board size

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

monkey boy
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

board size

Post by monkey boy »

what's the biggest board people ride e.g. cold water, lots of rubber, small take off zone, get in early, lots of wankers (drop ins, snaking around paddling), fins/no-fins ??
stemple
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by stemple »

I will consistently ride either 6' or a 6'3" at OB most of the winter. 6'2" 210 lbs. Not that many wankers though, they usually can't make it out.
albert

Post by albert »

I suggest somewhere between 4'10" and 8'2"
Beeline2.0

Re: board size

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toofast3
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by toofast3 »

Hey Albert !!!. I still ride a 4-9 from time to time :D :D
kidrock

Re: board size

Post by kidrock »

monkey boy wrote:what's the biggest board people ride e.g. cold water, lots of rubber, small take off zone, get in early, lots of wankers (drop ins, snaking around paddling), fins/no-fins ??
Sounds like a description of Deadman's :?
jim richardson

Post by jim richardson »

Albert is right but I might have started at 4'5"
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

I have boards from 5'10" to 6'6". Now recently I ride 6'4" to 6'6" with only one (1) leg I need all the paddle power I can get!
jdkneelo

Post by jdkneelo »

I,m 6ft 95kilos i ride a 6'2 for average days. For the solid days the 6'4 comes out both flashpoints of course
Andy
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Andy »

My boy wants to follow in dads footsteps, and I would love to wean him off his boogieboard - he's 9 years old, about 1.45m and just over 40kg's & growing fast !I cut a board for him out of one of my old boards, its 5'0" x 20.5". Nice thing is its already got more or less the rocker, rails, tail lift etc etc. As he's about 1/2 my weight, should I follow the "Rule of Prof/Dr Red" and aim for a board volume of 20 litres?. Just eyeballing the thing it seems thats goint to result in a too thin board. Also he should have a board thats bouyant enough to paddle easily plus he's only going to get taller/heavier.
Any thoughts on the thickness/volume ?
albert

Post by albert »

I am about 68kgs and 5'4", I have some small boards in the 5'6" x 22 5/8" x 2 3/8" range but I think they may be still too big for him.

I only just got a new one but I am willing to part with it for the right price.

Let me know if you are interested.
red

Post by red »

Andy,

Volume's non-linear
I guess it takes a certain amount of foam just to overcome the weight of the board itself.
I could take a stab and say 5-10liters
Then add the buoyancy. I guess you'd come out at 25-30liters.

PS my shaper adviser thinks I should be surfing 30-35liters volume - I think he has more faith in my paddling ability than me! I've got a low volume one coming. It looks filth! Now I just have to catch waves on it.

PPS I think that the width makes these kneeboard things hell to paddle - that's why we like (20% ?) more volume in our kneeboards than our surfboards (and possibly more length). Maybe we're just old farts?
Stanley

Post by Stanley »

I i dont know much about board leter mesurements but I do know if your not catching waves your not having fun...

No matter what you weigh you have to add in your fitness factor.

Im 5ft8 and 83kg most of my boards are 2and7/8th thick from my 5ft/6 kneeboard to my 6ft/5.

My shaper Andrew Stump rolls them nicely so they feel and react like thinner boards but paddle me well enoughf that I can take on any crowd and get my fair share of waves = having lots of fun :lol:

Red Im stocked to hear you're getting a thinner board. Thankyou for allowing me to have more of your waves. :D

The avrage size waves I surf are in the solid 6ft range and I tend to surf my 6/0 kneeboard. When it starts to get bigger than that I surf my 6ft/5 I mainly surf places that are sand and reef with small take off areas and do get quite crowded with the odd angrey aggressive standup surfer in the water .

I just smile at them and catch there waves too..
Andy

Post by Andy »

Aha :idea: Board volume is not necessarily linearly proportional to body mass! Have to chew a bit on that one.

Interestingly I found out that how a board paddles is not only a question of volume. My previous board, I tried to maximise the rocker up near the nose, and it paddled like a VERY BAD WORD. My next one, I kept overall much the same, even thinner, and concentrated heavily on easier entry rocker - It paddles much better !

cheers

Andy
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Andy - You're correct that you don't need that much rocker in the nose of a KB the way a standup board does. Also your son's 5'0" won't need that much thickness if he uses kciking as the primary means of picking up waves.

He can try and arm paddle but if its causing him troubles (which I doubt since kids are an unending ball of energy) he can try the old school method: push the board in front of himself with arms fully extended. Its a style I've used for around 40 years and its an easy way to drop in late.
kbing since plywood days