Channels on a Fish

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

WillP
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Channels on a Fish

Post by WillP »

Do channels work on a fish?
skansand
Legend (Contribution King!)

hmmm

Post by skansand »

not if its gonna be ridden in slop/mush/bump...channels like clean waves...this is coming from someone without experience ...although ive bodyboarded with great success in slop and my bb has channels......
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
chasinglefts
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by chasinglefts »

Though i've only ridden this board twice, my initial opinion is a resounding yes!

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.c ... t_id=15016;

the twin channels on my quad are similar to the venturi effect made so popular by the Campbell bros. Bonzer's

I've had it in 6ft barrels and 3-4ft wedgy peaks, and it worked great. really fast, holds a high line
jdkneelo

Post by jdkneelo »

ive been riding an allan byrne 5/10 channell squaretail and it goes great in all conditions. i,d heard that spiell about only going well in clean waves but this handles the onshore well. the fastest board i,ve ridden
maxb

Post by maxb »

It all depends on the depth and severity of the channels. Most of my boards have 4 channels in the rear third.The ones with shallow soft channels work really well in good waves and crap,the deeper channels seem to like cleaner faces.
I don't know much ,except for my own experiences with them.
But they sure make the boards fly :D
Max
kbing newport
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

Max, I think that you're spot on! From what I recall, one of my custom fishes from Lis, he shaped me a board with chanels and single wing.
it worked extremely well when the waves were super clean. My last Toby has two soft chanels that run in between the quad fins that act like afterburners. Rides awesome in any kind of wave. :D
Willy Kelly

Post by Willy Kelly »

Will P I have a single flyer swallow tail with a six channel set up from Bruce I would think with out the flyer it still would work well and it does like the glass but still goes well in a little bit of a bump

peace and good waves
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Hi Will, I have a board with small channels just in the middle of the board, not sure if they work. :roll: :lol: I rode a quad recently that had deep channels all the way to the tail. It was fast, but went straight. I found it not to be good for cutbacks. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Bud

Post by Bud »

The trick is with those things (on any shape) is to cut them in and maintain the right rocker.
Even trickier is to find some poor devil to sand them after the blank gets laminated. :lol:
maxb

Post by maxb »

Bud,glassing them is no cakewalk either,by the way,I will be sending you an email about a new board,really like the F2K I have now
Max
kbing newport