Channeled Flex

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

frankfqr
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Channeled Flex

Post by frankfqr »

This is my first post. I have been following things for approximately two years. Not knowing how to type I have found myself yelling at the screen at times. I have been hooked on single fin boards since 1965. Not for lack of trying something different, but anytime a multi fin board slid at all it was big negative points for me. I have talked with a lot of good shapers and bar none they all say I would have to change my style. My style is low and power slotted more compared to riding a luge. I have no visions of slamming into lips or attaining "air". Both skills I assume are fine tuned in marginal beach break closeouts. When the forum discussing flex spoon boards first appeared it was said the rider's style should change to tap it's potential. Again I screamed at the screen, right up my alley. Out of the turn at 3g's is also interesting to me. On decent swells my goal is to roll my eyes into the bottom of the sockets on hard turns. Blinding g's I think attained at 4g's. I do like the speed with the multi-fin boards so the idea I have had utilizing the "channeled flex" is something I have had in the back of my mind for about ten years. The idea is the more power on the turn the more hold I should attain, no drift is the goal. I look forward to your input on my theories and thoughts. I need a swell, my channeled flex is still a virgin.

Frank
frankfqr

Channeled flex again

Post by frankfqr »

Forgot to mention I posted a photo in Board designs.

Frank
hart
Legend (Contribution King!)

pics

Post by hart »

Frank

The board looks hot!

:D

hart
john -

Post by john - »

how do i get to the picture :? :? :? :?:
merely labled
lowrider

Post by lowrider »

dorje,
album_cat.php?cat_id=2

Frank, got a pic of the top of the board?
like how thick is the tail?

interesting....
john -

Post by john - »

cheers LR
merely labled
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

You go, Frank!!!!!! We'll pray for some surf for SoCal. I see Fernanda spinning south of Baja.
kbing since plywood days
red

Post by red »

Very interesting. A machine dedicated to purpose.

Some observations and questions:
Outline/tail looks very fast.
Fins not toed in. Great for speed.
Low aspect fins (long base/short height) help low speed control
Why no camber on fins (can enhance 'grip' through hard rail turns)?

Details of the bottom (vee, etc.) would be interesting.

Thanks for the post.
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

Franko, when I saw the pic, I started screaming at the screen. I can't tell which part is the flex.
frankfqr

Channeled Flex

Post by frankfqr »

Thanks guys for the input.

Red: From the one picture I posted you have a good eye. Your insights were the same as Hendrick's were. Terry was the first person whom I was honored to have the first hands on examination of this concept. Wanting to have the leading fins centered on the foam center channel the lead fins actually toe out. I know it is against every train of thought I have seen on this subject. But, in my mind, I casually went with it. If I toed in or parallel, the glassed on fins would overlap to much on the flex.
Given that the water flow on the wave is coming straight up the face, the only time we would align the stringer straight on to meet that flow and attain perfect hydro-dynamic input to the fin area, I think, we would call that purling. It seems as if at all times our fins meet force at ever changing angles so deviating from the norm was a risk I took. If I had talked with Terry prior to glassing on the fins, he would have shown me his method of glassing only the front half of the fin and letting the trailing half float free over the flex. Easy to change, but we laughingly said, "try it - what the heck." Believe me, all of this is new to me, and everyone's inputs are not taken lightly. Thank you. (several photo's are listed today under "Boards". Tried to get the concept to you all.

Dimensions= 5ft. 8in. x 22in.
Thickness= 2 1/2 in. max. 1 1/4 in. at the tail.
1/4 in concave starting approx. 18 inches back from the nose.
Finishing with slight vee off the tail

Thanks again, look forward to hearing more.

Frank
Bud

Post by Bud »

Very nice.
I suspect it'll be real.......... REAL FAST

I also suspect the camber in the fins will be variable as they flex with the general area they are glassed on.

Years back I'd played with the front fins towed out but found them more tracky than towed in. I also noticed the added drag more.

You could also inset carbon fiber fishing rod stock to those grooves if it proves too flexy and for added durability.

At any rate a great idea and it'll be loads of fun trying it out for sure.

Can't wait for the field report!
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Frank, you may not get blind but perhaps your gums will turn white!?!? We can only hope. Thumbs up and then some for running w/ your own ideas!