Cheyne Horan Starfin

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Cheyne Horan Starfin on a Friar Tuck 5'10" Tri...

Great idea, this is a definite goer and clearly the work of an aquanautical genius!
23%
This is the most stupid idea I've ever heard born of the mind of an imbicile.
29%
Dunno
49%

Total votes: 35

szrbloke
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by szrbloke »

Hows it doing Gray??? Just to mention a few years I was at the British nationals at Fistral? and there was a pretty good kneelo out to the left of the contest site. I thought he was warming up for the main event. Turned out he was a South African bloke, nice guy, and rode a 3 finned board, 1 huge fin in a similar postion to one of PCs slabs, and 2 tiny fins in line with it near the rail. HE could make it move. Interesting board all up...sort of a modern throw back. :)
all the best,

Scotty
GRAYMAN

Post by GRAYMAN »

Yeah it flies. I'mnot the greatest so I'd be interested to see this set-up in the hands of one of the top fellas.

Had to resin/screw a Lokbox/FCS convertor to the fin. The one pictured on the UK site actually came out on a duckdive on a shallow reef break! Didn't realize til I ws riding twinny on a thick lipped back breaker!!!

On the differing sizes thing, I'm looking at a Parkes 5 fin mush-fish at the mo with a boxed middle. I'd love to have a crack with that with abig middle and a couple of sets of sidebites or even kite-surf skegs.

G
mFox
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by mFox »

A nice fin to try is the "Sunny Garcia" FCS fin. The centre is the same size as the rail fins and they've heaps!! of area combined. Gives a lot of drive without tightening things up too much. I used to ride AM rail fins with a G5 or G7 centre, the "Sonny's" are way better.
I've tried the "Star Fin" with Cheyne (grew up n surfed together) many years ago and found that they tend too much towards the pivot and not drive long. They also did not start working until you got a bit of speed up. Foot boarders have the advantage of being able to pump straight away to get around this.

good luck
Fox
RMcKnee
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by RMcKnee »

Last edited by RMcKnee on Thu May 28, 2009 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
mFox

Post by mFox »

Ohhh Yeah!!!!
Fox
loonylen

Post by loonylen »

He's still a wanker :wink:
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Last edited by RMcKnee on Thu May 28, 2009 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
mFox

Post by mFox »

Oh so true RM!! Hah!!! it sucked even more when it was your lady who was drooling on the beach for him :-)) It was not an easy thing for him when he moved over from Bronte, we were a bunch of ratbags to him :-). Still........ talent is talent and he had bags of it. Still and all he did his own thing in his own way so hats off for that. It was unfortunate that he did the whacko move up north to doing the commune thing, almost "bent" him way out of shape. Glad he got his head back closer to earth.
Still..... he may be a wanker to some but, that probably applies to some of us too. Can't keep the masses happy all the time.

"FINCUT"
Re the fin purchase you'll probably find that he has some ratbag supposedly handling the business end of things and enjoying sitting on his hands (and your $$$$). Cheyne had a gift for trusting people you would not trust with your dogs water bowl.....
Still I'd give him a bit of stick to get him to kick. You may end up with a couple a extra fins to sell ;-)
Fox
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Last edited by RMcKnee on Thu May 28, 2009 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
TC

Post by TC »

During the 80’s I was a single fin holdout working at Heritage Surf and Sport on the east coast. I had the star fin setup on a standup board. Over all it worked very well, it held in large overhead surf, was fast down the line and had an outstanding pivot turn off the top but after I rode my first thruster I put my star fin board on the sale rack that afternoon and picked up a new thruster that day. The turning on the thruster felt effortless and it seemed as if the board was connected directly to my nervous system and the speed you could create on small surf was incredible. I still like single fins on longbaords but give me a multi fin set up on short boards any day, especially on a kneeboard (currently riding a 5’8” Freeline quad fish). Good luck though with your endeavored, experimentation is what makes this life interesting. Cheers TC
ted torrey

Post by ted torrey »

have you tried it yet?
GRAYMAN

Post by GRAYMAN »

ted torrey wrote:have you tried it yet?
No!

I actually sold the Parkes it was going on. I am using a 3d foil though:

I thought it's be stiff but works a treat. Lots of drive and lift but not too much lift. You really notice it getting around sections. Just keeps on going!

G
Last edited by GRAYMAN on Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
womble

Post by womble »

Greyman,

Nice looking board...very nice.
Give us some specs on it.......please.

Is that the new FCS system..... :?:
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand.
While imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

Albert Einstein ... Yeah Bert.
GRAYMAN

Post by GRAYMAN »

womble wrote: Give us some specs on it.......please.

That's Lokbox. The 3D Red Tip is an FCS fin though so I glassed and screwed it into a Lokbox convertor. (essential cause the convertors "clip on/off" design is weak and I already lost one of these fins). Obviously, that means the Red Tip is now a fully fledged permenant Lokbox now.

Side fins are about 5 3/4" depth x 4 1/2". That's a guess mind! Not sure about the FCS. I'll look it up in a bit but I have to help move a sofa!

The board is 6' x 23 1/4" x 2 5/8".

The deck's domed giving float and strength through the stringer whilst allowing finer rails.

As you can see it's a swallow with doub;e wings and lots of rocker. Bottom is concave into V.

I love it. Shaped by Bro Diplock who is an absolute freakin legend!

G
Last edited by GRAYMAN on Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
womble

Post by womble »

My bad.

Thanks........

Next time you come out to OZ, bring it with you.....I don't mind looking after it for you... :lol:

I won't even charge a storage fee... :roll:
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand.
While imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

Albert Einstein ... Yeah Bert.