards,within the last few months,with the bottom of the board ripped apart-clear across the stringer[futures]
Had a friend lose the fin and plug[speed fins]popped out pretty clean-ended his session.
I've lost many fins[fcs]and had one plug tweaked.never had aplug disappear.I do get the grass kelp deal,but it's no big deal.
There is one problem---If the fin is not set in the box properly,it may rock back or forward if something is hit.I've slightly sanded the leading and trailing edge of the fin[curved it up abit so it doesn't quite rest on the board.Makes a difference.Don't like seeing those fractures forward and aft,that usually start to leak...

cheers
SFKneelo

Re: bob

Post by SFKneelo »

Jack Beresford wrote:Bob - a boogie board would be much easier for you to spin away on! I hear they also let you on the bus with them too!
They don't let me on the long buses yet
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Hart,

Oh no, the ignorance is all mine! :wink:

I guess that's the reason for the 'new' design. Seems we're on the forefront of getting these in the US... although my experience is pretty limited to someone at Freeline that tried to repair the plug, who sees lots of boards, but kinda scratched his head and called it an Aussie version.

Anyhow, now I have 3 of the redesigned plugs and one old one. I'm a bit wary of taking it out in DOH...

Thanks for the insights, folks!