I was wrong but now ?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

red
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by red »

Bumping the thread.

Had a chance to ride a new one. Took out 1/2" thickness and dropped the nose rocker 1", with some refinements to rails in the nose. Everything else pretty much the same.
Dropped from 40 liters to 33 or so.

If anything it paddles into waves better than the thick board (that was the point of the front-end refinements). Of course no problems once you are up and running (except when you hit the weak, fat spots). Super responsive rail to rail.

A bit more tiring to paddle in the rip, but pushing under sets is a dream, so overall it pretty much equals out, energy wise.

Stevea - how's the bigger volume working for you?
(I think we're both working towards that similar sweet spot - you from the low end, me from the high end).
stevea
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

i was wrong but now ?

Post by stevea »

Red ,
Ive just reread all the posts on this thread and ive got to say that i cant disagree with anyone especially knowing the calibre of surfing of the respondants ,what i do think is that a more refined board(by volume) such as you are seeking is capable of more radical performance however i feel that the sweet spot is less defined and the board less forgiving its a balance we all look for in different proportions
For me at this point in time my new baby is providing that balance in the right proportion although it hasnt been surfed in any waves of consequence there has been a few opportunities to open up the throttle providing a positive stoke
The nose is a very interesting area that ive experimented with to the point where i am very happy with the results although i am well aware that any explanation may sound like irrelevent gobblygook
To snatch an Indonesian Government slogan "Unity through Diversity" I think it relates so well to kneelos