Worlds shortest kneeboard?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

doc
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by doc »

tumak wrote:Hey surfhorn, ...just wanted you to be aware that Newport Paipo was a different company than El Paipo. There were many paipos being made back in the day, but I think these two companies were at the forefront, even though many regular surfboard comapanies also offered paipo/kneeboards on the side. I hope to find examples of these boards for sale sometime, somewhere...I think they'd be cool artifacts to own.
My first board was a Newport Paipo paipo, a model called the Concave Vector. Fast? Oh yes indeed. As this was in the day of $#@&% 9'6" #@^*&) ____ *&^%# longboards, fast was good, being able to turn was good, late drops were wonderful. And the thought of being able to make it up the dune without respiratory failure was a plus.

If I remember rightly, Ron Romanosky shaped for them for quite a while. They had a model called The Shoe, their attempt to break into the surfboard market with a 5' something, wide, all downrailed thing that was the first really floaty board I ever tried.

I wound up with a Gordon and Smith, 5' x 17", fast as hell, singlefin. Followed that with a Sunset, also 5' but wider - still have them and I'll have to shoot some pics one of these days.

catch ya in the water

doc
surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by surfhorn »

Besides the Concave Vector, they also offered the Stub Vector. I'll pull out an old El Paipo board, buried in my garage and check it out in more detail. I found it at a swap meet and bought it for a couple bucks
kbing since plywood days
Ler

EL PAIPO

Post by Ler »

:arrow:
Last edited by Ler on Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Beresford

What the?

Post by Jack Beresford »

Ler - nice getup. Is that car really yours or did you just run across it at the Del Taco?
Jack Beresford
Ler

knee Machine

Post by Ler »

No, not my car. I'm still driving that old Mazda. The one that we took to
Tijauna in 83 or so. Except now the windows don't work, it burns oil like a mutha, and it doesn't always start. Its just like its owner.

Ler
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Hey, Doc - Wenzel was just here and shot a photo of my El Paipo to show you when he gets back in your neck of the East Coast woods. I'll also post it here in a day or so.

I have an advertisment of the The Shoe sent to me by the company. I'll try and have ity scanned and post it here.
kbing since plywood days
doc

Re: EL PAIPO

Post by doc »

Ler wrote:Is this the worlds smallest Kneeboard? I think so. The black laminate near the tail says Knee Machine 54. The single fin is gone and is glassed over. I never saw the fin on the board. From the repair it looks like it was ripped out, probaly by a heavy bottom turn at Bolsa. ha ha. I'm sure somebody out here will remember.
Wow, I remember those. Potato-chip thin, not much rocker near the tail and kinda 50-50 rails that maybe got to be down rails near the tail? They were kind of an outgrowth or upsized paipo in a lot of ways and could be ridden prone very successfully. Held an edge on a wall REALLY well.

Damn, guess I gotta get some batteries for my digital....

doc[/u]
doc

El Paipo

Post by doc »

surfhorn wrote:Hey, Doc - Wenzel was just here and shot a photo of my El Paipo to show you when he gets back in your neck of the East Coast woods. I'll also post it here in a day or so.

I have an advertisment of the The Shoe sent to me by the company. I'll try and have ity scanned and post it here.
Yeah, he mentioned it Thursday when he got back, along with 'Small world, man" ...... between us we may have to get him back on kneeboards. He was telling me I should swing out your way and hook up with ya sometime...may just do that, though not right away.

There may be a Shoe around town here someplace..... guy who had it died last year and ( ghoulishly ) I may see what's up with it.

best regards to you and the family and WRIV says 'Hey'

doc
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

hey, doc - anytime you're in the area, just let me know and I'll give you the tour. I've got access to plenty of KBs, fins and wetsuits so you don't even need equipment.

And, yeah, we'll get WRIV back on his knees. I stand up in small or marginal waves. But give me my KB when it starts pushin and pitchin.

Stay sane. Wave season is just around the corner.

Dan
kbing since plywood days
doc

Post by doc »

surfhorn wrote:hey, doc - anytime you're in the area, just let me know and I'll give you the tour. I've got access to plenty of KBs, fins and wetsuits so you don't even need equipment.

And, yeah, we'll get WRIV back on his knees. I stand up in small or marginal waves. But give me my KB when it starts pushin and pitchin.

Stay sane. Wave season is just around the corner.

Dan
Many thanks, man. I may just wander out there someday....though a surf and food tour of France, Spain and Portugal is the next big trip on my agenda. Might want to consider it....

Working a gig with WRIV tomorrow, doing seafood for the middle class. I'll put a bug in his ear. And for small days...well, I have a new setup for those. Have to post a pic. Two main words describe it, though- Gaff Rig.

Looking forward to the sane season around here. With waves, a new-to-me super flexy 3/2 and a whole day off, around September 10 or so. Oohhrah!

best

John
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

The first board I ever owned was a yellow Newport Paipo Shoe. Got it for Christmas back in '71. After that I was all surf all the time. My mother swore that buying me that board was the worst thing she ever did. I am certain it was the best thing she ever did.

So weird to see a discussion about my beloved Shoe. That board has so many memories associated with it for me. I learned to surf on it, caught my first really good wave on it, got my first tube on it. Became really surf stoked on it. I would pay dearly to get one for my kneeboard collection.

The Newport Paipo Shoe was not a true paipo board. It was easily 3 1/2 inches thick, with hard down rails and a concave deck. It was marketed as a combination kneeboard/surfboard. Mine was 5'4'' long.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Tom - I'll color photocopy my Paipo Shoe ad from the late 60's and send you a copy.
kbing since plywood days
quadfin

The Shoe

Post by quadfin »

Didn't Jacobs make a hybrid between a knee and standup similar to The Shoe?
Beeline2.0

Re: The Shoe

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
mutiny

ebay kneeboard

Post by mutiny »

I was checking out ebay and stumbled upon a short kneeboard, I dont think it's the "smallest" kneeboard but at 5'0 it qualifies as short. he has provided 4 different photos of the board, It's owner states it's a vintage 5'0 bing bonzer kneeboard with rope handles. there were only a few custom made. if anyone is interested the ebay item # is 3623094041 or the sellers name is 70sbolt.