Photos that Help Us Redesign Boards?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

should all polls appear here?

yes
57%
no
14%
even when they are useless like this one?
29%

Total votes: 14

weirdo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by weirdo »

AhhhHeadwax.....
Always creating an intersting post. I have contacted the academic board at sydney uni asking for you to recieve an honourary doctorate in "Kneeboardology".
Maybe incorporating some silicon dioxide into glassing could create your 'hydrophobic effect". They use it these days to coat glasses...

Isnt that the idea of a matt finish on a board v gloss coat to give a bit more speed?.

W
Headwax.
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Headwax. »

Gooday Bryn

just thinking aloud. I think the pictures are important even if they only reinforce things that we already a ssume we know. Eg good to see the water travelling across the bottom of the board being caught by the quad fins cluster..

It's just great to have such clear pictures and so sad that no-one is taking advantage of them. I'd love to what's hapenneing with the British Five fin up close on a bottom turn.

On friction: we try so hard to reduce friction on our boards - foiled thickness, curved rails, inner foils on our fins etc - led me to wondering about a perfectly hyrophobic board and it suddenly occured to me that if we did a rail turn for example, the board wouldn't grip but slip out of the water. So a perfectly frictionless board would be uncontrollable. ... leads to a rethink of eg curved rails :)

as Frank said, maybe we want release and grip rathar then just release. It'ls like breaking design components down into masculine and feminine eg flat rocker (door) is max masculine, banana rocker is max feminine - you need a combo of both.

Weirdo

Thanks for the honourary doctorate :)

I know about the matte versus gloss ..... I once made a board that was so matt that it used to cut the skin on my hands to threads like wett and dry. Not sure about the gloss bit. Gloss obviously makes more work, makes the board costs more (reduces profit?) and adds weight. It might even make a board last longer - (;) ).... possibly against the surfboard industrie's interest.. .... who knows. Not me. :)

I know one ex world champion who used to spend a lot of his time rubbing hydrophobic compound 'X" into his board. I think it was a tactile thing. :)

Interestingly, I hear from a close source they also use teflon coating in spectacle making.

regards Drwax. (Hon)
willli

Post by willli »

dear Drwax,

this may interest you

http://www.shredda.com/about_us.htm
weirdo

Post by weirdo »

Now worries Dr headwax....wish I had been given an honorary doctorate....some of us have to do it the hard way!..

Willi....something about the pic of those "shredda" designers doesn't instill me with confidence that it would work??...
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

And so we have DRWeirdo, Drred and DrStrange and Prof Hart?

I'm impressed. :idea:

as far as shredda....

well as Allie Fox said in the Mosquito Coast
Strictly speaking, there's no such thing as invention, you know. It's only magnifying what already exists.
maybe these shredda guys are magnifying in the wrong direction?

but I see what you mean. The opposite of taking away friction.

Reminds me of the perpetual rubber band powered model aeroplane I dreamed of making when I was five. As the main rubber band wound down it wound up a s eries of secondary rubber bands that would click in when the first rubber band was exhausted, they in turn winding up the first as they drove the propeller and expended their energy...

the plane would fly around the world ...... :roll:

me and Allie fox are like this Image

PS remind me to spellcheck my homework will you?
MrBill
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by MrBill »

Bud wrote: I've been designing and testing kneeboards since I was 12 years old.
That first board was made in the garage of the house on Somerset. Kim was helping, I was watching and making a nusiance of myself.

Bud influenced me to start body surfing, which led to a belly board. He was the one who showed me that first picture of Greenough, which changed everything ...

Google & distant memories: a great combo.

Bud: Gotcha last.