Cheyne Horan Starfin

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Cheyne Horan Starfin on a Friar Tuck 5'10" Tri...

Great idea, this is a definite goer and clearly the work of an aquanautical genius!
23%
This is the most stupid idea I've ever heard born of the mind of an imbicile.
29%
Dunno
49%

Total votes: 35

Gareth 2
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Gareth 2 »

Give it a go whats to loose works for me 8)
GRAYMAN
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by GRAYMAN »

Gareth 2 wrote:Give it a go whats to loose works for me 8)
I would but Cheyne's a bit slow to reply! :wink:

G
Beeline2.0
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frankfqr

starfin

Post by frankfqr »

Before seeing the Cheyne website I was recalling the info Mr. Hendricks left me with, for every force you create you must consider the opposing force. I take that in your query as considering the lift you hope to attain with a fin obviously designed to do so, then what dynamics does the nose of your board present to contend with that lift,i.e. rocker and rail, will it pearl? Then I looked at the Cheyne photo section, --profound hull---,lift,something he's definatly got dialed in to complement the action in the tail..something to consider..but then hey, it's worth a shot...it's all just toys...good luck...frank.
Beeline2.0

Re: starfin

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRAYMAN

Re: starfin

Post by GRAYMAN »

frankfqr wrote:Before seeing the Cheyne website I was recalling the info Mr. Hendricks left me with, for every force you create you must consider the opposing force. I take that in your query as considering the lift you hope to attain with a fin obviously designed to do so, then what dynamics does the nose of your board present to contend with that lift,i.e. rocker and rail, will it pearl? Then I looked at the Cheyne photo section, --profound hull---,lift,something he's definatly got dialed in to complement the action in the tail..something to consider..but then hey, it's worth a shot...it's all just toys...good luck...frank.
That's a good point as it pearls now. However, I think it pearls cause I get too far forward to compensate for the tail. You're right though, ideally, I'd go for something like the FCS but it won't fit. :cry:

G
james

Post by james »

Grayman,

The 3D red tip will fit fin boxes with a fcs longboard fin adapter:

http://www.tactics.com/fcs/longboard-fi ... r?src=gglb

you can get them in the U.K. too, it's not a super solid connection between fin & adapter though - I drilled & tapped two extra bolts into mine to make it more solid.

I had a red tip fin on demo in a tri-fin KB but only for two or three surfs in small waves, it didn't seem to make any difference, but it may just be the conditions I tried it in :roll:

james
GRAYMAN

Post by GRAYMAN »

james wrote:Grayman,

The 3D red tip will fit fin boxes with a fcs longboard fin adapter:

http://www.tactics.com/fcs/longboard-fi ... r?src=gglb

you can get them in the U.K. too, it's not a super solid connection between fin & adapter though - I drilled & tapped two extra bolts into mine to make it more solid.

I had a red tip fin on demo in a tri-fin KB but only for two or three surfs in small waves, it didn't seem to make any difference, but it may just be the conditions I tried it in :roll:

james
Top man!

I'll give it a try first I think. Good old FCS eh!

G
fincut

Post by fincut »

Hey Grayman

I have a Star Fin that I use in a 10'0 noserider longboard. It's my favorite fin for that board. I also used the fin in some other boards so I have some exeperience under my feet with one so to say.

I really like the fin! It has more drive and acceleration than the standard fin. But it's greatest advantage is putting it on rail, it loves to go out on rail and just stick. I was amazed how vertical on rail I could get the board and still have it feel positive. Plus it gives the board a bit more acceleration on rail in roundhouses.

I think It would work well in your kneeboard.

This is one MAJOR disadvantage, and that's kelp. It's a kelp magnet and it gets stuck on the fin all the time. There's been countless times the board gets caught and I go flying in midair. Sorta fun sometimes and a good laugh.

The fin has a big base so looking at your box ( :shock:, :o ) it might be a bit small for it.

Give it a go,

I think you'll be stoked on your first bottom turn.
loonylen

Post by loonylen »

Thinking back to my teenage days riding skateboards, Cheyne was that rich kid wanker in the coke team that thought his s*&^ did'nt stink.......
Abusing every one in his close proximity ........ even little kids he was a spoiled brat back then

He is actually in the Forever Young music clip
Kev

Post by Kev »

loonylen wrote:... rich kid ... coke team that thought ........ even little kids he was a spoiled brat back then
mmm
you get that
:roll:
was he also so part of the Coke and Fanta YoYo team ??
just kidding
perhaps he has matured a little since then ... or since leaving the pro-circuit
one can hope
szrbloke

Cheyne...

Post by szrbloke »

I loved the fact he had so much sheer talent he could make those awful boards (not the McCoy early boards - Lazor Zap etc) part designed by his "guru" at the time Kerry Bindon, actually work and do well in contests.

If you can get hold of a copy of a good but sad surf movie "Scream in Blue" - the story of a year in Cheynes competative life when he was right out there. It's horrifyingly compelling viewing. One man against the system, his guru, other competitors, and it has to be said...himself.
all the best,

Scotty
cambo
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by cambo »

I rode a 6' single fin and and 8' single fin for several years in the late 80's and early 90's using the same fin and star fins rip. I took both boards to Wilks Pass in Fiji and had a ball. The star fins were loose and responsive yet hung in on hollow sections, I found I could position the fin further forward in the box than a normal fin before I started to slide out in hollow sections. don't know how they will work on a kneeboard but what have you got to loose except conformity
toofast3

Post by toofast3 »

I just recently bought 2 FCS 3Ds for my board (I usually ride a twin fin) and I love them. Now I’m looking to get 3 more. 2 for another board and a spare in case I want to ride one as a tri. I ended up getting the fins in different shops because no one carried more then one. They’re a little pricey and don’t sell a lot of them. Then first shop told me that they aren’t designed for the use I wanted them for because of the double foil. He said that are designed for a tri fin setup. I bought it anyway. The place I got the 2nd fin at, the guy said the same thing. But the owner over heard us talking and he came over and said, he was glad to see someone trying something different and to use it in a different way.
The first time I had them in the water, I didn’t like them. The fins are stiffer then I usually ride. I got frustrated because when I went to do a hard, “I” would turn and the board wouldn’t. The fins lasted about a 45 mins. In my board then I had to replace them. The next weekend, I put them back in and had an absolute blast with them!! I found that it was my positioning that was the problem. I moved back just a little and that made all the difference in the world. That day, the waves were a little steeper and the fins held great and when I went to do a hard turn, they held there too. What I did notice is that when I usually do a hard bottom turn, my board would slow down. Now, it feels like I accelerated out of the turn. That’s a plus for me. What I also found out is that when I want to slide my board, the fins allowed me to do that when “I” want to.
In my opinion, i`m sold. They held great when I needed them to and and they were loose when I wanted them to be. But then again, i`m not normal….
GRAYMAN

Post by GRAYMAN »

toofast3 wrote:I just recently bought 2 FCS 3Ds for my board (I usually ride a twin fin) and I love them. Now I’m looking to get 3 more. 2 for another board and a spare in case I want to ride one as a tri. I ended up getting the fins in different shops because no one carried more then one. They’re a little pricey and don’t sell a lot of them. Then first shop told me that they aren’t designed for the use I wanted them for because of the double foil. He said that are designed for a tri fin setup. I bought it anyway. The place I got the 2nd fin at, the guy said the same thing. But the owner over heard us talking and he came over and said, he was glad to see someone trying something different and to use it in a different way.
The first time I had them in the water, I didn’t like them. The fins are stiffer then I usually ride. I got frustrated because when I went to do a hard, “I” would turn and the board wouldn’t. The fins lasted about a 45 mins. In my board then I had to replace them. The next weekend, I put them back in and had an absolute blast with them!! I found that it was my positioning that was the problem. I moved back just a little and that made all the difference in the world. That day, the waves were a little steeper and the fins held great and when I went to do a hard turn, they held there too. What I did notice is that when I usually do a hard bottom turn, my board would slow down. Now, it feels like I accelerated out of the turn. That’s a plus for me. What I also found out is that when I want to slide my board, the fins allowed me to do that when “I” want to.
In my opinion, i`m sold. They held great when I needed them to and and they were loose when I wanted them to be. But then again, i`m not normal….
Did you notice any kinda lift? That's what I'm after to get the tail less bogged down.

(To be honest, the board's just under-sized but it's so sweet in hollow surf)

G