Questions for Quad Riders ........

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Have you felt the effect of 'quad boost'?

I ride a quad and have never felt it.
9%
I ride a quad and have felt it often.
65%
I ride a quad and have felt it seldom.
5%
I ride a tri and have never seen it in other surfers.
7%
I ride a tri and think that I have seen it.
2%
el zorro está de sus tuercas!!!!
12%

Total votes: 43

Smokin Rock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Smokin Rock »

i've always wanted to know how many (approx) buckets of water are in the ocean? any takers?
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

side note:
i know it's more than 5 because one day i went down to the ocean with all my buckets (which happened to be 5) and started dipping and counting. unfortunately i ran out of buckets. this was after my first failed attempt at dipping and running up the beach a bit and pouring them out. after a few hours and hundreds of buckets i theorized maybe the water might be running back to the ocean and thusly seriously degrading the validity of my experiment.
fooj

Post by fooj »

SR,
There are approximately 3.612 x 10²º gallons of sea water in the ocean. If your bucket is a 1 gallon, the number is the same. Otherwise, you must divide by the number of gallons your bucket is to get the answer to you question.

From here: http://www.princeton.edu/~tprep/tsm/sci ... allons.htm

Hope I saved you some leg work.
bongbong
hannya
Local (More than 25 post)

questions for quad riders

Post by hannya »

Hi Zorro
I know I stated I maybe wrong. Didnt want to start any fights here ive seen how people get on this sight. Some of the other comment about startrekklingonsaholesbellybuttons. I dont want to know where that came about. I thank you once again for trying to enlighten me on this subject. If this thread were a map it will lead in many different directions. Which direction someone takes is up to them.
I saw this on the wall at work yesterday
Arguing on the internet is like competeing in the special olympics.
Even if you win your still retarded.
THIS IS JUST A STATEMENT NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK.
And I know not all special olympians are retarded theyre handicapped.
Think I'll go search for thrust now :wink:
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

Headwaxes threads are almost always interesting, often controversial. panties can be put in a twist as well as minds enlightened.
let's remember that surfing is about fun and a sense of humor is more important than most of the details. (even in the special olympics)
sometimes a little levity can stave off the harsher words. 8)
besides, if Ler is having orifice identification problems, i think we should at least point him in the right direction.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Gee, I just had a nice sleep and woke up to fix soemthing I wrote --- :lol: (I see no one noticed I put my foot in it :!: )

John wrote:
have 3 boards that have no toe - in and they are quadfish.They ride like the keel fish but hold better and you don't have to setup your turns nearly as much.....(snip) and are dead straight with no cant at all.
I used to ride tris with the outside fins set more in from the rail then normal with no cant and minimal toe in. One day I changed to a more 'normal' setip.

I found especially in cutbacks that the board started to track. It was good tracking though because you could set the board and leave it and it would continue on its line and leave you to setup the next turn. Sort of auto pilot :D

Martin Murph

its good to have such a resume because it makes people sit up and listen.

My background is in 'light'.
Refraction, dispersion, diffraction.
Air water light all do it. :!:
So do threads. :lol:

Both SR
let's remember that surfing is about fun and a sense of humor is more important than most of the details.
and MartinMurph
This forum is very much like cocktail hour banter as opposed to a formal class on hydrodynamics.
heading in the right direction :lol:

cheers
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

All I know is is my surfing is like watching "chaos theory" in motion, I am all over the place, often crashing in a heaping smoldering wet mess :lol:
Hmmm, can you be smoldering and wet at the same time?
Yes, I often feel quad boost on bottom turns, or on the downward pump :D going down the line.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
zorro

Post by zorro »

Surfer May 1981

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/7216 ... etc8xh.jpg

so MF, Lerner and Darcy were writing history all that long ago?

Re lift in fins

If lift in fins was important.....

A toed in fin travelling along the line of the stringer might be expected to have higher pressure on the curved side, lower pressure on the inside - and would consequently want to turn toward the stringer :?:

And if aoa effect was similar to an aeroplane wing, then with more water hitting the outside of the fin the board would want to be lifted toward the stringer? Or would it? Is it just that the tail of the board is lifted toward the stringer and the fulcrum point of this turning moment is somewhere near the buried rail? Consequently the nose movement is in the other direction to the tail movement?

Or is it merely that the fin wants to travel the path of least resistance.
Ie the fin continually wants to straigten itself into the water flow and reduce the amount of friction happening?

any comments?

cheers
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

Well, I've finally had the epiphany today (well its come slowly)

it's all related to theflex of the front fin.

that'll do
fooj

Post by fooj »

I got quad boost on my quad with a missing trailer fin. Does that still count or is it considered a three fin after knocking one out? The board ripped and I'm actually tempted to take it back out without the fourth fin because it would be a few $ to replace and it worked so well.
bongbong
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Kind of like an asymetrical fin setup Fooj :) Is it better for your backside, or frontside? I'm riding my Blast this week in OC, MD. man this thing rips!!! :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

:)

Fooj maybe it means 'less is more'. (that's what I tell to my girlfriends anyway - speaking about the hair on my head)

Hi Mike :)

wow this thread has had over 22,000 views. Never knew there were so many kneelos - or one very busy one.

and the flashpoint over 66,ooo. Bloddy amazing. :wink:
KEL
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by KEL »

You guys crack me up...........i see this thread that looks like a million years old and i start about in the middle.............reading every post thinking....this is awesome. then it dies for 4+ years and fooj and company picks it back up like no time has past!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: KEL
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

yes this one was a good ride
pity that Zorro guy disappeared.
I think he was lynched by the Steve Lis fish crew. ;)
Red wrote: Oct 8th 2003

"If you're trying to ride over a foam section and still make the wave (floater?), throw both arms forward as you hit the section. This adds forward momentum and gets you positively positioned (head over nose of board, ass up) "[/size]
I like this.