I was wrong but now ?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

matt cunningham
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Board

Post by matt cunningham »

Barry,

Are those Eric's boards you are riding at 3 inches?
I want a second board for Bali and would like one of his rounded pins for paddling.
Is he making you epoxy boards?

Matt C
barry
Legend (Contribution King!)

thickies

Post by barry »

Matt
no more epoxy at this time, my new poly boards are just as light the eps.
we have located a great source of foam and Eric is even shaping himself a 3.5" board :shock:
I went from 2.5 up to 2,75 up to 3 but in my opinion you should have no problem adjusting to a 3" board
I now have 2 @ 5'11" - 3" thick, the newer is even 22.5" wide. we have started to add abit here and there. I used to shave it off and now I am adding.
always trying to maintain that sweet balance :roll:
My newest is 6'2" - 3" thick. It felt really good in the water
I will be hauling them over to the North Shore for 10 days this month!!!!!
maybe steeno will get some pics..... that will either validate :shock:
or humiliate :lol:
I will try to get with mutiny on my day off this week and get him to snap some pics of the volume and upload them for you guys.
Cheers,
Barry
red

Post by red »

Red i would love to know how to do the litre equation
Sorry, Steve - the computer does that calculation for me.

I know that a 23 1/22" wide, 6'2" at 2 3/4 thick with rockered top deck will come out at over 40 liters. - enough board for an intermediate (not even a good surfer!) standup surfer up to 110kg!
Why do kneeboaders think they need to be so overgunned with volume? (The above is actually the dims of my last, favourite board, before I decided I wasn't that old and unfit yet :oops: )

Drop the length to 6'0" and flatten the top deck rocker, dome the deck and you'll be in the 39 liter range. This will comfortably carry an 80kg kneeboarder (or a 100kg standup surfer!).

3" thick at 6'0 and 22.5, and you're probably in the same literage as above, or a couple liters less.
strudle
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by strudle »

I only weigh 58-60kg, so how many liters should I be aiming for? My present board has always felt way to wide, big, floaty, but I have got used to it. It's 5'9" 24" 2 1/4". It is fairly thinned out, but still too much. I was thinking of going for a 5' 9", 22 3/4", 2 1/4" and a 5' 7", 23 1/4", 2 1/4" next time. How many liters volume should I be asking for ask for?
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

strudle wrote:I only weigh 58-60kg, so how many liters should I be aiming for? My present board has always felt way to wide, big, floaty, but I have got used to it. It's 5'9" 24" 2 1/4". It is fairly thinned out, but still too much. I was thinking of going for a 5' 9", 22 3/4", 2 1/4" and a 5' 7", 23 1/4", 2 1/4" next time. How many liters volume should I be asking for ask for?
I dont think you should put your shaper in that spot, especially since
you havent acquired a taste/preference in this area ~volume/liters. Additionally your shaper wont know how to meet your
demands, in regards to liters, unless he is strictly using board design software.

I like alot of volume on some of my boards.
I weigh 83 kg, and have a 6'1" 23" wide, 2 3/4" thick board , Tri, that is
amazing at catching waves in todays crowds.
Its around 41 liters.
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

red

Post by red »

Strudle,
Quick answer: Intermediate standup surfer at 60kg +-24liters
+20% kneeboarder "loading" -> 30 liters (2" thick will take you into that ballpark)

Obviously these are average guidelines figures (I have a spreadsheet somewhere that I'll post anon) that are affected by ability, preference, location of thickness. A 60kg standup pro would be looking at around 19 liters aka wafer chip

Which brings us to Andrew's next point. Volume is a proxy for buoyancy, but the density and weight of the material has a bearing, too, which is why compsand/expanded polystyrene boards are often thinner to the point that top decks are concaved to get the thinness but hold tthe rails thickness up.

A quiet rant:I
t troubles me that kneeboarders (including myself!) have 20% volume loading. I personally think that the trend to thick boards is holding back kneeboarding. If the thick board concept was viable, we'd see standup pros on them. Since that hasn't happened since the early 80's, we muct assume that the thick board concept hinders high performance. It certainly limits how/where volume is distributed in a board and puts the rider higher out of the water. My quest is for thinner, high performance boards that paddle well and don't exist when you're surfing the wave.
DYdamo

Post by DYdamo »

Red,
I think dropping from the lip(late take-off's)hinder your theory slightly
with the constant pounding our boards take at that "Fulcrum"point
its only gonna give one way....
Don't get me wrong the thinner the better for me,but if we go too thin there's gonna be alot of pissed off kneelo's with snapped boards and we've got no-one else to blame but ourselves.If you have the time(shaping)and the money,please tell me the thickness you can get to..
all good Damo :D
I'm interested in apathy
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Hey Red, I'd like to get some advice from you in the future
regarding upsizing a model.
Were both using Shape3D.
Thanks
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

I'm firmly with Red on this one. I love the direct response and feel of low volume boards and never been a fan of excess foam. I generally ride 2 3/8" thick which most people who have a go just don't get on with. I like to think of them as surgical scalpels as opposed to slightly blunt instruments :idea:

I've just moved in to the realm of making my own boards, both hand shaped and machine cut to my designs and the two i'm currently having glassed are 33.5 litres and 37.2 litres. Both are 6ft, one is 23 3/4" wide and 2 3/8" thick, the other 24" wide and 2.5" thick just really foiled both to the rails and end to end. The bigger one is the first time i've been near 2.5" thick for a long time! Never had any problems and definitely feel the lower volume is more help than hindrance in most situations except mega slop, but the width helps to keep them moving then.

Looking forward to seeing how they both go and pics will be up soon :D
red

Post by red »

DyDamo,

I'm punting at 2" (30liters) but am far off this at present. 2" requires different build techniques and some design advances to make it paddle like a 30 liter standup board.

My current board is 2.4" and 36l. My rails are around 1.1" thick at 1" in (pretty fine, compared to what I'm seeing around). I try to keep the deck flatter to promote stability, except in the tail where I dome it out. I'm not unduly worried about it snapping - I think board snapping arises more from construction. We can make boards thin - we just have to make sure they are built with good cloth, adequately loaded with good quality resin, properly cured and avoid sand-throughs.
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

could be worth thinking about flex considerations when talking about thicker boards (assuming: less flex = dead feel - past a certain point of course)

(Hello Brynn and Red and Rob and Strudle - nice to "see" you are alive :))
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

whoooops!
Everyone scramble and hide,
Headwax is back! :wink:

Hey Andrew,
Alot of questions on my mind about tail rocker!
lowrider

Post by lowrider »

Red quote:
[/quote]Why do kneeboaders think they need to be so overgunned with volume? (The above is actually the dims of my last, favourite board, before I decided I wasn't that old and unfit yet :oops: )

Drop the length to 6'0" and flatten the top deck rocker, dome the deck and you'll be in the 39 liter range. This will comfortably carry an 80kg kneeboarder (or a 100kg standup surfer!).

3" thick at 6'0 and 22.5, and you're probably in the same literage as above, or a couple liters less.[/quote]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

...we seem to be talking 6' plus as a 'normal' length
... a quicker way to drop the volume; go shorter?? :idea: :wink:
red

Post by red »

lowrider,
I know your agenda :)
Of course you're right :?
I have made a narrower one, too. This seems the better option - it paddles better than a short one, but is happier in bigger / wilder waves than the wide one (or a short one).

The 6'2" board I described would drop a bit over 2 liters if I made it 5'11"
It would take just .1" thickness (let's call it 1/8") to get the volume back. That's 2.5" thick on a 5'11
<minor edits>