Rail thickness

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

austo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Rail thickness

Post by austo »

Yes its that old chesnut again.I have read Neil Lukes thoughts on rail design in shapers corner,really good info.Saw a pic of Bazza with one of his boards.

album_showpage.php?pic_id=14133

That board Bazza has got sure looks like it has some thickness in the rails right through to the nose.Does any one know the dimensions of some of the boards the guys were riding on the 2008 Hawaii gathering.. The reason is I have a 6'1x23 1/2 x 3" (thick right through to the nose) pin tail tri. Its a good board, tends to ride fairly flat I guess due to the thickness?. I havnt taken it out in any bigger stuff cos I always worry I wont be able to bury the rails on a good bottom turn and it seems to track on those turns. I always wimp out and go for my 2 1/2" cos I know it will perform.I dont know if I'm not driving it hard enough but it seems to be hard to lay it over. Is it possible it does need the bigger wave with more speed to get it to perform?
I guess I'll never know until I try I suppose.
Any suggestions?

Love the dress Bazza :lol:
Kneelos do it deeper
Headwax.
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Headwax. »

Hello Austo

velcome to the forum.

Your post must have been missed as it is not answered.

Suggestions to get the board to lay over? Maybe some vee under the rider? Vee will help a board go rail to rail.

As far as the other questions? Sorry, don't know.

Baden Smith rode a 7 4 2007 gathering I think. Usual concave quad, normal thickness.

Thickness in the nose probably just gives inertia more than anything.

Thickness in the tail rails will give less tracking theoretically cause the rails aren't buried - strange that yoyu cant bury the rails and yet you track. Might be bottom design and fin placement/(rocker?) as the culprit rather than the more obvious rail thickness.

maybe someone with brains will answer :)

cheers
randiego

Post by randiego »

Austo,
Barry discussed his current thoughts and boards regarding thickness in this forum:

I was wrong but now ?

There might be other places but this is a good start 8) 8)

"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
austo

Post by austo »

Thanks for your input guys, yeah headwax I think your on the money when your talking bottom shape as the other board I mentioned (my favorite) has single to double concave and the thinner rail and I have no problem driving off the bottom. The board with the thicker rail does track but I think it is more tracking on the fins because the board is flatter on the turn . Again I think it may be fin placement as you suggest (maybe a little too far back). because when I try to analyse it I do ride fairly upright and forward on the board so perhaps not getting enough weight over the fins....I dont know, sometimes its easy to over anylize :roll:
How do you spell analyze anyway??? :oops:
Thanks fellas.
Kneelos do it deeper
Bumps

Post by Bumps »

Hi Austo,

Just curious about the tracking board. Are the fins toed in or more straight up the board and how about the camber are the fins laid over?

Regards

Garry
'Your site has been suspended for suspicious activity or complaints'.