Knee Stance Effects on Board Width/Designs?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Nov
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Nov »

Left knee foward here. My boards are usually 23 1/2" wide, though my big wave boards are 22".
K-man
Legend (Contribution King!)

board widths

Post by K-man »

My imagination,or does it seem board widths are getting narrower?Seems american builders are staying around 22-1/2 ''generally''Across the pond boards are running around 23-1/2 ''generally''
So..if ya got a wide knee stance,then a wider board makes sense for a stable platform.Where I'm going here is:If you surf with knees closer together,then a wider board may be a hindrance.And with a .narrower stance,it may be mo bettah to go narrower.Talking about allrounder boards,not boards for the bombie.
My boards are running 23-1/4....23-1/2 and I do have a narrower stance.Not seeking advice,just curious what others are doing.

cheers
Kev

Re: board widths

Post by Kev »

K-man wrote: ... then a wider board may be a hindrance....
My boards are running 23-1/4....23-1/2 and I do have a narrower stance.Not seeking advice,just curious what others are doing.
Hindrance is a strong word as it could be that a little adjustment might get you there.
I was having troubles at times and it seemed to co-incide with a larger wave and a heavier drop.
Stan noticed that when the drop was deep I would rush the later part of my take-off and bring the knees closer to gether and land further forward on the board.
He said " Surf like a slut " ... " Get those knees apart "
I try to tell myself this often as a set comes in and my bottom turns have much more projection as I get more rail in the water.

I still land forward some times but the wider stance is a must on the wider board.

IF you find you son't like the wider stance and it is uncomfortable - then a narrower board might be what you want.
K-man

Post by K-man »

KEV WROTE...Hindrance is a strong word as it could be that a little adjustment might get you there
No, hindrance is not a strong word.Wide board narrow stance makes it more difficult for rail transfer,trust me I know... :wink:

KEV=IF you find you don't like the wider stance and it is uncomfortable - then a narrower board might be what you want.????pretty much what I was saying..yeah.... :lol:

Read the post again.. :) I was asking if anyone else came to the same conclusions,and if in fact boards were going narrower around the globe.

cheers
Kev

Post by Kev »

Although I quoted you it wasn't directed at you so I guess I should have been clearer

you said you were not seeking advice but looking for what others were doing

so I answered with the advice given to me by Stan and that was to keep telling myself to " Surf like a slut " ... " Get those knees apart "
and this is what I am doing and mostly with success

sorry I shouldn't have said you ... it was more a royal you directed at anyone on a wide board that just can't get comfortable and this would be the hint that you ... the royal you ... just might need to swap board for the narrower varieties

As for whether boards are getting narrower ?
can't say as most guys I see around here have their widths set
and I don't see them changing
except for perhaps Red who does like 'em narrow and he seems to be making them thinner
KenM

Post by KenM »

I've been going progressively wider over the last few years 23, 23+1/4, last Pavel I got is 23+1/2. It's perfect.
K-man

Post by K-man »

Kev, I have a tendency to get ropey,when I get advice I don't need...I shouldn't take it so seriously... :lol: No biggy....Good point about red.Do remember his posts about narrower board.See if I can find that thread in the index
Ken?Wider boards in direct proportion to weight gain..... :lol: JOKE......I know I'm evil personified... :lol:

cheers
Kev

Re: post

Post by Kev »

K-man wrote:Ken?Wider boards in direct proportion to weight gain..... :lol:
:wink:
there might be a few of us that fall into that category

as for the Red posts ... they could be over at swaylocks
I can't find anything that directly relates either ... yet
KenM