FLASHPOINT

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

hart
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by hart »

Harry wrote:
Did someone mention foil a while ago.... that it was active and not passive?

Is it, in your opinion, active on its own?

Or only with the application of a rider's, shall we say, directed "active" input?
Umm

I guess in that sense, its passive.

For example, squeeze a water melon seed between your fingers. If you squeeze the thinner end then the water melon seed will fly from your fingers at a great speed. If you squeeze the thicker side, it will still fly, but slightly less distance.

But hold it in the palm of your hand, and it does nothing.
Standup riders have it all over us in an active sense. So do skateboarders.

When you skate, you can have two totally passive elements (like the skateboard in your hand AND natural ground which we will assume is level) and yet you can generate forward propulsion depending on what you can do with your body..and body alone. 1 element out of 3.

So too can standups..but they get the added bonus of a moving wave..easier again. 2 out of 3 (body + wave)

Kneeriders however, to me are more one 'solid' mass that is relatively concentrated in the one (static) place. No room for acrobatics to generate activity. 1 out of 3 (but this time its the wave)

Totally different to the other two.

Meaning that we may well rely more on our equipment than others do, because we only have one element of actual forward momentum..and it is something over which, we have the least control.

It is up to our equipment therefore, to enable greater utilisation of the dynamics of a wave so that our momentum is optimised.

so

If wave + mass = movement

maybe

wave + mass + foil (can) = more

hart

besides, a lump of uranium doesn't do much when its left in the ground huh?

:D
Harry
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Harry »

Well said Bruce Hart. :idea:
Headwax
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Headwax »

there we go Hart.
this was here on this thread and then it wasn't and now it is.

PPM me if this slows you down. and it will be removed.
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

I rode my new Flashpoint for the first time today. It's a 5'10" choptail thruster. The waves were chest high mostly windswell with a fading groundswell underneath, enough to make it interesting.
Bruce, ya did it again! The board rode exeedingly well, fast with sharp turning ablility and overall FUN! I can't wait to get it out on some cleaner conditions.
dorjeseahorse

Post by dorjeseahorse »

choptail :?:
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

think of a round pin, then chop it off about 4-6" up.
hart

florida shortboard

Post by hart »

Eric

Glad you like the newy..you'll have to keep me posted, mate
dorjeseahorse wrote:
choptail :?:
A chopped squaretail has a distinct straightedge as a pod..whereas a rounded square is just that..a predominately rounded shape, but one that is nonetheless 'square'

The straight measures about 4" or so wide and is hardblocked to make sure it stays accurate throughout the hand-shaping process

I chose a choppedsquare purely for the Florida conditions that the board will experience and for its contemporary shortboard appearance

:D

As custom as I can do a stock kneeboard

hart
Jeff
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Jeff »

Hey Bruce

Hows it going hopefully good well I've riden the board know for a while and I just got to tell you I love it,well you know that already :D. One thing I think next time lets pull the tail in just alittle. Thanks Bruce a million.

Stay low and get Deeper
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

I know greg roundtree, northern beaches son..not to sure if he still lives at Narrabeen or not. After a sydney pro comp years ago he kindly donated his house for the after party/presso....very keen :shock:

a nice guy
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
hart

after party

Post by hart »

Now Steen..

You may remember that you and I were sitting next to each other on Rowntree's living-room floor for the presentation..I wasn't sure who (this young kid..namely YOU) sitting at my left shoulder, was

For the contest, I had given a custom newy for the winner of the trials (amateurs)

The winners were called..and you (of course) stood up..

Steen Barnes, 1st Place Trials

"What a fu%#*d place to sit" I blurted to myself (very audibly)..not knowing what I was saying aloud

:P

Thankfully..there was no-one who didn't laugh (including you) cause it came straight from the hip..the timing diffused the brashness (thankfully)

I was stoked with the result and looked forward to the task at hand and the start of many years of solid friendship resulted (c 1990?)

:)

hart

ps

I surfed a Final that day too and came home behind Pino (Damien Coase, World Masters Champ a few years later) and the smurf (Open Finalist only last year?)

Good time to retire don't you think :?:

3rd Masters Sydney Proam

(cause before that, I only ever drew Parkesy, Albert and (both) Smiths in my heats..sometimes all at once, huh!)

..and Nov was just about to have another birthday

:!:

:D :(

thx hwax for the theme
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

Now Bruce....

I remember this comp also, i have some surfing pics from it. Saturday at South Narrabeen, Sunday at Warriewood. Then back to roundtree's. The Narra(i should say north side boys) boys always put on a good comp.

I had been competing on the Australian Circiut since 1980,and to be honest, by 91 (it was) i felt like a bit of a veteran :lol: of the circuit. Now I am a veteran :lol: I remember beating Nov at snapper rocks at 4ft clean, and grinning my head off, i am still ha. Surfing from snapper to little marley. Try and do that with a kneelo comp today....no chance.

As you, I think that it may have been the first time I had ever met you, I had not heard of you before this point. That changed when you gave me that freshie, and your right, a good friendship was forged. Thanks :wink:

I also remember surfing against Gav Coleman in his first ever comp, it was a club comp (Southside Kneeriders), the legend...Scottie Cut Price Smokes :lol: Lawton, would drag Gav down to all the comps, and warn us all lol. It was also the first time I had surfed for a club comp. I am sure this was at Stanwell Park. I think it was around 85. Anyway, I am rambling after a coupla beers. :roll:

I also remember Andrew Smith doing an aerial barrel roll at the state titles in 83, blew me away, also have old pics from these....not surfing pics.

I have so many good memories that I could write, and good friends from being a kneelo.........i would not change anyof it.

:) :wink:

dad
coach
godfather
red

Post by red »

Steen wrote
Now I am a veteran
Naa - you're still a whippersnapper
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

veteran of the circuit :wink:

I just remembered......Gav sleeping under my car, at snapper car park :lol: bumping his head all night :lol:

dad
coach
godfather
jdkneelo

Post by jdkneelo »

Hey steen i,ve bumped my head in the snapper carpark also, but it,s had nothing to do with sleeping under cars or surfing for that matter, i blame the dreaded buckets at the surfy.