new to kneeboarding

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

hansel
Local (More than 25 post)

new to kneeboarding

Post by hansel »

hey guys, im new to knee boarding (came from surfing and body boarding) and have shaped about 6 surfboards, and wanted to build a knee board to get into it, from the videos on you tube, here on long island everybody looks down upon you if you don't surf. (body borders, skim boarders, body surfers, and so on..) ive been looking online and it seems the only place to get one is from Australia, or so ive seen, ive herds you can get a fish blank and make it as long as it is wide enough, ive seen this site www.parkesaustralia.com and they have agreed to sell me a blank, and was wondering if you have any shaping tips, and guidelines for me. cheers!

Colin-
surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by surfhorn »

There are options in the USA before you need to go overseas. Several KSUSA members lurk on the East Coast and can be a valuable source on information.....they even seem to be nice guys. lol
kbing since plywood days
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

PM Red

Red, him fella what got good brains and will share what he knows

- for design and size tips best to post your weight and height here and the waves you want to ride and your experience ..... and you should get some good "tips"

though they will only be the "tips" of the iceberg

good luck
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Your correct, Smells. Although I've been having fun on my 6'0", my new board will be a thin 5'8", the size I dialed in years ago, that gave me eveything I needed, especially the 'pocket rocket' feeling. Its aslo the max length that I can kick into a wave without using arm strokes.
kbing since plywood days
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I did see your board. I'm usually drawn to walk around the shop and check out what KBs are in. I make the excuse that I'm visiting my son (who works there) but I'm really there to drool on the KBs!

Labor Day was the last day that I surfed waves that had good push. This past Sunday had some fun take-off-and-tuck-in waves but nothing to write home about. I think Saturday morning had some waves but I was on another program so not in the water.

Water temp is nice (for us, that is). It took me a while to get back in the swing of things after spending 2 weeks on Catalina and water in the mid 70's. Right now wearing my 4/3 without booties is the call. Anything more would be too warm. I wear a cap to protect my ears but have to pull it down when I'm sitting so I can dump some heat.
kbing since plywood days
skansand

Post by skansand »

hey hansel,

ive been riding kneeboards for bout 4 years now and even shaped a couple.... i definetly agree that you gotta ride what works for YOU!!

i was on 5'8 single/5'3 twin fin fishes for my first couple years, then got a 6'2 freeline quad... none of these boards worked for me...

then i bought a 6'1 shoelkopf (fins-forward quad) and a 6'1 flashoint(fins-forward tri)......my skills on a kneeboard doubled overnight...

no, i didnt start riding like barry baker or simon farrer, but ive NEVER seen ANYONE ride like them....they are, afterall, the BEST.. and they ride fins-forward designs with extra length...with single -double concaves with vee in the nose and tail..

...theres my 2 cents

why dont you tell us your weight and what your currently riding and we can start throwing in our oppinions for a board for you...

...oh and by the way...im 230 ibs and feel my 6'1 is still too small...

...edit....shaping tips?...ya that was the question...

move the vee up in relation to the fins.....,(if you decide on an aussie style board)

keep a sharp edge going in the tail to a couple inches ahead of the side fins....

keep the vee/concaves mellow for the small waves you surf most of the time...

maybe a good rocker would be 4 1/2" - 5" nose and 1 3/4 tail....round pin?
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
jimithesaint

size -- technique?

Post by jimithesaint »

I am really new to KBing, so I apologize for what may be a silly ?
Touching on what some of the others have mentioned, I was wondering what length KB guys around 5'7 - 5'9" tall find to be the best for kicking into waves? Maybe 5'6"

I am 5'8" and riding a 6'0" I find that I really can't get into a position to catch waves using my fins(flippers) and arm paddling also.

Any thoughts ?
Jim
loonylen

Post by loonylen »

I think you really should have a fins forward Aussie style kneeboard in your quiver Ive riden a U.S. style fins back romonovski and found it hard to turn,designed for "down the line tuck in pocket rocket " waves like the wedge. I'm not saying this is a bad design but the Aussie fins forward boards are more versatile, and a lot of fun too....as for length of board I'm 5'8" and ride a 5'8" x 23"x 2 7/8", I'm looking at a Flashpoint 5'10" with a bit less volume Bruce is shaping for me, I weigh 85-90 kg's and he assures me it will be perfect for my hight and weight. as for shape and fins(quad or tri) you will get all sorts of opinions here i'll leave that for you sort out.
good luck
skansand

Re: hey ska

Post by skansand »

smells wrote:hey ska,

i've seen you surf...i was pretty sure, by what i saw, that if you woulda got off your board it probably woulda just stayed there and bobbed around. guess YOU really made the board look good with your "skills that doubled over night."
ya, i suppose if i got off my board it would float there... :? ..until a wave came and washed it in....thanks for compliments :wink: ..

i remember that day...small and mushy ...was i riding the paipo or my flashpoint?.maybe both?.. well, i remember seeing you surf too!!...seems you were struggling with the mitzven?(spell check) fish....

im stoked to hear you got a proper kneeboard now...maybe next time im in oceanside we can trade for a couple waves and compare notes :?:
skansand

Post by skansand »

verry cool smells...i really like your label...soulshine, thats catchy... hopefully by then ill have my latest kneelo glassed ....its a 5'8 X22" X 2 1/8" stealth-tail quad fish with double bumps and stringerless tail....its for my little brother who helped with the shaping...im sure it'll float in your range...
hansel

Post by hansel »

hey guys, im 6"2' 150 pounds, a little on the light side :lol: i might be getting a blank overseas if worst comes to worst. or i might get a fish blank. anybody have any ideas. this is the site i was looking at posted at the bottom
and i need some tips on overall shape of the board, nose, tail, fin placement, and are the rails like a surfboard or a bodyboard? i surf in probably 3 foot waves, and when a storm hits it can go up to about 9 foot. thanks alot for the comments!

Colin

havin a little trouble with the url button so here is the site

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:bA ... =firefox-a
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willli
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by willli »

James612
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by James612 »

Hi Hansel.
As far as specs and dimensions for kneeboards go, this site will have most of the information you need. As for actual shaping techniques, tools and methods etc. go to www.swaylocks.com. This site will have everything you need to know about how to shape a board. I have shaped a few boards for myself and others, with very basic and minimal tools with only the information found on swaylocks. Like others have said I would check around for a local blank manufacturer. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers

James