Hollow wooden kneeboard

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

tomway
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by tomway »

HI BTM, thanks for sharing your method, really interesting. I'm trying to visualise the frames you describe, but it would be good to see some pictures.

To be honest, I've stopped with the hollows now. After building 6 or 7 of them I realised that wood skinned composite-sandwich boards were much more practical: lighter (less dangerous as I surf alone most of the time); easier to get a perfect foil, adjust rocker; easier to predict and manipulate flex. There are a few pics of my compsand boards buried on my blog www.sugarpalm77.wordpress.com

Like you I've abandoned the gortex breathers. A number of them ended up leaking on me. I machine up little stainless screw plugs now. And epoxy all the way.

What wood do you use for your skins? With the compsands I moved to balsa, but after four years of mushy porridge ding repairs I'm fed up with it. Going to move back to woods that have better water resistance (Chinaberry/mindi is my current favourite, and easily sourced locally from managed plantations). I'd use paulownia if I could get my hand on it.