Surf Up

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Markem
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Surf Up

Post by Markem »

OK so it's an animated movie about penguins being the first surfers.
We've seen more unbelievable plots on a regular basis for years.

I could not believe some of the animation, the waves are so real looking and you see much of it from a surfers eye view.

Someone did their homework on this one. They've even got Rob Machado and Kelly Slater as commentators in parts.

I perdict there be even more surf schools than ever this year, surely some with peguin themes.

M2 Out
DarcyM
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by DarcyM »

Surf's Up!

Thumbs up!

It was cool ... fun, cute penguins and a couple times I laughed out loud. Good for the kids with some adult inside jokes, a predictable story line but done in a fresh way.

dm
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Any KBing penguins? I'm going next week when I'm down in Sta. Monica visiting my daughters and my grandson.
kbing since plywood days
ezak
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by ezak »

Hey stupidtee!
You mean baby seals don't you? :lol:

I'm gonna march on in to see it this weekend too. Wearing fins my wife always calls me a penguin on the beach anyway.
surf with soul
randiego

Post by randiego »

My gf (Jenny) works for Sony and she managed to host a press screening last week in Newport (Surf's Up is a Sony picture).

Jenny does PR promoting the water housing line for Sony cameras and the screening was a joint affair between Quiksilver and Sony. Promoting the water housings as an adjunct to the movie was a perfect fit and the event went really well. Great food and drinks, and then free popcorn and a screening of the movie!

About the movie - The wave animations in the movie were amazing! The hold-down sequence where Cody gets caught inside were totally realistic too! This is a great surf movie and I highly recommend going to see it - the dialogue and style was cleverly done I thought.

At the screening, Big Fred Rodriguez came over and brought his family, and Quiksilver invited their crew. Big Tony made an appearance, and Rob Machado, PT and Herbie Fletcher were there among others.

The best part of the event were the promotional materials for the Sony waterhousings. The brochure that was produced featured Bob Gove's photos and one is a very clear photo of Jack Beresford in Baja. That's right - a kneelo was featured in the promotional materials!

I'm going to post a new thread showing the artwork once I can figure out how to post a 1MB pdf to the site. Anyone who knows how to work that magic - send me a pm!

aloha :lol:
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

Randy,

Thanks for all the great info. I took the kids this weekend and we all loved it.
stemple

Post by stemple »

I took the kids a few days ago. They really enjoyed it. The first thing they said when it ended was they were disappointed there were not any kneelos. I must be training them right!
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

there's a huge model (life size +) of the Silver Surfer in the theater lobby to advertise for the upcoming Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer movie opening locally this week.

he's down on one knee and doing a rail grab .... :shock:

:P
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

The Twins and I are doing the midnight show Thursday of the Silver Surfer.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

I never got the chance to read the comic books of the Silver Surfer, but in the Fantastic Four he is the villian, he wants to destroy the world! :twisted:
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

I am not sure about the up coming movie but the Silver Surfer is always a good guy that is misunderstood by the humans that try to destroy him.

Is the Silver Surfer a metaphor for Kneeboarders?