Knee Stance Effects on Board Width/Designs?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Casey Patelski
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Knee Stance Effects on Board Width/Designs?

Post by Casey Patelski »

Hart, et all. Is there any consideration to board shape and width for a KB with a stance that is one knee slightly forward and angled (like a front side/back side preference) vs a KB stance of both knees horizontal across the deck - left to right?

Likin' what I'm reading about Flash Point design.

Thanks in advance- Casey in Costa Mesa, CA
COVE PADS,KneeloLab 6-0PoisonDart DeanCleary 3x Cncav Roundtail 5Fin, 6-0 PoisonDart Infinity 3x Cncav Pintail 3 Fin, Blast 5-9StubVector Swallow Quad, 5-9Vartanian Poison Dart 3x Cncav PinTail 3fin, 6-0Flashpoint DoubleBump Swallow & 5-10 WingPin 3fins.
Jon Manss
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Jon Manss »

Hi Casie I have a regular knee stance, Left knee ahead of right knee, but I don't think it would matter if I was goofy or regular. The main difference we experience over stand up surfing is our lower center of gravity and our lack or lateral leg movement stand ups have. This is compensated with our fin position and slightly wider boards. I know some one will have a different opinion, but that's my 2 cents worth. Oh, surf was killer here this afternoon, and finally a good session for me. Jon
K-man

Post by K-man »

Same here,right knee forward.Boards are mostly 23-1/2 wide,mostly standard shapes[eggs]no problems.Plenty of good boards out there.Gonna have 2 clean flashies for sale,doing an upgrade.

Chunky and junky,rain-south winds[onshore]May run a bit north where the SE's are OS,may be too big.... :shock:

cheers
Bill E.

Post by Bill E. »

Hey K-Man tell me about the two clean flashies you are thinkin of sellin and give me some pics and the info.

My knee imprints are always right knee forward, but I usually ride lefts!!
Cars come and go, VW's live and breathe

Surfers come and go, Kneeboarders live and breed
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

Mine are even kneeprint and boards are 21 3/4 wide
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
red

Post by red »

I'm working on a 22" wide design. I'll flatten the deck to stop knees "sliding down the slope" to the rail (knees 14" apart) but won't let it interfere with the rail foiling.

I also build up pads to level them a bit when there is a lot of deck roll.

Knee forward/back - no ideas.
Red
DYdamo

Post by DYdamo »

Hey Casey,

My stance is way out of whack,one knee is at least 4 inchs adhead of the other (grew up surfing a right hand point break)(see avatar)
Anyway bruce has given me an asymetrical Board to ride (I'll leave the dimensions to him)and all I can say after two surfs on it is I think I'll be ordering a new one in the new year................It suits my style of surfing to a tee,I can't wait to surf it more and Bruce isn't getting it back........
(till I get my new one)..
I'll try to post a pic of it in the next 24-48 hours........hope this is what you were asking about..........Merry xmas Damo
Last edited by DYdamo on Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm interested in apathy
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rick mottola

Post by rick mottola »

i've been thinking about this one. mind you i do not design or build boards, but....

i don't think it matters much where your knees are placed because most of your weight and power should be transfered through your shins and feet.

good luck with your board.
Casey Patelski

MORE ON STANCE VS BOARD WIDTH

Post by Casey Patelski »

Good answers. Some riders are touchy with this subject and how the board will respond to your stance vs the sweet spot on the board.
I looked closely at some FP rider photos and some are staggered stances with nice manuvers, some side by side with good moves. So I think it is preference and talent and the ability to re-train your position a bit when you get a new board. Me, going from a 22" wide to a 23.5" will take a short bit of adjusting and then let er' rip!
COVE PADS,KneeloLab 6-0PoisonDart DeanCleary 3x Cncav Roundtail 5Fin, 6-0 PoisonDart Infinity 3x Cncav Pintail 3 Fin, Blast 5-9StubVector Swallow Quad, 5-9Vartanian Poison Dart 3x Cncav PinTail 3fin, 6-0Flashpoint DoubleBump Swallow & 5-10 WingPin 3fins.
DYdamo

Post by DYdamo »

Pic in Board section
I'm interested in apathy
Doc Turbo

Kneewells -- Stance

Post by Doc Turbo »

I have been riding boards with kneewells in them for 20+ years, and only recently switched over to a Blast Board without kneewells. The kneewells were only added to the board after riding for a few weeks, and finding the sweet spot on the board. Then the well is gouged out, glassed, and padded. Riding with no wetsuit even, never had any extra problem on the knees on impacting the edges or anything.

Plus points for me, extremely positive positioning on the board, excellent grip whilst turning and maybe only pyschological, but seems the lower center of gravity helps.

The boards are not full spoons, but they are thin..... I know it looks weird, sounds strange, but it works, very well, for me

Post by Ler »

I only order boards from James V., he is a costa mesa bro.

Ler
gumby

Post by gumby »

Casey

You are changing Mfg. or are you thinking of telling Ron how to shape your board? :lol:

I find that my lead knee is the opposite of the direction I am going. I guess I ride front side. As I have changed shapers and gone wider I have had to adjust widen my stance. My 23" wide flying triangle really changed how I surf.

Craig
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig