Opinions sought on small wave boards?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Are bigger boards better for small waves?

Yes!
41%
No!
44%
È il papa cattolico?
16%

Total votes: 32

ScottMac
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john -

Post by john - »

nice work headwax....with honours....masters should be interesting

id like to pitch the rounded square tail again for planning and picking up what juice is there...thinned out just in case a bigger set comes from the grace of Huey

put this to the test in 1 to 2 foot weak waves this am...no grace from huey though :roll:

was there muvh mention of fin set up in your recount...cant recall...id nearly be thinking twins :shock:

however

after this morning surf..which may produce a pic as a longboarder mate had a camera around his neck...funny how long boarders love these conditions....id have to say...is it worth spending the bucks on a small wave mush board or just push the fins foward or put in much smaller ones from the allround smaller wave board?

is the mush worth celebrating with a design...obviously one man's mush is another man's ok conditions as im thinking Bud for instance might have bigger mush in mind for his vector...can small mush ever be satisfying?
john -

Post by john - »

would have to agree with you about the twins ...and thats purely from bath tub speculation :lol:

cant understand why the local great kneelo shaper Michael D from Strapper has most of his customers on them :?

identifying mush with pics would be an interesting expose (spelling?) but i would have to say if you can pull a reo (thus not flat faced waves) then i agree...mush can be fun 8)

my hart board is a single flyer rounded pin...i think it might all the other factors that has me not pulling it out under three/four...unless its at one of the first three car parks at 13th on a good day where the waves have ooomph :shock:

looking foward the result of your inquiry :D

.....Juliana is of the opinion that it was a computer problem caused by 20 month old hands...hard to crack that ages button pushing code :x

seahorse will survive at work until i remember to take the new log on code with me

mush mush for now
willli
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by willli »

Personally I prefer to ride from the tail because in smaller waves we need smaller arcs.
I have to point out that smaller waves don't always qualify as mush

You mentioned Baden who I associate in my mind with the beautiful floater sequence in Sparrow and Friends

and floaters are the key to riding mush

generating more speed than the paddle-in if your board is re-entering with rail set

and yes FISH are great for this, one reason stand-ups love them in small waves

off the tail surfing is something I associate with standing thrusters

they can fine tune weight shifts and unweight(don't want to go there again) at a faster pace than us BUT

all this pathetic surf summer I was accused of surfing faster and farther than them by them

which I attributed to not burying my tail but landing floaters in "neutral" so the board was ready to fly

and speed opens up small surf options

plus that feeling of carefree floating, the pause that isn't a pause
the little euphoria of slipping sideways over a little waterfall into a pleasant (not mind bending) gust of speed only to hop up onto the roof and do it again

not the same as driving attack or out maneuvering an opponent

in mush I surf to please my mind, not my ego
red

Post by red »

does a full concave loosen up a board
According to Baden, the tail concave is loose because there is nothing to hold the tail back - the water just flows out. Combining concave with vee can have the opposite effect - water flows in then hits the vee and has nowhere to go. I think standups counter this with tail kick but I've seen it cause problems in kneeboards.

Spriral vee was developed to combine the benefits of vee with concaves - to spiral the water out the back, so freeing up the tail.

Of course, there are concaves and there are other concaves. Distance of high point(s) from stringer, transition between concave and convex curves and other subtleties can affect performance. Jim Banks works with some of these ideas with vee also.

Reverse vee is a bottom shape dating back to 1991, credited to Maurice Cole of Australia, in which vee is placed in the front half of the board, flattening out through the tail, accompanied by considerable tail rocker.

My model of fin camber:
Fins have lift towards the foil.
Hence lift towards the rail.
When rail buried this lift on inside fin pulls the tail into the water, engaging the rail foil.
When board is surfed flatter this lift on opposing fins can cause drag (because of fin toe-in).
Tilted fins (camber) transfer the potential drag to more upwards lift, freeing up the tail. Camber may also be active in tightening an on-rail turn.

I think the most important thing is for a surfer to have a clear picture of how they want to surf. The kind of turns will dictate the particular trade-offs for their board. Pivot off vee or off wings; drive from rocker or rail or fins; snap from tail shape or tail kick? It all has to start with the surfer.
red

Post by red »

dorjeseahorse
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by dorjeseahorse »

willli wrote:

in mush I surf to please my mind, not my ego
the difference between the two being?

:lol: sorry! could not help myself :roll:

in mush i surf cos of lack of choice :(
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

NO, please don't .Leave it in the can ....it just smells when let out.