Going Vertical?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

red
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by red »

towards the end of his bottom turn he steepens the arc dramatically by sliding the tail
You're one of the first to pick up on this - good eyes (isn't frame by frame wonderful?)

Wide point front of centre, I believe for a vertical attack (but I often get these things backwayds)

Only 1 reason for dying in cutties - poor water flow through the turn. Make a special effort on the 14th then get your (now compliant) wife to shoot some footage (or simply set the camera up on the beach and get 100 empty waves and 3 seconds of you surfing through the frame)
ross

Post by ross »

hey people,
i've got a few ideas on what makes a board climb vertically.though this is only what works for me i guess.

widepoint back from centre.

changes the pivot point to an area just behind the knees.so your entire weight is pushing the board through the turn.the decreased area in the nose alows the surfer to bank hard off the bottom.
with the wide point behind centre my boards almost feel like there isnt much in front of me and the area i'm kneeling on is the only part of the board i need to concentrate on.

curve.

bigger the curve the closer you must surf in the pocket right?which isnt always a good thing when your riding a wave that requires cutbacks.
everyone has their own curve to work with.
but i'd have to say wax that i agree with scooping out the nose a bit.its not as if that part of the nose will push water as it only gets wet when your pearling anyway.
i think tail lift and planning area are the main concern for going verticle

fin placement

i'd be keeping the fins toed in a little.i think what your seeing in kyle's bottom turn isn't so much his back fin spinning out as it is his side fin biting as his board and the water flow up the face become compatible.
i know for myself that the moment my side fin starts to bite the other fins aren't even in the game.

and i reckon swallows are the gear for tail planshape for this type of surfing.but again thats a personal preference as there are plenty of blokes tearing on rounded pins :wink:
griz
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by griz »

just one question ross, taking in consideration your detailed decription of what sends you straight up and that your from the central coast whose boards do you ride?ponsford`s maybe?
ross

Post by ross »

pretty close guess there griz :lol:
i shape my own boards mate.
my dad and i have developed my planshapes over the years.
rode Wayne Hutches boards for a time,before he was kneeon(and Dale was kneeon :D ).
Wayne has his own ideas and to his credit he did attempt to make me some "wide point behind centre" boards.but i know he was over it :lol:
to him they didnt look right.
interestingly Dale was on the same tangent as me.so in a way you are right on the money.i rode Dales boards for a few years and still have four stashed downstairs(three are clubbed to death but i cant bring myself to offload em :? ).he is a major influence on what i think in terms of design and his guns are cutting edge equipment.
you'd be horrified to know how many boards i've been through over the years trying to get the formula right.i guess the luxury of having a dad who shaped helped :oops:
Anthony B

Post by Anthony B »

Hey Ross,
i saw one of Pinos new boards from Dale not so long ago.his really gone narrow in the nose now and tells me Dales got his own boards down to 22 and a half.Got to say with the screwdriver tail{is that what you call them}they are actually a nice looking stick.Ive always ridden boards with fairly rounded tails but got to have a few sessions on one of Dales creations and found them to be real squirty out of the turns,dont know if thats the right word for it but you know what i mean.
griz

Post by griz »

yeah ross I thought there was a common thread somewhere, almost described his ski-tails to the letter.I took a lot of talking into to get me off standard round tails to the point where he was very reluctant to shape anything else. he was that confident he was on the right path.once I had one of these in a room alone it took a fair bit to get my head around the therory behind it as it totally contradicted what I had been hacking away at for years to achieve.that was to send it straight to the lip and into another turn before you`ve even thought about it.took a fair while for my head to catch up.jeez I wish I was onto these when I was 20.dale reckons his latest board is 21inches.makes ya wonder if ken horton was keeping secrets.by the way ross who is your dad?
Bud

Post by Bud »

Do pintails go vertical better than fish?
My personal experience is that if you are young, limber, really fit (hard to be so at 50 and after having surffered too many battles with cancer), have have a decent board know how to ride it, and the surfs going off, you'll be
inspired to go vertical, regardless of the tail shape.
As for technique, going really fast helps.

Does this one count?
He needed to go verticle before doing this snap.
No tail slide from this board. 8)
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

How would you define 'going vertical"?

In my mind a definition of surfing vertically is going straight up the wave (90 degrees) and whipping off the top and going straight down the wave - all with as little as possible down the line movement.

Does this fit in with everyone else's thoughts?

_-- My take,for what IT'S worth ..... :lol: That real vertical surfing your after is what 90% of modern contest surfing is ........complete fin failure. Tons of toe -in with extra tail rocker combined .Wide point back, or more centered, also helps.The slide turn is modern surfing .....makes alot of spray and gives a great illusion of speed.
That said. I think any excellent musician can wail on a crap instrument.
Bud

Post by Bud »

Wax,
I'm not buying the
"Bud.... great pics. I wish we had waves to ride like that here."
You've got fantastic surf where you live.
I've passed through the area a number of times.
Newcastle is it not?

Here's a pic of some booger kids mum surfing a spot in your area.
Looks like a damned fine wave to me.
Does the background scenery look familiar on these?

Now this is a great kneeboard type wave in Newcastle.

www.wannasurf.com lists 45 spots (with photos) around the joint.

Don't you surf some of these spots? :?
Bud

Post by Bud »

Yea, I'd define goin vert the same way.
"In my mind a definition of surfing vertically is going straight up the wave (90 degrees) and whipping off the top and going straight down the wave - all with as little as possible down the line movement."
Seems to me there is a lot of times where the wave won't allow for that.
One is most times forced to keep traversing or be left behind.
Getting a chance to go vert and keep going is a buzz when it can be done without losing the wave.

Getting shots of such, is another matter.
Most of my shots are from the 80's.
Remember film?
That stuff cost money to develope.
Complete sequences eat up a lot of frames.
I was prone to be judicious with my shooting, trying to get peak action.
A bunch of pictures of kneeboarders groveling, doesn't do the sport justice or any good.
So sorry if the shots I posted aren't exactly what we need to see relative to the discussion.

But really, a decent wave, a decent board, the fitness and agility to make it go, will let you go vert when the opportunity presents itself.

John makes a very good point.
_ That real vertical surfing your after is what 90% of modern contest surfing is ........complete fin failure. Tons of toe -in with extra tail rocker combined .Wide point back, or more centered, also helps.The slide turn is modern surfing .....makes alot of spray and gives a great illusion of speed.
That said. I think any excellent musician can wail on a crap instrument.
We should be careful about calling a move "radical" just because the board is spinning out and the rider managed to hang on (most times barely so).

Are we not seeking speed and control?
Shouldn't we?

As a rule I don't watch the comps when they come to town.
This year I did watch the finals of the Sunset event.
The surf was kinda junk that day, relative to the previous few weeks.
(By the way, Jake Pastterson won it on the first wave. Another, as good, never came through.)

It was a playful 4-6' Sunset Point a bit full mostly, semi wind swell, but some waves running long and rippable.
Jake and Andy were going beyond vert with their moves.
Full rail gouging bottom turns that projected them up the face with lightning speed. They'd drive the board back toward the top of the curl then carve the board around and drive straight down again, and again and again etc. So fluid so FAST.
The boards were'nt tail sliding.
They exhibited supreme control of their speed.

There was no flat pivoting around the fin cluster like you see too often with a kneeboard built with the Aussie tri-fin set up.

Sorry to inform a lot of you.............

Those things are not "thrusters". They don't thrust.
(And every swallow tail ain't a fish")
They may seem more positive than the designs you previously were riding years back, but they don't have the action that a real thruster has.

A thruster has its fins clusted together where the whole set acts as a unit providing THRUST through out the turn.

Setting the fins too far apart and 1/3 the way up the board negates a lot of drive. Set the center fin too far from the rail and it looses it's ability to hold and drive when you lay it over for a turn.

Crabbing , sliding and skittering around the surf due to wide, high volume boards and trying to control them with acute angled fins is not very efficient.

Yes, yes, yes, Simon and a few others manage to make them go real well.
Their surfing ability is overcoming the design flaw.
Like John said........
"I think any excellent musician can wail on a crap instrument."
With real thrust out of your turns, you can get away with a lot less area in your board.

The most advance surfcraft going these days are tiny little things, some under 5' long.
They are riding the biggest, heaviest waves ever with them.

And WOW have you heard!? :shock:

Many have fin set ups that are exactly like I was doing nearly 30 years ago!
4 really small, nearly equal size fins, (the rear ones being symetrically foiled), set with very slight angles at the back of the board.

And most are swallow tails!

The guys riding them tell me that they are "really FAST".
Faster than anything else they've ever ridden!

Again,
Are we not seeking speed and control?
Shouldn't we?

I am and have been since day 1.
Bud

Post by Bud »

"strangely enough one of those photos you posted (left hander) is in front of the reef on the NTh side of MY beach (heh)".
Not strange at all really.

With a few of your comments about your location in other posts and images you posted with the view out the window, plus the happy coincidence that wannasurf had the shot and location mapped, and that nifty new digital world map source, I was able to make a decent "educated" guess about that shot being "your" spot.

I think I can even see your house!
Don't go out in the yard undressed :oops: or you might be in the shot when they update all those images to higher resolution.

Google Earth is F#$*ing amazing! 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: