glass on fins

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

skansand
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

rope

Post by skansand »

i have access to fiberglass rope as well as 8 oz.....ill eventually buy the 6 and the 4
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
frankfqr
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

glass on fins

Post by frankfqr »

Fiberglass rope really isn't the best option. If you consider the direction of the strand in relation to the force excerted on the fin base. I used rope for years (decades actually) It works fine and had no failure. I was exposed to other options thru some forward thinking individuals on these forums. There is some form of fiberglass powder you can search out to form a unidirectional paste, but the option I chose was to take any oz. cloth on hand and dice with scissors as fine as possible. It makes for an excellent paste. Follow that up with 6 or 4 oz. ovals along the base in diminishing increments holding even with the leading edge and cap that edge with small circles (2"and diminishing) aprox. 4-5 pcs. All the pcs. should foil easily with minimal sanding. All done with lami. resin and caped with sanding resin to finish. Have Fun!!!!!!!
hannya
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

glass on fins

Post by hannya »

I think I ran across a few of that method of layup on fins I was wondering
why there were little air bubbles. I was just removing the fins to put in f.u. boxes. Either way would work I guess it's up to the man.
One thought.
There's never enough time to do it the right the first time.
But always enough time to do it over again.
Hey if your really really neat you might get away with minimal sanding.
sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do go for it!