Postcard

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

quadfin
Legend (Contribution King!)

Postcard

Post by quadfin »

Just figured I would send you guys (don't think there are any girls on this BB) a pic from yesterday. French Side..Oyster Pond.
Attachments
op1.JPG
(58.66 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

So, Quadfin, how many extra hammocks do you have?!
kbing since plywood days
hart

Post by hart »

surfhorn..he's going to have one less if I beat you to it. I'll take the french,oui?
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

hart - If its that goegeous there, I don't care were I sleep. Plus, I might even give you a wave or two!
kbing since plywood days
doc
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by doc »

jeez- might just have to say 'yes' to one of those yacht delivery jobs after all.....

You're what, a day's sail east of Tortola and two days east of Puerto Rico?

doc...... keep the sea bag packed, you never know.....
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

We are 200 miles from San Juan. Headed up that way in the next two weeks when the kid is out of school. The picture was Hurricane Kate swell and we are getting some of Tropical Storm Mindy, but PR is probably working. Ivandill was raving about the Kate swell in PR.

Still learning the spots here and I had seen the spot in the picture going off and not being surfed. Actually surfed the right on the other side of the rock that day. I think I have the last urchin spine out of my heel now and I wonder no more. Interesting paddle out but I've got the channel wired now.

Our surf community definitely grows here in the winter when the yachts come in. Email me if you are headed this way.
Surf Hard Live Slow
doc

Post by doc »

will do - Dan and I have a buddy who has been wintering in Tortola for some years now and has been inviting us for at least as long..... might just have to see what happens this winter. How's the fishing?

doc........
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Talked with the Captain of the Casanova..64 Hat..last nite and said they hung 4 blues and a spearfish yesterday coming in from St. Thomas within site of the island.

Lots of Wahoo,Dorado, etc. close in and a place called Blue Marlin Alley is 35 miles from here. The lagoon has Robalo and Tarpon among others.

There are so many Mega Yachts and Sailboats here that the fishing boats don't hang in the season. Dock space for a fishing boat is getting expensive and hard to find. Most of the local charter guys are selling their boats, but that may have something to do with the type of market that they have now...more European.

Go to www.hiho-bvi.com for surf info on Tortola.
doc

Post by doc »

Ah yes. Marlin is tasty stuff....

couple other Tortola pics at http://www.nesurfari.com/home.htm , look for Yankees on Surfari.

doc...........
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Some good looking Tortola Pix. St. Thomas has waves as well and met some fired up groms from there.

Checked the water temp in your area on that site...58 degrees....about 3 degrees from my no gonad rule.

The early yachts started appearing this week. You do yacht deliveries Doc?
doc

Post by doc »

quadfin wrote:Some good looking Tortola Pix. St. Thomas has waves as well and met some fired up groms from there.

Checked the water temp in your area on that site...58 degrees....about 3 degrees from my no gonad rule.

The early yachts started appearing this week. You do yacht deliveries Doc?
I used to do stuff like that when I was a bit younger and looking for someplace warm to go instead of being on deck on scallop boat up here during the winter. Since then, I've gotten old and lazy and just sail for fun.

http://jfmill.home.comcast.net/Sharpie/sharpie.html

and.... 58 degrees is around the corner in Nantucket Sound, where the water is hot. Here, it's always about 10-15 degrees colder. I hang it up at around 35 F water temps, myself......

doc...........
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Doc,

Worked for 6 years in the North Sea so have a little experience with cold water...still shiver thinking about it.

They dumped my warm water ass in a Scottish Harbor with a survival suit in the winter time for my "survival course". Then they would wait for hypothermia to set in and tell us to climb back in the Zodiac.

Cruel bastards the Scottish.
Surf Hard Live Slow
doc

Post by doc »

now, just how did you know I'm scottish??

By the way, anybody who hasn't seen it, check out the new Travel Log section......

doc.......
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

doc wrote:now, just how did you know I'm scottish??

doc.......
Hope you know that was a joke. The North Sea offshore survival courses are now done in chilled pools with helicopter mockups and rescue divers, much more politically correct than the old days.

Checked out the Travel Log and saw the Herbrides waves. Never surfed there but did surf the Thurso area north of Aberdeen where there were surfers and some unnamed/unsurfed breaks south near Montrose.
Surf Hard Live Slow
doc

Post by doc »

Of course, man, not to worry. The little grinning ASCII guys are just something I never learned to use without feeling kinda odd, you know? It's like using the damn fool names you see on chain restaurant menus.

So you were on rigs? My brother was, I think, driving a supply boat up there not too long ago..... 3-4 years or so.

Damn those safety people - they take all the fun out of things.

doc..........