Fish??

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

flojo
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Fish??

Post by flojo »

Hi,
I have a design question for those who may know. How come the kneeboard fish seems to be mostly recommended for down the line, long waves?

It seems like a properly made fish kneeboard would be real effective in beachbreak type surf-the wide tail & flat rocker would aid in early entry and quick turning.

I have been a biped surfer for 40 years and a 3 year kneelo(what a blast) but claim no expertise in board design.

I have had a stand up fish and it worked real well in mushy beach breaks but
it seems most fish kb's are for dredging hollow waves--

enlighten me please

thanks,
flojo
Beeline2.0
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flojo

fish

Post by flojo »

Hey Beeline,

thanks for the information--so the fish will work in mushy surf? I live in a beachtown that has a lot of mushy days, plus I have to compete with longboarders for waves, so I am looking for a desiign that will get me into the wave early and be manueverable--

thanks'
flojo
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Back to Fish:

another option is look at http://www.kanegarden.com the Garabaldi model and http://www.mandalacustomshapes.com double bump swallow tail.

These are both knock-offs of Pavel design (I think) basis is Fish platform but the tail is then pulled in via the flyers so you still get fairly straight rail line and fish rocker etc but a bit narrower tail end. Both of these shapers recommend them for beach break type waves.
Jacksquid
Local (More than 25 post)

Fish KB (Lis/Pavel shape)

Post by Jacksquid »

:D I just received a 5'10" "Lis fish knock-off" from Cleary with twin plywood fins and that wide tail. Surfing it mostly in mushy beachbreak, I have found it to work very well, and it is now my favorite board. Stable, good drive, and wants to take off. Of course, my romance with the fish may partially be due to it's sheer beauty (metallic purple, no less)!

At any rate, I have a lot of confidence in it for any conditions, but it is still in the early stages of R&D for me. The proof will be in the pudding, but the comments by previous posters would seem well on the mark. One thing I do know, is that wherever I go I will have it with me, for now. I can't wait to test it at Pitas Point in a couple of weeks.

I looked at the Kane Garden Fish and they seemed a bit narrow for KBing, but what do I know?

A fish in the quiver, though, is a must!

Another bonus (or detriment, depending on point of view) is the attention the retro board gets, so you wanna surf it well and charge.

Peace in 05.

Squid
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

FISH--the more modern fish isa nice blend of the timeless Lis template and modern rocker ,concave, and rails. The Blast fish,pavel fish,Lis fish are boards that have been refined for over 25 yrs!The boards these guys are currently making are the evolution of an incredible design.When the surf is really ON this design is a mindblower!! Most of my friends ride BLAST kneeboards and mostly fishes and they are more than happy with their boards. On the other hand a poorly made fish ----kinda smells. :(. If you wonder if the design works in heavy or peaky waves just check out Bud's quiver for the north shore of Oahu ----almost all quad fishes. If you are looking for a mush board and want to do alot of turning I would go with the big ,wide, fin forward boards.
Why call the fish design "retro" anyway?? After all, a 3-fin thruster is at least a 20 yr old design!I remember seeing 3 fin designs 30 yrs ago! It's just board design was rediculously stagnant for the dark, commercial, 6ft 3, white, thruster, 90's.Today is a newday and a new year----------------------*
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caples_creek

The Fish - Hollywoods biggest surf celebrity

Post by caples_creek »

I'm becoming increasingly intrigued by the discussions on the fish. I currently do not have one in my quiver, but plan to add one soon. Growing up I was always told by my standup friends that they were designed for mushy waves etc.

I recently picked up the surf move "Sprout" and was quite impressed with the way Dave Rastovich really let these hollow right handers have it on what appeared to be a fish in the 5'5" range and he was standing up. If I went that fast I think I would need goggles. In this months Surfers Journal there is an article on a new movie devoted entirely to fishes, I believe the name is "Hydrodynamica".

The possibilities on these things seem somewhat limitless.

If standups are riding 5'5" fishes, should a KB fish be even shorter??!!!?? :shock:

I'm sure this has been discussed before at length.
budman

Post by budman »

With all the hype lately with regards to the fish I have decided to take my original 1974 5-7 off the wall.
I bought a new leash for her and took her for a pre-christmas spin in perfect kneeboard conditions in Seal Beach, 6-10 foot faces,peaky a-frames.
I now understand.
This design was made for So Cal beach breaks.
I couldnt get over the performance.I had forgotten how much pure fun you can have on a real fish.
It is now a permanent fixture in my quiver.
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

If standups are riding 5'5" fishes, should a KB fish be even shorter
From what I've heard, distance from your feet to your eyeballs or top of your head or in between those two.

And since we are on the subject, anyone here who is an affishianado ridden one of those Pavel designed (shaped by anyone) double bump swallow fish like boards and care to comment on the pluses and minuses of overall fish platform with the tail narrowed a couple inches via the bumps???? Just as fast but looser, tighter turning? Loose some speed that way? What????
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-man

fussing and fuming

Post by K-man »

Hey doc......

your not going off the deep end again are ya :lol:
MEAT

Post by MEAT »

Ooooooooh!
The Doc's starting to lose it again.
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

YARRRRRGCHHCHHHCHCH---ickl. Ooops. I'm back now

what the K-man was referring to was the board ordering freakout about all the possible variables and which/what to order. Bumps/flyers vs none being the case in point.............. :oops: