What's The Drift

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Eric Carson
Legend (Contribution King!)

What's The Drift

Post by Eric Carson »

I keep seeing Drift boards getting pushed to the max by their riders so I'd like to know more about them.
Thanks for any info on them.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Remember, if it was the object instead of the person responsible, then we would all be writing better than Hemingway because we all have computers instead of typewriters. :wink:

I know what your saying Eric, I just had to add a wisecrack :lol:
Actually people say that all the time to photographers :?
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
K-man

Post by K-man »

I asked a few pertinentquestions about the fin setup,didn't get much of an answer.I just stuff'em up mate!Too much analyzing,get headaches.... :roll: ....... :lol: Aussies go figure! Maybe it's ''man''opause?
Nice looking shapes,And a different approach with fin size,fin angle.Waka deals with him on a daily level.But He's probably busy taking care of the hair,or working in the man barn,no time for this dribble..... :lol:

cheers

PS-when ya get waves ''that good''...I'm sure Many riders from here ,surfing their'' favorite stick'' would do justice.... :wink:
john -

Post by john - »

id say Slats works on "a picture says one thousand words" sorta communication

id also say writers on typewriters think deeper and had more time than desk top writers...the computer world has (seemingly) robbed kids of their immagination, to an extent, so perhaps the elders too!

goodness for jkr! no tv or computers at Hogwarts...magic yes!
merely labled
Bumps
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Bumps »

:oops:
Last edited by Bumps on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Your site has been suspended for suspicious activity or complaints'.
Bumps

Post by Bumps »

K-man,

tut tut!

I think you'll find pictures posted by the hairman from his man barn (do I detect a bit of Hair and Man barn envy?), showing the position of the fins on thumper and his newy.

As for Rob's unique positioning of his fins, they are different. He does adjust the toe in, camber and position according to how the individual rides his boards.

My board has the the fins glassed in, FCS plugs don't work with Rob's set up.

His fins are very different. It's difficult to make out from the side photo's of his boards due to camber and toe in. However, hairman aka the waka has also posted a photo of Rob's fin next to an FCS fin.

I've got one and it's one of the sweetest boards I've ever had. Paddles well, gets into the wave easily, accelerates and turns just beautifully. It's made for waves with some push, it comes into its own on a reef break. You can just feel it shift into higher gears.

My second drift is on it's way, to be picked up early December after I get back from a business trip to the states .

I believe you have a flashpoint or two. Little bit hard to compare then, bottoms and rockers are different and thus ride differently.

I'm very interested in Bruces new quads, any feedback?

Garry
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

Hey Garry,
i picked up a 6'2" quad from Bruce and it went really well at Oz Pipe. i have'nt got a chance to put it through it's paces at the spot it was designed for yet but the way Bruce flows volume through his boards is insane. the 5'10" rounded pin tri (seafoam green!) is now pretty much neck and neck as one of my fav boards. i have that and a 6' F2K waiting in day bags to grab. i'd say the F2K is better for the slab type stuff and the thruster turns better. both boards are prime examples of different styles.
i got to ride one of Adam's boards at a thumping beachbreak and i was amazed at how easily it slid into waves and rode in the barrel. Rob plays it pretty close to the vest i think :lol: he obviously knows quite a bit on how a kneeboard goes 8) but if he was always mowing foam he could'nt lounge down at Wrecky nearly as much. gotta have prioritys. 8) :lol:
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
K-man

Post by K-man »

Mines's quite a bit different from the quad norm.5'8''x23-1/4. 9'' swallow.about 18+ in the tail,fairly deep concaves.rolled deck-no shoulder.
Feels good in the water,really haven't had any size to be able to push it.
Quality all the way,nice to look at... :) no doubt it'll go really well.

cheers
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waka

Post by waka »

I think K-Man hit the nail on the head about.....PS-when ya get waves ''that good''...I'm sure Many riders from here ,surfing their'' favorite stick'' would do justice....
Very true....and i have had the pleasure of seeing Brad, Mike Kennedy and recently Barry surf some of my local waves!As i have also with Simon and Albert on a regular basis! 8)
The fins ( and this is my opinion only) makes a huge difference, the surf down here , especially the reef breaks, are powerful....so having larger fins....the more drive you get...plenty of bite! FCS boxes dont like the larger fins....way too much pressure....thats why the fixed fin setup is better, and also the camber of the fins can be leaned over more .
I can only speak for myself :wink: ....Chanye and Troy are on another level altogether 8)
One thing i would like to add is that Bob (slats) is a true board maker.....from shapeing your board, glassing, art work , fins etc...he does everything....no luxury of a contract glasser, no shaping machines :!: all done in the back shed 8) and a man still has to fit in surfs during the day :wink:
My boards have no dimensions written on them...apart from FBI written in pen on the stringer :P Go figuire!
He can get a bit 'ornery' from time to time , but i can safely write this as he is up in Qld's for his daughters wedding , and wont get to read this!
ps this is only a drifters opinion :wink: Leave my hair stylist out of it :lol:
FBI
Just call me 'Poppy'
Wandandian Devil
Bumps

Post by Bumps »

C'mon Waka,

It's all about the HAIR! (and the man barn) Hehehehe :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
K-man

Post by K-man »

Good post adam.. :) The surfing is on another level... :shock:And the boards are a testament to quality crafsmanship.

''He can get a bit 'ornery' from time to time ''... :lol: I know!A few of my talented friends are a bit ''tweaky''and they pay the price.. :lol: [with humor]

FBI?...foreign born italian?

He's gone for a few days?The sambo's are happy-yeah.? :lol: The cats aren't... :cry:

cheers!
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

FBI on the stringer
how cool 8) :lol:
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head