Fish??

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

toofast
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by toofast »

Gray... The board I ride the most, the fin (single fin) box starts at 10" from the tip and it has a 10" fin box. I have modified the fin to get more travel. Usually, the fin is set a maximum and that is 17 1/2" from tip to the start of the fin. On a 5' board, thats alot. Fin placement has a lot of effect on how the board handles.. I may be wrong with this statemant , but, I believe the more fins you have, the more hold you have. But if you move them forward, you lose some of that hold. Correct me if i`m wrong guys.
gray

Post by gray »

Hey Headwax, I've been admiring that flat tailed fish of yours and wondering if you'd mind sharing some more of the detailed dimensions, ie wide point, pin to pin, nose and tail dimensions, amount of rocker where the concaves start. Sorry thats a lot of info

I'm just about to start a fish project from eps, with a balsa skin, I'm looking for a nice small wave board, something a lot lighter than my current wooden hollow fish to ride in small Perth metro waves.

thanks in advance.

gray
gray

Post by gray »

Headwax, still getting used to posting and accidentally started a new topic on the subject! I'd love dimensions of both boards the quad sounds amazing.

Will hopefully be getting some winter waves as Scabz in the near future.

cheers

gray
gray

Post by gray »

Excellent Wax, thanks a lot for taking the time. Now I just need to get myself clear to mow some foam.

Funny you should mention Inji, was there a couple of weeks ago, flat as a tack on the point (and everywhere else), 4ft on the other side of the point. Good fun watching the Hopgood brothers and some WQS hopefuls going deep. Dont think they new quite what to make of my board of preference!

cheers again. I'll keep you posted of progress

gray
analbirth
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by analbirth »

I've got three parkes fish's all quads. 1 f/glass 6'1" x 22 1/4 8' plus
1 x 5'11" x 22 1/2 1 x 5'9 x 22 3/4 these last two are close cell styrene
stringerless blanks carbon fibre epoxy light strong fast & go anywhere on a wave, duck dive really well. I've found with the larger fins at the back, they come off the lip so fast where as with the bigger fins at the front, the rails would catch on a reo. Best shapes i've ever had in 30 y of kb
Still pushing their limits & haven't got there yet. Neve go back to a standard blank again
Once you've had black you'll never go back!

AB.
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

Wax, i dont know about flying, but the 5'11 yellow deck carbon i was riding i'd had for a year and had it fairly wired but the 5'9 red one i'd only surfed a few times & was still tuning it, at that stage still had the larger fins forward, thats why in the final i couldn't nail the reo's should've taken old yeller out instead, but you know what it's like with a newby. I've only just changed the setup in the last month or so but it was like having your first root,you know [ why didn't i do this earlier ] The change in the board was dramatic. I did the same to the 5'11 and surfed it last week at cabarita 6-7' and it improved it's drive and o/all performance although not as dramatic as with the 5'9. Probably due to less rocker in the 5'11. The fins in both i got from dave, f/glass lots of area in the tip, The ones i use in the 5'9 have got the posts cut further back on the blank bringing the fins forward on the board. The fins on the 5'11 are standard post position. He gets them from a guy in ballina, well worth it, although i talked to dave last week and he said the fcs lightweight glass [f2 i think it was ] were worth a look. Anyway i hope this helps, might see you at coffs
AB
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
gray

Post by gray »

Hi Wax, I'm getting geared up to start the board. Using an EPS blank, scabbed from a panel of wall insulation, my vacuum bag system consists of an old fridge pump and some retic pipe, plastic bags and a plywood rocker bed. All very low tech, so hoping it will all come together and work.

Planning to skin the board with Blasa or Herex to get the sandwich strength. I'm using a perimiter stringer to see what the flex is like.

I want to set it up as a quad, do you think it would suit the boards configuration? I must admit I'm very confused about the quad fin positioning, only ever set single fins, which aint rocket science . I guess I'll need some help down the track with that, at the moment I've got plenty to go on with.

BTW very impressed with your bread board fins......do you find them durable long term?

cheers
gray
TOOFAST2
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by TOOFAST2 »

I got my fish back from the shop a fews ago. Fun board to ride.. Bad news though. The place where I have my boards glassed 86th me. Meanning, I was told not to bring anymore boards to them. They saided the boards are TOO much work.. So now I have to find another shop.
tenover

Post by tenover »

I shaped this one, and it seems to kneeride pretty well, although I made it for stand up. It's a 5'6"