Queensland Kneelo's - Do they really exist ?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Techno
Local (More than 25 post)

Queensland Kneelo's - Do they really exist ?

Post by Techno »

Do Kneeboarders really exhist in Queensland Australia?
We see from time to time the odd old bloke with a beard and bald head - or sometimes the aging 40+ getting out a battered spoon from the back of the car around 900am on a weekend - but is there a Kneelo population in Queensland?
Dave Parkes told me a few years ago that Kneeboard sales were up and he was selling more each year !!! So where are they all? Are the young kids getting off their Boogey Boards and getting into Kneeling?
I'm 39 - have been a Kneelo for 25+ years and I'm still surprised when kids paddle up to me in the water and ask me what I'm riding - they have no idea what Knee Boarding is !!!
Kneelo web sites are few and far between - magazines are non-existant - let alone seeing an artical in a Stand-up magazine.

So - are Kneelo's in Queensland or Australia going the way of the Dinosaur?
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

gday mate

Queensland hosted the world titles last year, there where over 150 of us there, the Sunshine Coast Kneeboard Club Hosted it. They hold comps regularly around Kawana Waters. This is the first year the Sunshine coast has not had a Pro Kneelo event in about 8 years. Ring Kaos Surfboards on the sunshine coast and ask about the kneelo club. I dont have a number but if you email Rob Slater at
rslater@shoal.net.au
he would have a email address for Scott Feeney who would know this information. Actually try this email
feeneyscott@hotmail.com
U might as well, u could catch up with some people who have the same love of kneeboarding as you do.

cheers

steen

PS where do you surf at?
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
jonny

Post by jonny »

ive got the same question about Newcastle Australia ?, i grew up on the central coast NSW and there were quite a few (for Kneeboarders numbers that is) around Nth. Avoca area. I have been a kneelo for only a few years now, i used to ride stand ups but had an accident which gave me a semi paralysis of the legs which affected my balance for stand ups but doesnt disadvantage me too much on a kneelo. I guess i am grateful that the option of kneeboarding existed, otherwise i would still be sitting on the beach feeling sorry for myself (no offence to the bodyboarders but i never really saw it as an option) and after a mate suggested the idea and threw my way a 2nd hand Friar Tuck i havent looked back. Its only now i am realising the close knit community you guys have got goin on. I dont think even if my legs ever improved i would return to stand ups. Kneeboarding rocks..

are there any clubs around these parts ?....

:?:

cheers....
Techno

Newcastle Kneelo's !!!

Post by Techno »

here is the guy who should be able to help ya' mate - if he can't he should be able to put you in touch with someone who can !!!

Mel Horadam
Newcastle rep.
02 4961 3946
novos@cnn.net.au

I ended up as a Kneelo the same way as you - but only because of a stuffed knee - not Paralysis !!!

Best of luck - hope you have some luck ???

See ya'

"Techno"
HAVE SPARE KIDNEY - WILL TRAVEL FOR SURF !!!
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

Your right Techno, Mel is the man to contact in newcastle, he runs the Novacastrian Kneelo Club, I am fromWollongong and we have a steel city challenge with them every year. A great bunch of blokes, and I am sure that they pointscores aswell.

steen

PS its funny, when I blew my leg to pieces (25cm plate inserted) I couldn't ride my kneeboard, I was forced to stand up for 6 months until I could get back on my knees.
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
jonny

Newie Kneelo's

Post by jonny »

T & S,

Thx guys, will contact for sure....

interesting to hear about how you ended up a kneelo as well techno, always wondered if anyone ended up in the sport of kings in a similar way. My paralysis has steadily improved over the years to now only exist in my toes, to get an idea try walking with your toes curled up. no good for walking without a certain "style", but doesnt hamper the keeboarding too much...

I like how you put it steen, never thought of it that way re: your smashed knee. youre right, if your not on your knees, any other style would just be a temp. relief in the waves till you could launch back on 'em.

jonny
scoop
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by scoop »

try contacting steve at this address margaretfs@optusnet.com.au he's up on the sunshine coast and is always looking out for a surfing partner
fruitbat
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Kneelos in Queensland

Post by fruitbat »

Tech,

There are a few of us left. Most guys are still around and I probably know about twenty from different areas fro Cabarita to Noosa. :roll: So if you see someone riding a kneeboard introduce yourself and you will probably find you have a new friend.

Regards

Eric Viil (Daisy Hill Qld.)
scoop

Post by scoop »

steen...
hi
im with the sydney club...
can we be invited to the challenge up north along with you guys...
maybe these guys wont turn up but it does sound like a good idea?????
what are your thoughts :D

tony
lowrider

Post by lowrider »

:D Yes, there are still a few of us out there
We're solitary types by nature!
Around Noosa there are probably 6-8 kneelos;
no younger crew coming thru unfortunately.
Andy
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Man, I'm glad I found this site. The spirit that you Australians are showing is what KBing is all about.

Anytime you're in Santa Cruz you've got your call of any good wave you want!
kbing since plywood days
albert

Post by albert »

I seem to remeber there were a fair bit of kneelos up around the sunshine coast, and even a few in the under 30 range. At least this was last year at the worlds in the sunshine coast, since then there have been some developments there as far as kneelo clubs, but I am sure they are still out there.
lowrider

Post by lowrider »

Albert,
you were at the world titles?
It was great to see so many kneelos in one place! ( I think there were around 140 entrants: I was in the old guys category, Grand Masters)
Andy
scoop

Post by scoop »

HEY ANDY

Iwas in the grand masters too

the first heat against peter holman, steve ardis ans someone else

was absolute crap onshore mush not that im a rated kneelo
it was my first open comp

what a blast i had those memories will never fade

and albert wasnt just there....he did come second

tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
lowrider

Post by lowrider »

G'day Scoop
I suspected it was 'that' Albert!
Comps always seem to be held in crap surf in my experience.
I wasn't at the final but friends reported that they thought he won.
Contests are pretty subjective tho' aren't they?
I made it to the third round but slept in & missed my heat!
cheers,
Andy