Hollow wooden kneeboard

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

finger
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by finger »

WAY TO GO 8)

TOMWAY

HOPE IT RIDES AS GOOD AS IT LOOKS

PLEASE WHATS THE OTHER SIDE LOOK LIKE

AND THANK YOU FOR SHARING WITH US

gary
Man O' War
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Man O' War »

That is gorgeous. Beautiful board, beautiful wife... what else do you need?

What was your finish coat, and I'm curious, what's the weight?
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

Wow Tom truely a craftsman's work!
ross

Post by ross »

going off mate 8)
tomway

Post by tomway »

Yes! I can see the finish line now, and looking forward to getting the thing in the water. Not done yet tho, the previous photo was the 'cheater' coat to lock down the resins in the wood ready for glassing. It looked so nice I got excited and posted the photo.

The actual order of events. I turned the rails very timidly (6 hours!) using hand planes. In fact the little block plane accounted for most of the work. I tried the electric planer on some scap bits of stock left over from the rail blanks and it was really hard to get an accurate cut. Not like shaping foam at all, it created lots of ugly waves along the bevel. Perhaps some knowledge of planer types/setting/knives would solve this, but I went for the hand planes to be safe. Jon, you were right, the handplanes seemed to know what a rail should look like and needed very little guidance! Sharpening the knives using varying grades of fine sandpaper on glass with a light oil worked really well. Smoothed out the planer cuts with 60g and then 100g sand paper. Here are some interim photos.

I'm not going to glass it myself (out of respect to my wife who oft reminds me that I don't live alone anyore). Hopefully someone in bali will be able to wrap it in single 4oz cloth top and bottom and gloss it for me. Also as there is no good epoxy here it will have to be done with polyester. Shouldn't be a problem as I haven't used any really oily woods in the construction. I wiped the wood down with acetone and gave the whole thing a coat of laminating resin thinned down with styrene, and UV catalyst to make it kick nice and quickly in the sun.

Also did my best to foil some fins. I've decided to try a kind of canard quad set up. Hope they work on a kneeboard. Anyone tried this set up before? Any ideas about toe and cant? The front fins are single foiled and the canards are double foiled as per the norm. Layed up the plys myself from scraps of local wood. The rear fins have got a thin sheet of acrylic in the centre to create the translucent effect. One layer of 6oz glass. The photos show hotcoat still wet.

And I guess that's it for a few weeks until it gets glassed.
Thanks again for the numerous suggestions, comments and encouraging words - wouldn't be the same board without them!

Tom

p.s how about a ksusa Indo meet sometime?
frencho
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by frencho »

That board is gorgeous!!!!! Great work!!!!! :D
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

AB here, have you thought about just applying 1/2 doz. coats of 2 pac. polyurathane [ wattle 2 pac ] instead of glass. I've got a 1986 queensland cedar board [ foam blank glass then cedar verneer all vac baged ] and thats all i did to finish it. Saved weight strong easy to repair still looks as good now. Could send you pic's AB
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
tomway

Post by tomway »

A few weeks ago, whilst attending a workshop on the finer points of pedagogy (how to teach - and yes I did just look it up in the dictionary) I notice one of my colleagues doing some fancy doodles on a bit of paper. I told him about this board project and slyly let drop that I didn't have any kind of logo. He took a look at the pics of the board, spent a few hours in photo shop and came up with this:

Pretty classy :!: Okay... she's standing up, but she's standing on a wooden board, and the colours suit I think. Apparently he played around with a pic by a famous Czech artist called Mucha (sp?). Sugar Palm is a reference to one of my favourite trees, the lontar. Probably one of the most useful trees on the planet. Thanks Toby, you're a legend. I'd put a copyright on it but Mucha might send bad karma from the grave!

Board's almost out of the glassers now, so too late to put a decal in, but definitely on the sister board. Providing there's a bit of swell test day -4 and counting. Can't wait!
K-man

Post by K-man »

''Pretty classy''is an understatement...You've got good friends indeed!
Great reference to the sugar palm,avery important food source in certain tropical areas.There are male and female trees.
there appears to be more to the pic than meets the eye?

Is that a fish hook with attached line by the nose of the board?And what else?Very cool indeed,will look good on that sweet looking board!

cheers :)
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

I see an opportunity. Darken the hair and put your wife's name instead of Sugar Palm. :wink:
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

Great artwork, fits the wooden board very nicely. Could be a Maxfield Parrish ...
:D
dm
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
crox

Post by crox »

Beautiful board Tomway. :D

In answer to your fin qustion...this was my experience...are they similar fins?

http://kneeboardsurfing.co.uk/forum/YaB ... 1152545789
tomway

Test Day!

Post by tomway »

Ahhh! I just lost my entire post that took almost an hour to write. Timed out.

Well, the board got tested last weekend, and here are the photos documenting it. I was joined by my best mate from England Q, his girlfriend and my wife Lene. The test ground was around the small plot of land I call home and the wave 'Pensions'. Pensions is in a sheltered bay and needs a good west swell to start breaking so very few people know about it and it's never crowded (touch wood). While Indo's south facing beaches were pumping last week at 8-10ft, Pensions only got a bit of swell, but the 2-3 footers were ideal for testing.

Thanks to Q's girlfriend Rocio for sitting in the boat with a camera she'd never used before. You spoilt us Rocio!

Lene and I waiting for swell in time honoured Indon fashion:
Image Image

Walking out to where the dinghy is moored, across Kali Buaya (crocodile river):

Pensions greets me as I paddle out for the first session. 1/2 hour before dark.

First wave:
Image Image

Yeeeesssssss! :P

Next morning. Higher tide, not so shallow and warming to the board. Sequence by Rocio:

:D So it works, and I'm extremely stoked! I've made some notes about how it feels and possible improvements for the future, to be posted later.
markgnome

Post by markgnome »

just beautiful Tomway! the fish lives!
finger

Post by finger »

sister board :?: 8) 8) :)

more info please

BOARD :)