Kneeon - Wayne Hutch

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Tinso
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Tinso »

Yeah, well...how did they go?
Have board 1 in the water so far - 5'10" Quad with a big concave, flattening out the tail for some drive when the wave runs out of such...nice sharp rails running right up the front, and a little flyer behind the first fin. Rounded pin tail. Hutchy made it for 'junk' waves.
The result?...Where have you been all my life???!!!
The thing absolutely smokes! What do you want the board to do?...just ask and it will respond!
Cannot get over how easily it planes over a dead section, then just seems to 'leap' into each turn or move. It's like a super-enthusiastic teenager with energy to burn (like I was once) ! I felt like a kid again riding this thing!
Don't you love it how a great new board gives you back that extra bit of 'stoke' you've been looking for?
Seriously, it's better than anything I've ridden for years. I've never had a board so responsive. Can't wait for the other two.
I'm not trying to blow smoke up Hutchy's ass here, but I'm one happy camper. A good shaper is worth his weight in gold!
...but I like to be different...
austo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by austo »

Tinso , would be nice to see some pics of the board/s. I just gave away an old Sundancer to a guy reliving the stoke after a long time out of the water shaped by Wayne.
Kneelos do it deeper
MALLEE BULL

Post by MALLEE BULL »

Wayne is on facebook as Kneeon kneeboards
LOVE FIXING UP OLD BOARDS
AND STAINED GLASS WINDOWS
Tinso

Post by Tinso »

Yeah, it's always a drama getting pics on a site like this!
PM me your email address, and I'll send you a few, as I've already done for other members of this site. No, I won't pass your email to anyone else!!!
Wayne shaped for the likes of Hot Buttered, Aloha, and many more way back when. I was impressed by how much he was willing to discuss what shaping characteristics would do what I wanted, and how a subtle tweak would do so much. The result speaks for itself - the guy knows his s*&^!
Anyway, can't wait to get my 'good wave' board, and my 'gun'...the stoke is well and truely back!
Tinso

Post by Tinso »

GOOD WORD? Censorship, eh? Wasn't even bad...
Tinso

Post by Tinso »

6'2" and the other 5'10" have now settled in to my life. And turned my surfing on it's head...for the better!
The 6'2" turned out to be my salvation at Phillip Island. Carved through 3-4ft bumpy reforms to get me a 2nd then a 1st in my heats. It handles a bit of size and cuts through chop to be a nicely controlled board, but still loose enough to do what you want. There is no feeling of fighting the length of a 'gun' board that I've heard from others about their bigger board(s). As the shape itself demonstrates, it's just an extension of the smaller boards, and feels much the same, but with the bigger board control and stability (know what I'm getting at here?).
All that said, I am adjusting to a new approach to my surfing - again for the better. Maybe that's my new-found stoke, but having these boards has definately got a lot to do with it!
Loving them!!!
Tinso

Post by Tinso »

Just a bit of an update on where Kneeon is at...

Kneeon has undergone a change of ownership with Wayne Hutch selling the well known brand to Nick Hartigan, a circuit hardened competitor for many years.
Nick has been shaping and selling a number of boards to suitably impressed kneeboarders under his own brand 'Tempest'.
Wayne is staying on with Nick to pass on his knowledge in board shaping and running the Kneeon business.

As usual, I'm more than happy to put anyone in touch with either of these guys.
My best contact is tinso71.ct@gmail.com.
Thommo

Wayne Hutch

Post by Thommo »

Thanks for that Tinso handy to know what's going on. I have a 5'7" x 24" Hot Buttered tri fin shaped by Wayne that to this day is still my fun board to ride. I bought it in 1988 and liked it for what was known then as a high speed finish. Only rode it yesterday in a small swell and still am impressed on it's agility. It is one board that has stood the test of time. Cheers :D
matureagekneelo
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by matureagekneelo »

Hey Tinso,
I think I was at Wayne's place when you picked up your boards. He made me a very similar board to take to the Maldives 5'11". It performed extremely well in 2' to 6' and continues to back home on the Central Coast. Very happy
Tinso

Post by Tinso »

Cool, great to hear it went well.
Wish I would have had mine for my Maldives trip.

I do recall meeting some one when picking up a board/boards from Wayne. Could have been mine, or one of two for my kids.

Wayne still makes them, and his now partner-in-crime Nick Hartigan is also turning out some beautiful work, with some very impressed customers!