Footies on kneeboards

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

DrStrange
Legend (Contribution King!)

Footies on kneeboards

Post by DrStrange »

This is sort of a parallel post to one I just put up on the Health forum.

Wondering about how different the dynamics are between KB and footboarding as it effects design. Have ridden KB a bit (spoon awhile and twin fin fish both in early 70's). In my mind the actual workings of the board and where you put pressure and when, are basically the same. Functional distance between knees gives a bit wider coverage than the length of a foot so wider board maybe a bit easier to handle on your knees. But then again, I've ridden some very wide stand up "eggs" that were tons of fun. It's all about how good the shape is.

So, anyone ever ride a longer quad KB or atri set-up standing? Do you need different thickness flow through the board? If I chicken out on going back to KB I was fantisizing having Bud shape me a slightly longer Y2K (longer than I'd use for KB) and a bit thinner to compensate for the length and using it as a stand up. (See my health post as to why I would end up standing)

From what I've seen of KB riding these days, seems like the same boards could really be fun standing up as well.

Thanks for any input.

Funny sychrony---was contemplating this post a few days ago then saw the post under Stories with the letter from the Tasmania surfer asking Bud if he shapes footboards.
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

In my opinion kneeboard and standup design is merging. My shaper always rides my kneeboards on test rides. If it is too easy for him I figure that I have gone in the wrong direction. I want my kneeboard to be quicker, turn faster, and ride deeper than a standup.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
stemple

Post by stemple »

As some pictures from the comp are posted, I think most people will find it pretty interesting. There must have been at least 6 or 7 shapers represented at contest. Lengths were all over the place but 5 10 to 6 foot was probably the most common. Widths varied from low 22's to as wide as 26".

In my opinion kneeboard and stand up design are not even close yet. If you are thinking of buying or making a board then do some research. the hottest best performing dimensions seem to be 5'10 to 6' with 23 to 24 inches of width.
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Buying.
the hottest best performing dimensions seem to be 5'10 to 6' with 23 to 24 inches of width.
I imagine you mean scaled for size. There's half-men, then there's 1/2 pint half-men if you get my drift...I'm only 5'3" and 130 pounds, wet.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »