Feedback on Romanosky Boards, for the new guy....

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Craig2027
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Feedback on Romanosky Boards, for the new guy....

Post by Craig2027 »

I'm looking for a new board, I've had my current one since 1983, if you can believe that. It's a 6 footer, fish w' swallowtail and glassed in wood fins. 23" on width and 2.5 at thickest point. Pretty round / soft on the rails. It was shaped by one of the shapers working at G&S in San Diego on the corner of PB Drive and Mission, and glassed by the guy next door at the time, Joe Roper. I'm good sized at 6'4" and current weight at 250, and ever so slowly heading south. I like the look of the Quad fin design Romanosky boards and I am looking for any feedback/advice. Thanks in advance.
KAVA
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by KAVA »

I LIKE RON'S BOARDS THEY CATER TO THE OLD SKOOL RIDER. ON THE OTHER HAND I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOREWARD TO GETTING A FLASHPOINT SOMETIME SOON TOO! IF MONEY IS NO OBJECT THEN GET ONE OF THE ROMO'S OR DEAN CLEARY IS LOCAL ALSO
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Craig2027

Post by Craig2027 »

Thanks. I'll give the other ones a look also.
Jeff
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Jeff »

Go with a Flashpoint you can't go wrong
Craig2027

Post by Craig2027 »

Once again, thanks guys. By the way, what seems to be the popular , or favored swim fin of choice? I've got a pair of rare long blade Churchills green, with blue stiff ends. They are even stamped with "Owen Churchill" and the original company address. I also have a pair of Toobs Bluntcuts. As the legs age, I'm looking for the most result for the effort. It seems the U.S. Divers Shredder Surf II generate a good response here, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
boards_and_fins
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by boards_and_fins »

Craig2027 wrote:Once again, thanks guys. By the way, what seems to be the popular , or favored swim fin of choice? I've got a pair of rare long blade Churchills green, with blue stiff ends. They are even stamped with "Owen Churchill" and the original company address. I also have a pair of Toobs Bluntcuts. As the legs age, I'm looking for the most result for the effort. It seems the U.S. Divers Shredder Surf II generate a good response here, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
I like Viper short yellow dots. I have a Romo that I really like, especially in big ledgy beachbreak, in my limited time on his boards I notice that they need a decent wave to keep moving, not what I would choose for riding mush. I also ride a Blast that I would never sell because I like it so much. Never had a flashpoint.
your mom goes to college
Craig2027

Post by Craig2027 »

Good point on the boards. I'd probably want to go with a board that is going to cover a wider range of conditions. On smaller mush days my current board will not work. Or maybe it's just me. On large days, it's epic.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

i used to use duck feet and church hills but have since gotten a pait of orange dot vipers that i love. I heat UDT's are nice too if you can find them
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
skansand

udts

Post by skansand »

can get em at the greenroom and froghouse in certain sizes...but with "old man legs" you might wanna stick to your churchhills......
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Craig2027

Post by Craig2027 »

Well the legs aren't too old, yet. Check this out, if they were XL's I'd take them..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Swimaster-D ... dZViewItem

Looks like a pair of vintage Duck Feet.
On that note, other than socom web site, who else is out there doing online UDT Duck Feet, sales. Froghouses' site isn't up yet, I couldn't find anything on Greenroom. Thanks in advance.
boards_and_fins

Post by boards_and_fins »

Craig2027 wrote:Well the legs aren't too old, yet. Check this out, if they were XL's I'd take them..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Swimaster-D ... dZViewItem

Looks like a pair of vintage Duck Feet.
On that note, other than socom web site, who else is out there doing online UDT Duck Feet, sales. Froghouses' site isn't up yet, I couldn't find anything on Greenroom. Thanks in advance.
contact Greg Deets for all UDT and duck feet. His email is : parsimony@earthlink.net
your mom goes to college
Craig2027

Post by Craig2027 »

Thanks Martin, I'll give them a call. I've been intrigued by the re-vamping of the UDT duck feet, as I've been able to find voit duck feet all over e-bay, yet they are markedly different than the UDT cut. Once again, thanks for all the tips and info.
JackG

Post by JackG »

Craig2027 wrote:Good point on the boards. I'd probably want to go with a board that is going to cover a wider range of conditions. On smaller mush days my current board will not work. Or maybe it's just me. On large days, it's epic.
I've got a Flashpoint that Bruce built for smaller waves. I love it. As long as conditions are at least knee high I can (and do) outrun long boards on it. In windswell mush it always finds the shoulder. It goes well up to about shoulder high where the wide tail that works so well in small stuff starts to bounce. Something like this might be a good complement to you other board.

For bigger stuff I had Bruce make me a derivative that is tweaked for bigger stuff. Love the scalability of Bruce's designs.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig2027

Post by Craig2027 »

JackG and Beeline, thanks guys. I'm seriously leaning toward Flashpoint. I remeasured my current board, 5'9" 21" on the width, 2.25 on the rails fish , swallowtail, with the glassed in wood fins pushed way back. Now it all comes to light. For a guy my size the board shreds on the bigger stuff, and croaks on the smaller days. I had always thought it was me and not the equipment. You'd think since I've been doing this semi regularly since 1977, I'd have gotten a clue. Sheesh.

Great insight and feed back, thank you all again, now if the friggin waves here in San Diego would just pick up..........till I get a Flashpoint

So what do you think, 6"1", 6"2"? 23" on the width, 2.5 on the rails?