Links to "20 Interesting Statements...." thread :)

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Headwax.
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Headwax. »

Hello :)

Posts thick and fast!

A few pics showing fin setup on the last Parkes. Small wave board (two foot and under ;) ) Different cant on the fins front and back which makes them sit in with bottom curve.

[albumimg]5600[/albumimg]

[albumimg]5603[/albumimg]

James, the fin I use in the back is the fin furthest to the right in this pic. Note the curve in the back makes a big difference. When you are tuning your fins tune them mainly on this curve. Always try and keep the base.

I think the MR fins could have a few mill sanded off the back edge but .... I don't want to screw them up :) aas they are beautiful fins. They are good when the surf gets bumpy cause of the depth. Amazing what a mill of fin i the water can do for your control. Heh,

haven't tried the H2 s as I didn't like the template curve. ;)

From memory I used this fcs as the template for the back fins with the MR?

Stemple:
Been riding a Parkes tri in small waves lately for fun. It skoots around very quickly but I find I have to really concentrate on leaning forward and engaging the rails to get it really crank the bottom turn.
You should have seen me whan I got my first quad. :) :) I kept spinning it out in two foot waves till I figured out how to turn it. After a while it becomes second nature, the engaging the rails part!! I still have to concentrate on the end of a roundhouse cutty to keep the weight off the tail. But I think it makes you a "better" surfer????

Mark wrote:
on flex again - i've ground back some FCS larry mabile twinzer fins - deep rake and flex - sweet.
How are these template wise compared to an MR?

Kneebumps wrote:
Enjoying this extended version of the thread! This is why I will always continue to browse the site - it's relevant to my surfing life.
couldn't agree more.

There's a thread somewhere here if you want to make your own fins. Mold them with platster. Use vaseline as the release agent. Very cheap but time consuming and you need a huge weight to press out the resin.

toofast3
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by toofast3 »

Albert...... The boards I ride now, twins, the very front of the fins to tip of the tail are from 16 1/2" to 18 1/2". My Flashpoint that I got from Bruce, there is a extra set plugs set at 24". So, i`m in the zone that you are talking about just without the extra fins.
albert

Post by albert »

toofast3 wrote:Albert...... The boards I ride now, twins, the very front of the fins to tip of the tail are from 16 1/2" to 18 1/2". My Flashpoint that I got from Bruce, there is a extra set plugs set at 24". So, i`m in the zone that you are talking about just without the extra fins.
Sorry... I dont think I explained myself properly in my last post :oops: . What I meant to ask was, have you tried using that board as a regular quad? With big fins in the front and small fins in the back? So instead of having regular sized fins in the back, trying regular sized fins in the front and smaller sized fins in the back.

Also, I usually measure fins the from the back tip of the base of the fin to the back, so my measurements seem to be a little different, I can sorta picture in my head what you mean though. :lol:
james
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by james »

Thanks Mark - I think my local surf shop are getting some H2 demos in, so hopefully I can try before I buy - good to hear they work well in small waves, as that is what I'm looking for.

Thanks Headwax, I've got the MR's - need to experiment with the rears :)

Have you seen the Rainbow speed dialer quad set ?
I bought some recently - the idea is that the two fins profiles together, resemble the shape of a keel fin.

http://store.magicseaweed.com/Rainbow-F ... Item/1230/

They come with or without the small cutaway in the rear fin, mine are without, only ridden them three times and they feel drivey and fast, but not as good in small (waist to shoulder high) surf as my regular quad set up, which is PC5's in front, MR double foiled fiberglass trailers in the rear (same size as GX's)
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

James, hey they look very interesting!

I'll keep an eye out for them as they would certainly be worth a surf on by your recommendation. Hopefully one of the surf shops arround here has a set to have a feel of.

So you're in Brittany, lucky chap? I was thinking of popping into Brittany soon (except they'd throw me out as soon as they heard me try to ask for a loaf of bread). That anywhere near Belle Isle? ;)
KenM

Post by KenM »

James, I was talking to Rich Pavel last week,(designer of the speed dialer fins) and he recommended the Rainbow RS1 RS2 combo for softer surf. Rainbow says that all their fin models are available for Lok Box, FCS, and Futures.
-------------------------
ignoring the ignore button
james

Post by james »

Headwax - Belle Ile is 2-3 hours drive south of where I live.
It would be good to meet you if you get chance to visit further north - when you coming ? - I can lend you a Parkes quad if you need a board :)

Thanks Ken for the Rainbow info, the speed dialers seem to work good for me once the surf gets to head high or bigger.
Last edited by james on Thu May 08, 2008 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
toofast3

Post by toofast3 »

Albert... Yes I have. I used bigger fins in the front and smaller ones in the back. Too much hold
albert

Post by albert »

toofast3 wrote:Albert... Yes I have. I used bigger fins in the front and smaller ones in the back. Too much hold
I see... :)
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

Hello James.

Thankyou very much for the kindness :) ;) :).

I'll Pm you asap.

cheers from oz