deck pads

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

markgnome
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

deck pads

Post by markgnome »

e2u
Last edited by markgnome on Wed May 03, 2006 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

I KNOW we've covered this topic before.
Try a search on 'pad' or 'deck pad.'

Blast (Bud McCray) makes 'em, so does Parkes, and others.
Check out previous posts, but, IMHO, it's WAY better to buy than build.
john -
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by john - »

plus in general its always good to buy kneelo products from kneelos as a way of support - plus there sure to be well tested
merely labled
ross

Post by ross »

what about those full deck pads like simon has on one of the boards he had in hawaii?did he make that himself or what?i prefer this grip called squid grip but getting it is like finding hens teeth.
waka

deck pads

Post by waka »

i have been getting my deck grip from
kyle bryant
he has been bringing COMPLITE deckgrip for sale at the last few comps.
i try to buy a couple of sets at a time, and then store it away for that future board.
Just call me 'Poppy'
Wandandian Devil
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Meester Wax, surely you don't mean sand the Parkes sticky part before applying??? Mine stuck fine without doing that. Haven't sanded the kneeling side either and I seem to stick just fine. Hmmmm, maybe I need to bathe more often.
red

Post by red »

Use short nails otherwise they stick out of the bottom and interfere with water flow (just ask Headwax!)
waka

deck pads

Post by waka »

hey doc
i think he means sanding the deck of the board, that he is going to apply the grip!
it always pays to clean the deck of your board, or lightly sand if you have polished finish.
Complite also comes in fluro orange!
Just call me 'Poppy'
Wandandian Devil
hart

prototypes

Post by hart »

headwax wrote:
Hart makes a good grip too. Contoured to the knee from what I've seen.

Not on the market yet?
I have almost been forced to do this due to the general market's dissatisfaction with existing types of 'grip' or deck pads.

The types that are injection moulded seem to remain slippery when wet and in cold climates they seem to 'freeze' and become brittle (and the samples sent to me 2 years ago actually melted on my board in my parked car and lost their 'texture' all together!)

The more acceptible EVA foam (made famous by Gorilla Grip and OAM for example) is by far the most popular foam but suffers from accessibility..hard to get your hands on them (even when I try to get 50 sets at a time).

And kneeboarders have always been an inventive lot with guys like Simon and Nov adhering EVA Blankets to the entire deck of their boards at little (or mimimal) cost..footnote..forget Liquid Nails and Contact Cement and try 3M's spray adhesive..too easy for sure.

Personally, myself and a CAD designer are about to launch 100 prototypes of an EVA foam grip that is contoured and textured and has a 3M peel-off adhesive backing.

3 different densities of foam, 3 different thicknesses and 3 different textures per piece. We have moulded our knees in plaster casts to get the right shape(s) as necessary.

All preliminary samples (like Scoops) have been well received..the next 100 will simply be..the next step

:arrow:

hart
Last edited by hart on Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waka

deack pads

Post by waka »

hey Bruce
remember back when, we didnt use deck grip.
you use to be proud of your board-bumps on your knees and feet!
moulded deck grip?
boards are dear enough now, without sticking another $$$$
to the price.
but each to their own!
Just call me 'Poppy'
Wandandian Devil
hart

Re: deack pads

Post by hart »

[quote="waka"]

boards are dear enough now, without sticking another $$$$

quote]

How's it Adam..

Yeah..bumps were something to be proud of for sure!

But decks were glassed with 3 full layers of 6oz Volan back then, on top of hard as concrete foam blanks..and not to mention glosscoats!

Grip is as essential to our boards now, as it is to our knees.

It is always difficult for me to stay apolitical on these forums but I have to say this in terms of $'s

Kneeboarders in Sydney are paying over $80 AUD for some grips currently on the market..

I am trying to produce a product which retails for less than $60 (if final costings allow) that is simply smarter than what is available now.

hart

ps

Like you, I reckon the Complite (despite the fluro orange) is the best product currently out there..but it is much easier to get one set..than 20!

ce la vie

pps

and forgive me for being totally political with this..

as far as the cost of boards is concerned..I bet if you asked someone who built them for a living (professionally), you'd get a different answer to the 'cost' comment above!

all in good spirit mate (as I'm about to go to work on Easter Sunday!!) so I'm secretly spewin'..ha

:lol:
waka

deck grip

Post by waka »

happy easter to you and your family
bruce
i know where you are coming from on the pricing of boards made by and fulltime manufacturer, and thoses made by "said" backyarder.
myself been in the building trade, operating a family business, with all the useal overheads, i can get fairly pissed off when the little "cash in hand " fella takes sales off me.
but i understand that everybody has to eat.
and in the words of Dave Parkes-'i make boards for the love of kneeboarding, not for the money"
basiclly their isnt enough kneeboard sales to support a fulltime business.considering their is realisticlly only you and neil luke (island),bob at Drift and Parkesy- there should be plenty to go round!
i realised long ago, that if i got evey job that i qouted,i wouldnt be able to do all of them, or my quality would go down the gurgler!
it all about QUALITY not QUANITY!
Prices, you make a very good product Bruce, and if people shop eleswhere because of price, let them go, the fair dinkum buyers will always come back!
pps the surf is smoking
try and enjoy yourself mate!
pps the prices you qouted for your deck grip, are way cheaper than what you told me way back at the Cronulla comp
at that price, count me in!
Just call me 'Poppy'
Wandandian Devil
Anthony B
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Anthony B »

Hey Bruce,
I just worked good friday and easter saturday, both 12 hr days.Ah the joys of being self employed and putting food on the table. :roll: