Spoon Competitions: Soul Sessions or Muscle Flexing?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

lowrider
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by lowrider »

MTB,
I think I spotted you in the background of a pic taken at the San Diego
Fish Fry; wow.....a spoon with hydrofoils???
MTBarrels

Post by MTBarrels »

Yes, I was there. The good news is that during the Fry a stand-up surfer tried "Broom Hilda"(from ~1973); was impressed by the speed; and is planning on trying it again when there's better shaped waves. So there's the possibility of a new recruit to our ranks.

But to respond to your comment...the bad news is that the hydrofoil board was my HYPO board, as in HYdrofoil paiPO board--i.e. it was designed and optimized as a paipo board, not as a kneeboard. However, it has been speculated that it may be possible to ride it on one's knees if one has the right combination of balance, coordination, and reflexes. But to date, no one has tried.

mtb
Experience gained is in proportion to equipment ruined.
Jack Beresford
Legend (Contribution King!)

spoonists

Post by Jack Beresford »

Weights or no weights - Terry tells me my GPS speed record (24 mph) has been broken. Someone give me a spoon - I feel the need for speed!

Jack
MTBarrels

Re: spoonists

Post by MTBarrels »

Jack Beresford wrote:Weights or no weights - Terry tells me my GPS speed record (24 mph) has been broken. Someone give me a spoon - I feel the need for speed!

Jack
Bigger waves than you had would probably help also. At the present time:

Current max speed measured (shortboarder): 26.9 mph
Current max speed for a kneeboard (and 2nd fastest overall): 25.5 mph

The Median and Average of the max recorded speeds comprising the data set are nearly equal at 19.5 and 19.6 mph. The data set consists of 49 measurements taken from August, 2004 thru April, 2005 in a variety of wave conditions; with a variety boards (bodyboard, kneeboard, shortboard, longboard); and maybe 8 to 10 different riders. The GPS is presently on loan in the hope that I may be able to include a couple of speeds for a mat.

mtb
Experience gained is in proportion to equipment ruined.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Now this is interesting! Maybe I should build a spoon with a speed record the only goal. Should it be a traditional spoon or a longer/narrower hull thats only meant to work going straight in huge conditions?

I'm going to have to pull out my old school work from junior high (1964-1967); the margins of all my notebooks and papers were covered with sketches of paipos, kneeboards and spoons.

Time to start mowing!
kbing since plywood days
wino

Post by wino »

I've got a great plan. Have Hart, Parkes, Schoelkoph, et al donate what they believe is their fastest shape. MTB and MOW each donate a spoon. Then you guys send ME to G-Land with all of these boards and the portable GPS. I will do my best to see that each shape gets a proper workout. After about 6 weeks I should have some good data for you numbers guys to crunch.
Yep sounds like a great plan to me
fooj

Post by fooj »

MTB, if you get it back from loan in time, I'm going to Gland with S.R. and others in about two weeks. I'd be willing to wear it if its not too involved. I'll be riding a Blast F2K and I'm really good at going straight! HEHEh.
bongbong