Why do we hate our own shapers so much?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

PaulN
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Why do we hate our own shapers so much?

Post by PaulN »

I have wanted to ask this question since I started riding kneeboards. Why, on this site is there so much angst directed toward what I have seen termed as the "typical American shaper” of kneeboards? That, as American kneelos, we are somewhat a step behind because of the lack of mainland shapers jumping on new design trends. What about Schoelkopf? What about Romo? Personally I have never ridden a Schoelkopf but people love them. Now Romo I have ridden pretty much every board he makes, and I love most of them, especially the quad fish. I understand that I am opening a can of worms here but..... I know Hart and Bud make nice boards (how could I not?), and I have ridden both, but is it not the archer in most cases, not the arrow? Just asking...
SCRUB IT KOOK!!!
john -
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by john - »

ever tried hitting the target with a bent arrow :?:

just starting the can opener here :wink: :lol:
MWROBERTSON

Shaper

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Paul,

Good question but I think hate is a strong word. I can attest from personal experience that most guys/girls that I know are now riding overseas equipment due to design progression and the shapers openmindedness toward the surfers goals.

Enough cannot be said about what these guys are doing now. Certainly, Bud McCray-Blast,David Parkes-Parkes Friar Tuk, Rob Slater-Drift, Neil Luke-Island,Bruce Hart-Flash Point are all making state of the art equipment. Some of the best riders in the world are on their boards and keep pushing them OR they are pushing themselves for more performance.

CA shapers like Eric Sholekopf keep pushing the limits with many hot riders helping his board design insight. If you talk to Eric, he is a real thinker about progressive design. Dean Cleary had so much success with his 70's style double wingers that he has kept that basic shape with modern day refinments. John Mel-Freeline has shaped more boards than I have hairs on my head. His boards are state of the art with roots grounded in functional design. Read Romo's website even he seems to be open toward different variations and fin placement.

Trying different boards and different shapers will open up new doors in your surfing. There are now countless combinations to experiment with. A shaper, a board design, # of fin's, fin placement, tails, lenghth, width, rocker etc. etc.

Gain insight and influence form others. What works for them may not work for you.

The way the sport and boards are being pushed now it is reallyTOUGH LOVE we are giving our shapers. I know some of the welcome the passion! :wink:
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

well put mark
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Craig

Post by Craig »

" Typical American shaper" of Kneeboards :?: No such thing.

Blast, Feeline, Schoelkopf, K- 58 even Romo anything but Typical.

What fantastic new design trends should they be jumping on :?:

I like my Shaper :shock: but keep it quite if he finds out it'll make him go slower so shhh.

bEnt aRrOw gRoM :!:
skansand

peter mel

Post by skansand »

does peter mel kneeboard??? Or JUST tow into crazy-huge-mavericks!!!!...do you mean john mel???
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Beeline2.0

Re: Why do we hate our own shapers so much?

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Pete Mel dosn't KB - never has. But I've been kidding him about KBing since he was a whipper snapper. Once I ran into Pete and his famliy walking to the beach and he was carrying all the equipment.

He had his shortboard and was carrying a pair of Vipers (in the same hand) for body surfing with his young sons. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to say how stoked I was to see im finally KBing. lol

I'm really happy with my Freeline KBs. They do it all and then some.

But, then again , we aren't contest-oriented surfers. We just want to dominate any break were surfing.
kbing since plywood days
toofast3

Post by toofast3 »

This is where I differ for most KBers. The boards I have had made for me over the yrs have been shape by the enimey. Stand-up shapers and they are local. Does this mean I ride boards that don`t perform ?? I don`t think so. If I rode a main stream kb board, would I be better ?? Who knows.
I just like the relationship part of the local guy. The guy that did my last board, I spent alot of time getting to know him and him me. When the board was being done it was ok for me to stop by and see the progress. We would talk about stuff like what are you doing that for, how about if you do this, how can I get this out of it, and so on. I got the board I wanted and wouldn`t give it up for anything
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

The guys and gals posting on this site have a preference and relationship with the Blast, FlashPoint, and Parkes brands. It doesn't mean the other shapers are not good it's just we haven't established a relationship with others yet -- We don't know about them because they don't do any marketing, too underground, ect..
why are none of the OC shapers in here posting? at least once in a while? how cool would it be to see at least one of the local shapers at our kneelo gatherings? I respect our local kneelo shapers as they have made some great boards in the past. thing is, like many have said, they dont pro-gress. the same shapes and influences from 20+ years ago :cry: . I dare you to find a shaper with an apprentice under 30 years old? or with an apprentice at all. honestly i was realy impressed with the aussie, norcal and hawaiian shapers that post on this forum and interact with those who they shape for. still waiting for the socal shapers to become involved :roll: :wink:
Stand-up shapers and they are local
I used Brian Wallin of newport beach to shape (as far as i know) his 1st and only kneeboard a few years ago. i loved that board it performed really well and lasted me a long time. But wallin shapes is now putting out potatoe chip boards and he didnt have time to call me back (wanker!) so i went with a kneelo shaper. then got my flashy and was impressed yet again. when i was a young man/boy i was stoked on my Locally shaped kneeboards but now :?: im stoked on my flashpoint.

recently i went to a local surfshop to get a ding repaired. they had 7 (locally shaped) kneeboards for sale. Of those seven 1 was a trifin (which i prefer). it was 5'8" and the tallest of all seven :cry: ( i'm 6'6 ) none of them had a forward set fin placement. all seven looked the same with diffrent paint. the price range was $580.00 + :!:
so i gotta say WTF! If i am gonna spend that kind of money on a local board i wanna see some progressive designs and my local shaper at a gathering or two getting some input :evil:
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Ok I admit I made comment to N.County kneeboarder the other day. "I am happy with where I am at. I am not looking to porgess." After thinking about that for a week. What I should have said is with the board I now ride performance demands are met. I can do every thing I want. I do not fly through the air. I will say this here once and leave it alone. Air is not surfing! Tube riding is! I agree with Ron's view. Above 6' well just stand. I have more to say but got to go.
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

Above 6' well just stand
thats BS. how about contribute to the sport as it is today. the shaper you mentioned had contributed so much to the sport in the 20th century why not progress and give the masses what they want in the 21st century? Personally i think sales would go up if he/they (all retro kneelo shapers) did both. As far as to the quote? why dont you STFU and KMA :twisted:
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
ross

Post by ross »

interesting topic in a number of ways.
if you choose to have your boards made by anyone but a kneeboard shaper, that is your choice. i liken it to having a nice custom ping pong bat made for your next game of tennis and the performance differences will be just as visible.
kneeboard shaping business is far from a profitable venture. internationally our shapers are turning out some good stuff (some better than others of course). so i cant really see why there is any need to order boards from stand up shapers.
maybe some guys are hoping to stumble across some leap in design by looking elsewhere? Good luck with that. but i would understand how it makes a kneeboard maker feel when a guy walks in off the street and starts banging on about what works and what doesn't. to me it translates into
"yeah mate i know you've been at this kneeboard shaping caper for 30 years . but the other day when i was working in my un-design related job i came up with this brilliant idea about tweaking this and scooping out that.i can't believe i'm the only one thinking on this progressive level"

Its friggen insulting.

how many people out there would enjoy having some novice approach them in their professional occupation and say "oh your jobs easy i could pick that up in no time". Or try to feign an understanding of what you are doing (tradesmen cop it all the time).

its about manners.

we are privileged to have shapers who post on this sight. Especially when they actually weigh in on design discussion which proves they are here because the love it,not to plug their business.