width vs length

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

DrStrange
Legend (Contribution King!)

width vs length

Post by DrStrange »

I know there are a lot of design savy folks here and I have a question for you. Never really did figure this out with FB's either.

How can you figure out width for a board so that it rides (for the smaller person riding it) similarly to the way a wider/longer board rides for a larger person. Reason I'm asking is thinking of buying a used board, otherwise I'd just let the shaper figure it our. Just saw some posts (here? or UK forum?) extolling the virtues of a 6' X 24" KB. I figure that's for an average 160-180 pound 5'10" person. I'm 5'3" and 130 pounds. Is a 5'7" X 22" similar? Or would you keep the width closer, say 23" and just reduce the length and maybe the thickness?

While I'm at it, I'm really looking for a used Blast quad to buy. Anybody got one at the short end of their quiver they might like to part with? The 5'7" mentioned above is for sale on the Blast web site but I haven't heard back from the owner yet. Maybe he's on vacation in some exotic tropical ocean. Hope so. Somebody has to go when I can't to keep all the economies flowing. What I'm after is hopefully an all around board I can stretch into a wide range of conditions as it may be awhile before I can afford to work up a quiver of multiple boards. This will really be my first KB. Many years stand up, a few brief years KB in the early 70's. I'm b-a-a-a-ck...
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Just got email from Bud and he said he thinks maybe board too loose for where I live (lot of big hollow beach break and long point waves aaround here :D ).

Thing with length and width/height and weight---I think KB you have more leverage for side/side weight shifts and standing more leverage for front/back weight shifts so the relationships are probably different. Thickness added for heavier rider is another way (add in middle and dome the deck) Its all way more than I know anything about really. Most likely I'll just scrounge up and maybe Santa will get me a brand new one just made for me. I've always had the best results when I tell a shaper how I surf and what kind of waves and let them do their thing in regards to all shape details. From everything I've read, I get the feeling Bud is one of those who really has the Mojo and the monkey-paw magic down.

Guess another few months on a sponge won't hurt me too much. Get in better shape for when I can get a board...
doc
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by doc »

"I've always had the best results when I tell a shaper how I surf and what kind of waves and let them do their thing in regards to all shape details."

Couldn't agree more. I think Bud's very likely got a very good handle on what you'd need, especially as you're kinda non-generic. I also like his prices. Suspect that my next board is gonna be a Blast.....

doc.............
Don
Admin

Post by Don »

DrStrange wrote:Just got email from Bud and he said he thinks maybe board too loose for where I live (lot of big hollow beach break and long point waves aaround here :D ). ...
Any chance you can make it down to San Francisco in the next few weeks? We could line up a Blast or two for you to try with some of the boys around here who ride them. Just a thought.

Ocean Beach was VERY GOOD today... 8' faces, glassy / offshore, hollow lined up peaks w/ good power and speed. Now I remember why I surf here :wink:

PM me if you are interested in hooking up.

Cheers,

Don
Don Harris
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Don - so you think Ocean Beach was good....

Moss Landing was on fire all day with glassy conditions and 30 yard tube rides: 'Welcome to the Cave Train...Population 1'
kbing since plywood days