Kneeon - Wayne Hutch

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

freshfruitflava
Local (More than 25 post)

Kneeon - Wayne Hutch

Post by freshfruitflava »

Is Wayne Hutch shaping anything anywhere? Last i heard (a few years ago), he was in Samoa doing tours...I've tried a lot of boards from various shapers in the last eight years or so & they've all felt boaty & fat in comparison. Sure, we're all getting older , but watchin some older sparra farra vids alongside some later vids has me wondering...(jest tinkink owt lowd)
strudle
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by strudle »

Nobody knows? Has this guy done something wrong, and that's why nobody talks about him? I recently had a go on a 6 or 7 year old Kneeon, and it was magic. The board was much thinner than the 3 major brand boards I've riden before. I've been told thickness helps with paddling, but I found the thinner Kneeon was sleeker and actually paddled faster. I know the bottom shape, rails etc account for a lot too, but found it much slicker through the water, fast, manuverable, sweet. Outline was pretty good looking too. Anyone able to answer freshfruitflava's question? If this guy still shapes I would love to get a Kneeon at some stage.
Headwax.
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Headwax. »

still shapes as far as I know, maybe warriwoood in sydney

if you want, email mel at the novos, one of our guys shannon berwick uses him all the time (Kneon not mel)
this part censored Jan 2012

life's full of choices tho, I'm sure he'll make you a good board, he's got the ability and the experience
Last edited by Headwax. on Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

Beeline,

You just narrowed the choices of shapers down quite abit.
red

Post by red »

This doesn't only concern Hutchy (I know he can shape a good board), so it may be off-topic (but I throw it in, anyway).

There are a lot of guys who can shape boards.

A number of them are technically quite proficient and knowledgable.

Good shapers are technically proficient shapers that consistently produce equipment that works - they don't have "off" days (or don't work on those days).

Great shapers are good shapers who have the ability to listen actively so you end up with the board you thought you wanted, but altered so it actually works for you.

The only excellent shaper is when you shape a board for yourself. You think its the best thing ever and would probably kiss your own a$$ if you could reach (until the honeymoon wears off and you find someone who can produce a board that actually goes or decide to fix the problems with your original design)

... then of course there is the rest of the business package, as Beeline commented.
scoop

Post by scoop »

On Topic

I hear Wayne does still shape
But only over short intervals when back in OZ
HE STILL DOES THE SAMOA THING
So if you want a Kneeon you may have to wait till he is ready
I know John Cling-on was lucky when ordering his last ... but the thieves thought so too ... so didn't hesitate when seen inside his garage whilst John not there ... via locked door
Dont you hate that ...
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
mark ricketts

Re: Kneeon - Wayne Hutch

Post by mark ricketts »

freshfruitflava wrote:Is Wayne Hutch shaping anything anywhere? Last i heard (a few years ago), he was in Samoa doing tours...I've tried a lot of boards from various shapers in the last eight years or so & they've all felt boaty & fat in comparison. Sure, we're all getting older , but watchin some older sparra farra vids alongside some later vids has me wondering...(jest tinkink owt lowd)
I know what you mean - those sequences of Simon at fairy bower are wicked but I suspect farrer could surf a door and make it work!

Wayne Hutch is working for Samoana Surf Resort in Samoa. As far as i know, he only shapes when he is back on "holidays"in Oz now as its hard to get materials here and he is a bit over the hard core shaping thing but its still all up there.

you can contact him thru Samoana - i know he has got a wicked looking unridden gun for sale. perfect for solid indo or up north in WA.

he did three boards last time he came over and they look very sweet. I've seen one in action with him on it and it didn't show any hang ups.
freshfruitflava

Thanks M.R & Scoop! I'll definately look into that next changeover.
(...aahh, caaaahmoon...we can get the new fridge in a few maaanths...the esky'll be fiiine...Oouch!...)
Headwax...Thanks. I too know all too well the sting of that sort, but not from Wayne Hutch.
I wouldn't name that shaper tho' in this environment. It all seems a bit permanent! & i know for a fact that that guy keeps a lot of people happy with his boards.
In my case, I could sort of accept how such a thing could happen,
but not the sweet talk :lol:
masking the bitter truth :x .
(Strudle?...umm,... :roll:)
Hammer Slammer

Post by Hammer Slammer »

Last i saw, Wayne was selling them through SurfTrader at Warriewood Sydney.
red

Post by red »

you can contact him thru Samoana
Tried the general contact email - no response
Is SurfTrader still going?
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

FFF

if you are serious email Mel at the novos

he'll put you onto Gary
who has recently been in contact with Hutch in regards to a surf camp.

Gary will put you onto Hutch.

Unless, of course, you feel inclined to call either person a "toolbox".

Then I imagine you will receive a less warm response.

------------------------------------------------

Perfect waves here today. What a swell!
john -

Post by john - »

you know toolboxes are quite useful and the above post proves the point...so im not sure it was'nt a compliment Andrew...I mean what would the shed be like:?:

however, a feminine toolbox...mmme...love in the shed

...id better get out there and finish sanding that table the mrs has got me at...then there's the Danish oil....

...ah the Scandinavian desires...

can't wait to show her :wink:
freshfruitflava

Yeah, umm, kind of an unusual post there H.W. :roll:
As neither of those people have referred to me as a 'moron' or guessed at my, umm, 'IQ', then why would I :?: :shock:

But, thanks (I think).
Tinso

Post by Tinso »

Hey all,

Hutchy is back in business, living in Australia on the Central Coast, and shaping beautiful boards!
I talked to him at his place on Wednesday, and he gave me two of his own boards to try. I was pretty impressed, and have ordered 3 from him!

Anyway, he is shaping, and trying really hard to get things up and running again. If you'd like to contact him, PM me and I'll send you his mobile number. Alternately get on to Mel from the Novo club via the KSA website, and he has his number as well.

Should have my new armoury in three to four weeks, ready for the Phillip Island Pro. I'll let you know how they go!