Cheyne Horan Starfin

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Cheyne Horan Starfin on a Friar Tuck 5'10" Tri...

Great idea, this is a definite goer and clearly the work of an aquanautical genius!
23%
This is the most stupid idea I've ever heard born of the mind of an imbicile.
29%
Dunno
49%

Total votes: 35

GRAYMAN
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by GRAYMAN »

Apologies for my late reply by the way, I seem to have mysteriously stoipped getting notifications on this!

:evil:

G
toofast3

Post by toofast3 »

No need to apologice... To tell you the truth, I don`t feel any lift. As a matter of fact, I don`t feel anything any of my fins do. My opinion is that they are designed for speed for maximum proformance. I don`t how the fins would give you enough lift to make you pearl. I pearl because I get aggressive, not because of the fins. I believe that they will give me extra hold as i`m haulling ass down a wave. Remember, this is my idea and i`m not the sharpest tack in the bunch.
Just to let you know also, I have the my 5-7 board and I don`t feel under sized..
GRAYMAN

Post by GRAYMAN »

toofast3 wrote:No need to apologice... To tell you the truth, I don`t feel any lift. As a matter of fact, I don`t feel anything any of my fins do. My opinion is that they are designed for speed for maximum proformance. I don`t how the fins would give you enough lift to make you pearl. I pearl because I get aggressive, not because of the fins. I believe that they will give me extra hold as i`m haulling ass down a wave. Remember, this is my idea and i`m not the sharpest tack in the bunch.
Just to let you know also, I have the my 5-7 board and I don`t feel under sized..
I've been pearling cause of putting my weight forward to compensate for the tail bogging. That's the key thing, the board's too small fo me cause I'm a fat b*stard! :idea:

The positive with my Parkes is that it's great for wedgy surf, drops straight in and holds well in the barrell. Rare condidtions but it's ace for them. My big fish out performs it everywhere except here... But it bogs. I'm tempeted to just get the Horan fin, try it as a single and see how it goes.

My only reservation is the cost including import cause you just don't find em in the UK.

G
toofast3

Post by toofast3 »

Are you talking shippment from the surfshop ?? I don`t know if it would be cheaper for a private person to send them, but I have a son that lives in England. Country Durham. I don`t know thats close to you or not.
GRAYMAN

Post by GRAYMAN »

toofast3 wrote:Are you talking shippment from the surfshop ?? I don`t know if it would be cheaper for a private person to send them, but I have a son that lives in England. Country Durham. I don`t know thats close to you or not.
Durham's miles from me unfortunately! I like your thinking though mate.

I'm awaiting a reply from an Aussie shop on postage as the Starfin costs £33 from ther ($65 US or so).

G
toofast3

Post by toofast3 »

Ok... let me know if it doesn`t work out.....Also, i`d like to know what you think of them once you get it..
GRAYMAN

Post by GRAYMAN »

toofast3 wrote:Ok... let me know if it doesn`t work out.....Also, i`d like to know what you think of them once you get it..
Will do fella.

Cheers

G
fincut
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by fincut »

You can get a Star Fin from Florida at http://www.solosurfer.com/solo/default.asp?idPage=698

I wrote Chenye and sent him $120 for two Star Fins and the chump never sent them, ran across him at swaylocks, he remebered me but still hasn't sent them.

Got fed up and bought one from the solosurfer site.

Give it a go
GRAYMAN

Post by GRAYMAN »

fincut wrote:You can get a Star Fin from Florida at http://www.solosurfer.com/solo/default.asp?idPage=698

I wrote Chenye and sent him $120 for two Star Fins and the chump never sent them, ran across him at swaylocks, he remebered me but still hasn't sent them.

Got fed up and bought one from the solosurfer site.

Give it a go
Really? What a dick! I've gotta say, his poor response ro emails worried me so I've gone to a site in Oz already. They only had red so I wish I'd gone there now! Ah wel...

When it arrives I will o course give feedback on here.

Cheers

G
GRAYMAN

Post by GRAYMAN »

Got it...

Doesn't fit!!! :evil:

Anyone wanna buy a Starfin? Goes on ebay UK tomorrow night.

I'm gonna go with FCS MR-TFX sides and a 3D in the middle.
Beeline2.0
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRAYMAN

Post by GRAYMAN »

Beeline2.0 wrote:the starfin doesnt fit in what?
In my fin box.

See my initial post.

G
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRAYMAN

Post by GRAYMAN »

Beeline2.0 wrote:well assuming the fin tab is too big for your fin box slot, you can take a grinding wheel to the tab and make it fit.
I've been doing alot of this lately.
Yeah. I did think of that. The thing is, it's too long to the point that I wouldn't really have room to drill a new hole for the screw meaning I'd have to also remove a chunk of the trailing edge to make room.

Given the fact that I have no idea if the set up will even work added to being stung with a 17 GBP import tax bill upon it's arrival when Christmas is only just around the corner and I've yet to get my mits on Inside & Out, I thought it best to cut my loses and to try to recoup some cash!

Shame though' would've been interesting.

G

PS I've kinda come to the conclusion I want the Parkes for 4-6 foot points/reefs where my fish can be a bit difficult to get up on the rail. The starfin is marketed as being for sloppy surf but my fish flies in that sort of stuff.
GRAYMAN

Post by GRAYMAN »

Just to re-kindle the funny-fin topic:

http://kerakraft.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1215110562

G